How long on average do you think it takes someone to go from beginner to being able to play stuff like symphony x or stratovarius, yngwie etc?

One of the problems Im finding right now is that a lot of the music I enjoy is wayyyyyyyyy wayyy wayyy beyond my playing ability, case in point: I tried to learn the beginning to the song masquerade and I can play it cleanly at about 1/100th of the real speed.

I know its all dependant on things like natural skill & talent, how much and how proper you practice, your desire, etc. But realistically, Im probably looking at atleast a year or two of consistent playing to be able to begin to touch this genre of music arent I?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
How long on average do you think it takes someone to go from beginner to being able to play stuff like symphony x or stratovarius, yngwie etc?

One of the problems Im finding right now is that a lot of the music I enjoy is wayyyyyyyyy wayyy wayyy beyond my playing ability, case in point: I tried to learn the beginning to the song masquerade and I can play it cleanly at about 1/100th of the real speed.

I know its all dependant on things like natural skill & talent, how much and how proper you practice, your desire, etc. But realistically, Im probably looking at atleast a year or two of consistent playing to be able to begin to touch this genre of music arent I?

You answered your own question.
Realistically...longer. But like you said it depends on a multitude of factors. If you work you ass off and are naturally musically inclined, maybe less than 2 years.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
depends on the person like you said. And the comitment as well i've been working my ass off and i'de say im doing very well for how long i've played. But just work at it and you'll do fine. I need to learn that type of stuff too hahaha. GOOD LUCK!!!! :P
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
It depends more on the number of hours than the number of years you've been playing.

I've been playing for 6 years, there are kids who've been playing for 2 that can shred me under the table (for the record, I can't shred at all). It depends on the amount of and the efficiency of your practice.

Also, half an hour of focussed, dedicated practice time is better than 4 hours of messing around while looking out the window.

And use a metronome.
Quote by sashki
It depends more on the number of hours than the number of years you've been playing.

I've been playing for 6 years, there are kids who've been playing for 2 that can shred me under the table (for the record, I can't shred at all). It depends on the amount of and the efficiency of your practice.

Also, half an hour of focussed, dedicated practice time is better than 4 hours of messing around while looking out the window.

And use a metronome.

not true. when i was first learning guitar i just ran my scales up and down well watching tv, my speed and accuracy improved a TON.
it doesn't take that long. just start playing it slow then speed up. it has never taken me more than a 2-3 days to be able to play a song at full speed just because i break it up into short 5 seconds peices, then when i feel ready i play them together.
Quote by sashki

And use a metronome.

Im finding myself 'messing around' alot. I mean, what ive been doing lately is trying to contruct chord progressions in every key, using different voicings etc, and ive begun to try to tie in arpeggios to play over the chord progressions, that is my messing around - not just hitting random notes and hoping they sound well. Its kind of how I am attempting to learn every note on the fret board. The way I see it is as im trying different keys and learning the notes from each key, im learning the notes in each chord, and thus their positions and one day itll all click im hoping

here is something I wrote in guitar pro in E major, nothing fancy and I cant really play the end at full speed yet, but I think it sounds kind of nifty *shrug*

https://www.yousendit.com/download/cmcxQndIcVhiR0pMWEE9PQ

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON