Okay, so a while back I bought a guitar for $180, I was stoked about it because it had a locking trem and everything that I was looking for in my next guitar... but then I took the neck off a few minutes ago, and saw this (sorry, crappy cell phone pics):

This is plywood isn't it? I'm almost positive it is, but I thought I'd make sure. So now, I feel like a complete noob for being so stoked about this guitar in the first place (I was even bragging about it on Myspace, lol), I was planning on switching the pickups out and everything.... but now I don't know if it's really worth it?
Those pics make it hard to tell, they're too blurry.
Does it look like lots of thin pieces glued together? If so, its plywood.
Edit: Looks like ply in the second pic.
Last edited by littlephil at Jul 13, 2009,
Well, that's the thing. I have a plywood guitar body lying around, and it looks different from this. That one is more multi-colored... this one looks kinda different. And also the other one I have, its all evenly layered, like

________
________
________
________
________
________

This one is like that on the sides, but on the bottom side right above the pickups, it looks wavy.

It's a shame, I really was liking the Kahler trem.
Looks like it. You can take a peek under the pickguard to make sure.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
I can't tell from the pics, but it could just be layers in the wood. Plywood has a layer of like sawdust or something between each layer of wood.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
okay, so before you bought it you obviously must have played it and liked how it sounded, right? so why the hell would it make a difference now that you found out it's made of plywood? it's still the same guitar you liked enough to buy, the same guitar you were stoked about and bragging about on myspace.

More pics. I'm pretty sure it's plywood. What a waste of a perfectly good Kahler.

make a new guitar body yourself and use the neck bridge and whatever other parts you wanna use then there's no problem and you can make it however you want or you can give it to me if its really that horrifying for you
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
personally it doesnt look like plywood to me
plus how is it a waste of a kahler? you can just take it off
EDIT: how much was it?
EDIT2: oops i read probably this time
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Cort AD350CE
Homemade Strat
Marshall 10CD
Behringer UV300

Dremel/Bandsaw Fund:
$0/$400
Last edited by chrismetalhead at Jul 13, 2009,
Looks like agathis to me, I sanded my friends squier which is agathis and it looked like that. A big chunk of pale wood with dark lines through all of it.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
it is possible that like random brad said, they could just be grain lines. Are you sanding down the paint on the body? Or are you just curious to see whether its plywood?
strap some EMGs and ur kahler problem is gone
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
+1 to the agathis statement,

i keep seeing tons of cheap guitars popping up around here with those khalers, theres an interesting V in the pawn shop for $80 with one, that worth it?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
More pics that are no help . . . Again, a look under the pickguard will give you a sure answer. Take the pickguard off, take a picture (micro setting!!!), and post it.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
not plywood

looks like wood grain

Even high ply (11ply or more) you can tell what it is.

this is a plywood guitar

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/0ca365ef33a1dbf3dc500812682ca7b3e0d94d81.pjpg

and heres the side

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/dd2261736eda1d750fd615adffce1872763142ec.pjpg
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Last edited by Castiel at Jul 13, 2009,
Well it could just be a wood guitar sandwiched between two veneers.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
If your camera does not have macro mode, then back the heck away and try to take a focused picture!!!
I know you are trying to get a close-up, but a picture with proper focus, even if taken from much further away will be infinitely more helpful.
For Pete's sake I can tell that your floor is red oak more easily than I can see the guitar!
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 13, 2009,
I don't think it's plywood. My friend had a plywood guitar and you will know if it is. The tone is very empty and it is too light. In your first pics you can see that the lines are close to each other and the same color. If it was plywood then they would be farther apart and more multi-colored like you said.

Quote by noisefarmer
okay, so before you bought it you obviously must have played it and liked how it sounded, right? so why the hell would it make a difference now that you found out it's made of plywood? it's still the same guitar you liked enough to buy, the same guitar you were stoked about and bragging about on myspace.

