I have an American Deluxe Strat. I was wondering how hard it would be to put a non-recessed OFR in it and if the pickup route is large enough to put a slanted humbucker in it. Or instead of the OFR route I can get a Super Vee. Does anyone have experience with those and would that be a better option since it's a direct swap?
you should be able to slip in an OFR if its not recessed without any additional routing pretty easily, you willl have to install the mounting pieces and you need to adjust the springs
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Well one thing I'm worried about with the Floyd is the nut. That's permanent and I can't return it to its former glory.
I was considering this on a past guitar, actually. Putting in an OFR is mega hard, because the posts of a floyd usually do not align right where the posts or screws of a vintage trem are screwed in, so you would have to measure out the route for the new posts.

As for the super vee, I was very interested in that as I have seen that it works great. Then I looked at the pricetag, $200+.

If you are really dead-set on your strat having a floyd, unless you are a VERY experienced guitar tech, the Super Vee is your only option. However looking at the pricetage of the Super Vee, it is better to just get a nice, good value guitar with a floyd.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jul 13, 2009,
You'll be able to put a humbucker in it, that guitar is routed for HSH. Just need a new pickguard.
Quote by stratman7
You'll be able to put a humbucker in it, that guitar is routed for HSH. Just need a new pickguard.

I know it's routed for HSH, but I want a slanted humbucker like in those 80s hair metal guitars. If I can't get a slanted humbucker in there, none of the changes are worth it.
A great alternative to the floyd if you don't want to get that involved is a wilkinson VS-100. It should work with the two stock post holes (a little widening, maybe? I don't recall) and you can push down until the strings slack like a floyd. Get a little graphite in the nut (locking tuners are a good idea too) and you're all set.
Quote by Roc8995
A great alternative to the floyd if you don't want to get that involved is a wilkinson VS-100. It should work with the two stock post holes (a little widening, maybe? I don't recall) and you can push down until the strings slack like a floyd. Get a little graphite in the nut (locking tuners are a good idea too) and you're all set.

A wilkinson would work as a direct retrofit. If you look closely at the poles of a wilkinson, one is curved for the pole, while one is just a straight blade, so it will stay in place while accepting all pole spacing. A wilkinson will not get as much dive-ability as a floyd or super vee, but it is much easier to set up and a lot cheaper.

I second Roc8995
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Roc8995

yup you should definitely do this since with a floyd it's not always easy to return your guitar to it's previous incarnation if you don't like having the floyd and plus you still got your ibanez which has a floyd.
The changes would be largely cosmetic. I want to make it into the perfect 80s hair metal guitar. I don't have a problem with the strat trem, I just don't use it at all and I tightened the screws all the way. It stays in tune just fine. Does anyone know if the route is big enough fo the slanted humbucker?