Hi,

I've been playing for a little over a year, and of late have been teaching myself how to bend strings and play some licks on the blues scale. I have an Ibanez RGR421EXFM which was purchased a year ago. I haven't had to change the stock strings so far, but I am just wondering if its a good idea to change them to make it easier to bend strings.

When I compare what I'm doing to bend strings with what video tutorials do, its pretty much the same thing but I don't get the same feel or tone. Of course, I am only using an entry level amp (Marshall MG10CD) but even so, the amount by which I can bend strings is way less than what this player does for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ak342Xpts&feature=related.

I have a set of D'Addario Nickel Wound EXL120 strings which came free with the guitar. Is it a good idea to use Stratocaster strings instead? Is there a noticeable difference between two types of strings in bent notes? I don't want to get a new amplifier until I am able to play reasonably well, so I can only play with what I have. Would be happy to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
You should change your strings at least every few months. But the reason you're having trouble bending is probably because of the trem. You can try putting more springs in it.
he probably uses 10's on his guitar, the standard guage for electric. i wouldn't go any lower than that... you just need to build up finger muscles... one tip/trick is to use 3 fingers on the string that you're bending... one finger fretting the note, and 2 other fingers behind it to help bend.... that's what most people do...

and if you've had the same strings on for a year, yes you should change them.. strings rust/build up gunk under them from dead skin to pocket lint.... put the new ones on.. they're shinier too.. lol

look up youtube vids on how to change strings. good luck
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
The amp you're using has very little to do with bending strings, so no worries about that.

I trust that your guitar is a hardtail?

In that case, you won't have to bend your strings AS hard as you would if you has, say, a floating tremolo, but nevertheless, you will have to pay attention to the intonation of things.

But now that I think of it, I don't really understand you question.

Are you concerned with bending to pitch?

Or is it some kind of noise, such as fret buzz that you're concerned with?
GTFO my sig
Generally speaking, it's easier to bend strings with lighter string gauges "9's" but if you're set-up is done badly, then a heaver gauge will be easier to have better consistency.

the strings are probably similar, most people can't tell the difference, or don't worry about it.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
But now that I think of it, I don't really understand you question.

Are you concerned with bending to pitch?

Yes

Or is it some kind of noise, such as fret buzz that you're concerned with?

Not fret buzz, but really poor sustain on bends. So I was wondering if that has to do with the amp, because this guitar is supposed to have a good sustain.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGR421EXFM

Btw, I have the older version with the "designed by EMG" pickups and a 3 way pickup selector.
Last edited by darkmav at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by darkmav

Not fret buzz, but really poor sustain on bends. So I was wondering if that has to do with the amp, because this guitar is supposed to have a good sustain.

Btw, I have the older version with the "designed by EMG" pickups and a 3 way pickup selector.

The length of sustain depends on various factors,

One, of course being the amount of gain on your amp, (I'd bet it's nearly dimed)

Two, the strength of which you are bending your string.
(A lot of the time, larger, or just clumsier fingers will deaden a string's vibration.)
But that's easily remediable.

I'd be willing to bet it comes down to the action of your guitar's neck, or the positioning of your fingers.

I don't really see how your small marshall can rob your sustain.
I could always be wrong though.
Have you any problems with your amp?
GTFO my sig
well seeing as ibbys leave the factory with 9s on then i doubt his has 10s on the free pack you got is exactly the same strings that i`ve been using for the last 20 years and joe satriani uses them also on his solo stuff. and have no trouble bending them it`s just your strings are dead and have probably been that way for the last 6 months time to do a restring.

dont buy fender strings especially if they have the bullet end.........enough said
Quote by JELIFISH19
You should change your strings at least every few months. But the reason you're having trouble bending is probably because of the trem. You can try putting more springs in it.

Taking strings off makes it easier to bend.

EDIT: I meant springs lmao
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 20, 2009,
Thanks for the replies...got dAddario EXL120 with the guitar..are these okay?

Ok let me put it this way...how can one get a blues sound from a guitar like the RGR421EXFM which appears to have been made for the metal player?
Quote by darkmav
Thanks for the replies...got dAddario EXL120 with the guitar..are these okay?

Ok let me put it this way...how can one get a blues sound from a guitar like the RGR421EXFM which appears to have been made for the metal player?

play from your soul. and have your clean channel just on the edge of overdrive. though i see you have a marshall mg so i'm not sure if that's going to be possible
Quote by azn_guitarist25
play from your soul. and have your clean channel just on the edge of overdrive. though i see you have a marshall mg so i'm not sure if that's going to be possible

Yeah, MG´s have the greatest sound ever, but in order use that sound you have to sell your soul to the devil. That makes it hard to play from the soul.
Quote by Vlasco
Yeah, MG´s have the greatest sound ever, but in order use that sound you have to sell your soul to the devil. That makes it hard to play from the soul.

Yeah I also heard you have to meet at the crossroads at 6:66 which is sort of hard when that time doesn't actually exist!
Well... Symphony X's Paradise Lost album is 66:6 long. They made that running time possible.

I think it was 66:6. I remember looking at the back of the CD and noticing that they changed the format of the running time to make it say 666.
Eh I should of put 6:66am but meh lets skip to the point you'll have a hard time trying to get a blues sound out of the MG.
What are you guys trying to say?

Will getting a new amp help?
Last edited by darkmav at Jul 20, 2009,