I am wanting an amp that can get that alleged "Golden-Tone"-Zone at 0-4, and Plexi-esque distortion, crunch, etc. at 5-10. A 2-channel amp where the master volume that keeps the pre-amps tone and drive without effecting the EQ too much, or the amps 'liveness', or muddying up.

I want the amp to be able to do this at bedroom levels, just as good as if it does it at gig volumes. However, nothing louder than around a 15W or 20W. I want a combo btw, under 100lbs. nothing too heavy. also something around $1500 max.

the guitar is going to be a fat-strat, not sure which one yet. The sound I'm going for is an 80's pop-rock (i.e. Bowie, Bon Jovi, Billy Idol, U2, Queen, etc.).

I found one amp that meets the above criteria. The Mesa Express 5:25. I havent gotten a chance to try one yet though. I'm going to the shop to try it out tommorrow.

What other amps would you suggest?
The express sounds nothing like a plexi.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The express sounds nothing like a plexi.

Well, no. It doesnt.

But like I said, it meets the rest of it (the criteria). Also, theres probably a ton of boutique pedals out there that can get pretty close.
Quote by neptune1988
Well, no. It doesnt.

But like I said, it meets the rest of it (the criteria). Also, theres probably a ton of boutique pedals out there that can get pretty close.

Maybe, but that's not the point, the express is a really weak sounding amp and quite overprice for what it is. The nomad, DC, and F series all precede this amp and all do a similar tone without sucking. They're all discontinued, but they aren't too hard to find. Expect anywhere between 400-800 dollars depending on which model and what options.

Also, what is this golden tone zone, and what do you mean by 0-4? Do you mean 0-4 on the volume, gain, what?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Maybe, but that's not the point, the express is a really weak sounding amp and quite overprice for what it is. The nomad, DC, and F series all precede this amp and all do a similar tone without sucking. They're all discontinued, but they aren't too hard to find. Expect anywhere between 400-800 dollars depending on which model and what options.

Also, what is this golden tone zone, and what do you mean by 0-4? Do you mean 0-4 on the volume, gain, what?

Like I said in the original post, I havent tried it out yet.

You know how tubes amp sounds best when its cranked to a certain range (be it clean or overdriven)? The "Golden-Tone"-Zone is that range.

0-4 on the pre-amp, cleans.
5-10 on the preamp, dist/OD.

Master volume is just pure volume, without muddying up, effecting liveness, or anything quirky like that.
Quote by neptune1988
Like I said in the original post, I havent tried it out yet.

You know how tubes amp sounds best when its cranked to a certain range (be it clean or overdriven)? The "Golden-Tone"-Zone is that range.

0-4 on the pre-amp, cleans.
5-10 on the preamp, dist/OD.

Master volume is just pure volume, without muddying up, effecting liveness, or anything quirky like that.

You aren't gonna find an amp like that. All amps sound different the louder you turn them up. You best bet would be to set up a reamping rig set the first amp to whatever volume and gain settings sound best and then run it into a clean amp which will control the overall volume.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You aren't gonna find an amp like that. All amps sound different the louder you turn them up. You best bet would be to set up a reamping rig set the first amp to whatever volume and gain settings sound best and then run it into a clean amp which will control the overall volume.

Thats too much work, man. I'll just try the Mesa, and go from there. Thanks for your help though.
This sounds kind of like a Dumble. The only clone you can afford though is the Ceriatone and it's 50 watts. You might be able to find a used 22 watt Brown Note D' Lite for a bit more though. And if you can get a Silverface Deluxe Reverb for cheap, you can get it modded by Fuchs to ODS specs at 22 watts for probably $1600-$1700.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
try to find an amp that is as close to the 1965 Marshall Bluesbreaker as possible, its a very slightly different Marshall sound, but close
the amp is a 3 knob (vol, treb, bass), class A, 15 watter
there is currently a point to point no PCB version on the market but its $2500 - $3000, so look on ebay
another sound to consider for 80's power pop would be either a Vox AC-30 (what Brian May from Queen used) or a Soldano (great amps, there only down side is that they can sound too 80's)