i have been practising with the metronome for a while now, but i cant get past 90bpm doing a notes per beat. i alternate pick, and have read the lessons on the site, but dont know how to increase my speed.my goal is to eventually get to at leat 150 bpm doing 4 per beat, but am not sure what to do because i havent had any progress. what else can i do to increase my speed, since i have been at around 90bpm for about 2 monthes now
Time. If you can pick at 90 bpm, then soon you will be able to do 95, then 100, etc. There are not really an obstacles on the speed learning curve, its just a slow steady process. Stick with it.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Trust me man, it takes a LONG time to build up speed. It took me I think a year (of dedicated time learning speed) to go from sloppy, like... 80 or 90 to clean 140 tremolo.

It takes a long time, and eventually you get used to picking faster and faster. It's also a lot about self discipline and eventually you'll find a position or technique, etc. that puts you in the zone for speed picking.

Even if you think you haven't gotten any progress, if you're already feeling more comfortable picking faster than when you were two months ago, then you're well on your way to reaching 150+
stick with it like handlerb said and also, try working on your right hand and left hand coordination also that helped me
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Forget speed, it's not a valid goal because it's not something you can actually practice.

Instead, concentrate on the things that dictate how fast you can play - accuracy, control, economy of movement, timing, synchronisation. If you work on those things then as they improve you'll become faster. If you try to play faster you'll just screw up.

Don't fall into the trap of treating the metronome like a speedometer or thinking it somehow measures how "good" you are - it's just there to keep time for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Forget speed, it's not a valid goal because it's not something you can actually practice.

Instead, concentrate on the things that dictate how fast you can play - accuracy, control, economy of movement, timing, synchronisation. If you work on those things then as they improve you'll become faster. If you try to play faster you'll just screw up.

Don't fall into the trap of treating the metronome like a speedometer or thinking it somehow measures how "good" you are - it's just there to keep time for you.

+1 million