Alright guys I have another question for all your beautiful people.

I'm getting more and more into effects and ambient guitar tones, such as heavy flanger/phaser tones, chorus, and delay panning and such. My gear is in my sig.

Anyway I want to start running my flanger and delay in stereo, but I want to stick with having only one amplifier.

My idea is that since my Bassman has a "Bright" and a "Normal" channel (with two inputs per channel, non-switchable) that I should be able to somehow wire it to the point where each channel will control two speakers (it's a 4x10), and I can plug two seperate cables into the two seperate channels, and mic up the two sides of the amp to create a wider stereo effect.

I think it's an awesome idea, I just wonder if it's plausible? Thanks in advance!
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
That's not how stereo works.

It works by increasing the volume amp A and decreasing it in amp B to create the illusion of movement from amp B to A.

If you mic up two ends of the same amp, you'll just get two feeds of the same sound, with slightly different EQ.

The two channels most likely go through different preamp settings and then the same power amp, so the 2 speakers per channel thing wouldn't work unless you basically created another amp within the one you've got.
Last edited by blue_strat at Jul 12, 2009,
Stereo requires two power amps driving two different speaker cabs.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

this.
Quote by blue_strat
That's not how stereo works.

It works by increasing the volume amp A and decreasing it in amp B to create the illusion of movement from amp B to A.

If you mic up two ends of the same amp, you'll just get two feeds of the same sound, with slightly different EQ.

It's apparent you don't know what I mean. Let me elaborate.

In a stack-style amplifier, you can wire up a cabinet to where two seperate inputs to the cab (two seperate amplifier heads) control two halves/side of the amplifier, so one speaker each in a 2x and two speakers each in a 4x. But in that scenario, there are two seperate amp heads. In my situation, I have a combo amp with two seperate-input channels that can function in parallel. I want to know if there's a way to run those two channels to my speakers in a similar fashion.

I've seen the micing-each-side-of-the-stereo-cabinet done with a 2x12 cabinet and two seperate amp heads, and it worked extremely well, so I know it's possible with a stack, I just want to know about the combo.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Kevin Saale

Not true; a single cabinet can be run in stereo, with two different amp heads controlling half of the speakers in that cab.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
It can be done with a Roland JC120, as it is a stereo amp. It wont work with the Bassman though
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Kevin Saale

There's your answer.

Even if you have a stereo cab you need another amp to drive the other side of the cab

Quote by Denthrare
Not true; a single cabinet can be run in stereo, with two different amp heads controlling half of the speakers in that cab.

I didn't say anything about a cabinet, I said two power amps. Read what I am posting.

Edit: My bad, I did say something about two cabs, but a stereo cab works too

You need two power amps. Some amps (stereo amps like the JC12) have two power amps. Your bassman, while having two channels, has only one power amps.

Edit: V Exactly.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Denthrare

That's the part you're missing. You need two separate amps, or a stereo amp, which the bassman is not.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Edit: My bad, I did say something about two cabs, but a stereo cab works too

It's all good, I'm sorry if I came off as condescending, I just replied based on what you had posted. No hard feelings?

Anyway I appreciate everyone's input! The bad news is that apparently I can't pull this off. The good news is that this provides an excellent excuse to focus my GAS on pulling off a stereo rig. If only I had as much money as I do excuses to spend it.

Thanks again, everyone!
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
It's all good. I suggest running a deluxe reverb clone with your bassman. Allen amps makes one with a master volume.
You know on that topic, I was thinking what amp I should get for stereo; in ya'll's opinion (sorry, in Texas), would it be better to get a similarly voiced amp or a different amp (i.e. British character w/ the Fender Bassman I already have) to run in stereo? The same effects would be running to each amp, obviously.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I dunno I've never done a stereo set up. I just think the bassman would have more mids than a deluxe reverb so they'd both compliment each other.

Edit: Or you could run the bassman cleaner and slightly scooped and pair it with a mid heavy brit amp. Really the sky's the limit and I don't think you could really go wrong.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 12, 2009,