hy guys

I've recently started a guitar project, and it's comming up nicely. The body is cut, and I have the pickups, neck and floyd all routed.

the wood is Cherry,. so it's not the nicest wood fot a see-thru paint.

I was thinking of buying somme really thin flame maple top ( maybe sommething like 3/18 of a inch ? ) and gluying it on top of what I've already done.

the problem... Is there a way that I could cut the exact same cavities ( for floyd, pickups, ect.. ) after that it's glued on ? or maybe before,, I don't really know how I could do that, cuz I don't have alot of experience and I don't know all the tricks you can give me.

and, I'm living in Canada,, so where could I find bookmatch maple top that is really thin... ?

thank you for the advices or comments.

( if you want pics of the actual guitar, ask them.. I'l post them for you )
Post pics, this is UG. What were you thinking?! lol

Anyways, You can do it before or after. Depending how thick the cherry is, and cherry is beautiful by the way, you can use something thicker. If you go on ebay, you may be able to find a flame maple bookmatched veneer which would be 1/8" at most probably.

What you would really want to do, is get the body all glued together, then start from there. Just have a big ole block of wood that you can cut your body from. Then cut out the rough shape, do all routing, then final shaping and so on.

Take a look at some other's builds around here and get an idea of the process.
Yeah, thanks for the advices

the problem Is that I haven't seen sommebody gluying a vneer after that The body is finnished... And I want to know how I could do that, if it;s possible...

and the reason that I reallly want that top is because I hace a coupples of mistakes on the Cherry ( like I had to glue somme extra wood to do one of the horn ) and I would like to have a transparent red finish with a little black fade-out ( with all sides and back black of course )

there's somme pics

(with the carv for the arm)
nice iceman!
tho my friend had a iceman bass...
he didnt like it lol...to top heavy! he couldent gig with it cos it hirt to play for to long..
so he sold it...and got a 5 string!(his old iceman was 4) and that turned out great (also a ibanez)
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
1. drill hundreds of holes in your dining room table
2. attach your vacuum cleaner
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

Alternatively, you could do a burst finish and that would cover the horn extension.
you can always buy a veneer. They look sorta real in certain light and angles. Theyre cheaper and will cover the blemishes. Still, real maple looks better and you get that hologram type thing going on.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
In this sense, a veneer would be real maple. Veneers tend to be a 0.5mm slice of wood, and you'd still get the flamed or quilted appearance, with no real tonal benefit. Also, you'd have to be very careful not to sand it!
yeah,, that what I was thinking,, I dont really mind the tonal benefic, It don't make that muck of a difference to my ear, I'm a not a pro
If you are in Canada, there is a guy on Ebay who does some awesome maple etc at very good prices. Search for Tonewood and you should find him.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
If you are in Canada, there is a guy on Ebay who does some awesome maple etc at very good prices. Search for Tonewood and you should find him.

thanks, I'll go check it out

it should'nt be more then 20$... what do you think about pricing ? ( i don't want to pay too much for a veneer... xD )

edit: the only thing I'm finding for maple tonewood is for violin making.,,,
Last edited by xXavengerXx at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
In this sense, a veneer would be real maple. Veneers tend to be a 0.5mm slice of wood, and you'd still get the flamed or quilted appearance, with no real tonal benefit. Also, you'd have to be very careful not to sand it!

oh i thought it was a sheet of plastic with something printed on. Thanks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
news- I've somme found somme veneers that is the right size for my guitar, with the shipping it would add up to about 40$... and is 1/42 inch thick.. ( there is 5 set of veneer ) is this too much,,, :S ?
I spent about 10 mins on ebay looking for you (yes I'm that sad) and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quilted-Maple-wood-veneer-45-x-10-4-consec-pcs-12-sf_W0QQitemZ130318406708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e57951434&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Quote by ebay seller
It's less than $20 including shipping within the US.

Any use?
Last edited by supergerbil at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by supergerbil

thanks alot. But I'm searching for somme flame maple
Quote by supergerbil

This is the guy in Canada that I mentioned. Awesome stuff.

Fine Woods
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by xXavengerXx
arghhhhhh !! It's not big enough for my body...

What isn't?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani