How do you guys recommend practicing chords and chord changes? Most people just say to keep playing them switching 1 finger at a time if you have to and you will eventually get very fast.

However, I recently came across this guy named pebber brown and his youtube video on memorizing chord says to NEVER EVER practice that way because you will never been able to be fast. His says you should do "air changes" by completely taking your hand off the neck of guitar and then forming the chord in the air as you regrab the neck.

I tried doing it that way, but I just find it impossible to get the chord shape in the air. I don't really know how to "practice" something you can't do at all. I could practicing it if I could form it in like 2 minutes and then grab strings and then improve on the speed, but not being able to do it at all I don't see how you would get any better. My fingers just aren't capable of moving themselves independently while in the air. Like when forming a D I can kind get the the two 2nd fret fingers in right shape, but moving that 3rd finger messes up the other two fingers positons.

So I e-mailed the guy and told him what I thought and he simply replied "too soon, ask me again in a month". I'm just wondering what you guys think on best way to practice chords?
Most players don't think about it.

He's just saying never practise that way because now he's good enough to change chords quickly, he's realised that his option is what you will get to eventually.

Just keep playing songs and playing chords; you'll get faster at it no matter how you do them.
NEVER take your hand completely off the fretboard to change chords. it may work for beginners but when you start playing bar chords and complex open chords it will kill your speed.
Quote by JayLacelle
NEVER take your hand completely off the fretboard to change chords. it may work for beginners but when you start playing bar chords and complex open chords it will kill your speed.

He was just saying it to changing chords in the air, he specifically said to play the chord, then slap your knee with your left hand, and then regrab the chord all at once (and to never ever "walk the chord", make sure all fingers land at once). I'm just wanting to know how many people acctually started learning like this as I am finding it impossible to form the chord in the air.
I'd say practice chord changes slowly, if you're not skilled at it. It can be particularly challenging to change certain chords, especially barre chords, quickly so practice slowly. Over time, you'll eventually form the shapes "in the air" before you strike them (not really high in the air, maybe like a few millimeters). Like blue_strat said, we really don't think about it; our fingers just know what to do. But it all comes with practice. Eventually, the chord shapes will be embedded into the muscle memory of your fingers. There's an excellent book called "Understanding Chord Progressions" which goes over many types of progressions with simple and complex fingerings. It's what I used to practice changing chords. You can check it out here below, it's cheap too:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Chord-Progressions-Guitar-Compact/dp/0825614880/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247455377&sr=1-2
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Warheart1188 at Jul 12, 2009,
I abolsutely agree that the moving one finger at a time method is not as good as practicing moving all the fingers at once. It's harder to start off with and you'll think it's ridiculously slow and boring but it's better in the long run imo. The only exception I can think of to lifting all the fingers and repositioning them is when you hve a 'pivot finger' ie. a finger that is in the same position in both chords, leave that where it is and move the other fingers around it.

Hope that helped
I slide my fingers across the strings when I change chords. Not sure if it's correct, but it works pretty well.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Quote by Kalagaraz
He was just saying it to changing chords in the air, he specifically said to play the chord, then slap your knee with your left hand, and then regrab the chord all at once (and to never ever "walk the chord", make sure all fingers land at once). I'm just wanting to know how many people acctually started learning like this as I am finding it impossible to form the chord in the air.

Wtf, is he in panto or something?

Ignore him, he's simply forgotten how hard it is to learn in the beginning. You're doing things the right way, the more you do it the better you'll get at it and eventually you'll be changing instantaneously.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com