I agree with noisefarmer, if you liked it why does it matter? I would be surprised if it turned out to be plywood but even so, there was something about it that you liked. I find it hard to believe that it's "a waste of a perfectly good Kahler" when there is something you like about it.
RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Quote by noisefarmer

Well tbph, I played it through a solidstate Peavey practice amp before I bought it, which doesn't exactly show the characteristics of the guitar's sound that well....

And also, up to this point, I've only played it through solidstate amps (my Fender's got input jack problems atm) so I don't know what it would sound like through a decent tube amp. But you're right, it shouldn't matter. It just makes me wonder if it's worth putting money into.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Looks like agathis to me, I sanded my friends squier which is agathis and it looked like that. A big chunk of pale wood with dark lines through all of it.

+1 to the agathis statement

Hmm, maybe. I'm a wood noob (notice that I can't even recognize plywood so I wouldn't know, but my pics are crap, so they might not be the best source.

not plywood

looks like wood grain

Even high ply (11ply or more) you can tell what it is.

Yeah, that's what my other body looks like (came off of a Dean Eighty-Eight Series, which I've never even heard of). That's one of the reasons I wasn't %100 sure.
Quote by CaptDin
Well tbph, I played it through a solidstate Peavey practice amp before I bought it, which doesn't exactly show the characteristics of the guitar's sound that well....

And also, up to this point, I've only played it through solidstate amps (my Fender's got input jack problems atm) so I don't know what it would sound like through a decent tube amp. But you're right, it shouldn't matter. It just makes me wonder if it's worth putting money into.

well, it's worth it even if it's just for testing out mods and doing things to other guitars that you'd be hesitant to try without practicing. plus the whole idea of modding a guitar is to make it better.
Quote by bagpipemetal
That's not plywood, It's Agathis.

Agathis wood grain

THIS is Plywood,

Plywood Wood Grain

If it sounds good, it is good.

Okay, now I think it's definitely Agathis. It doesn't look ANYTHING like that second picture (but my Dean body does). I just thought the grain looked too mechanical to be a natural wood, but then again what do I know. But I think I'll still post some pics of the front cavities, I took off the bridge and the pickguard, it's got a good sized coat of paint on the inside, but you can still see the grain. It still has the "layered" look, but in parts it gets pretty wavy, and I know (now anyway) that plywood is usually a steady "pancake stack" of wood layers.
Quote by noisefarmer
well, it's worth it even if it's just for testing out mods and doing things to other guitars that you'd be hesitant to try without practicing. plus the whole idea of modding a guitar is to make it better.

Eh, I wasn't thinking anything too extreme, just new pickups and pots, mainly... I don't have the experience/know-how/confidence to do any serious changes. but yeah, I do see your point.
That's a chair... and I'm surprised nobody's made fun of the upholstry yet.
My plywood Kramer sounds great...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
My plywood Kramer sounds great...

I think that plywood is sort of a hit or miss kind of thing, because even plywood has different levels of quality. My friend played a plywood 80s Dean (the remains are now in my possession) for like 6 months without knowing it was plywood, until the headstock broke off so he decided to sell it. Of course he was playing through a solid-state Fender FM....
dude, like someone said awhile back, if you liked the sound enough to buy it in the first place and brag about it, then just put it back together and play it. that bridge isnt world famous for sounding great anyway so dont worry about chasing tone, if it sounds good to you its good.
Quote by CaptDin
I think that plywood is sort of a hit or miss kind of thing, because even plywood has different levels of quality. My friend played a plywood 80s Dean (the remains are now in my possession) for like 6 months without knowing it was plywood, until the headstock broke off so he decided to sell it. Of course he was playing through a solid-state Fender FM....

Well, it's not really plywood, but it IS a 10 ply maple body
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well the thing was I would probably need a new string lock, which would run me about $35, and I didn't want to spend the money if it wasn't worth it. But as long as it's solid wood, there shouldn't be a problem anyways. I wasn't looking to make some godlike holy grail out of this axe, I just wanted a decent guitar with a locking trem, and I have heard that the brass rollers on the Kahler Flyer aren't that great, but they're good enough for me, after all they're replaceable.

But yeah, now I'm like 95% sure it's not plywood, so really this thread is over. Bye, and thank you for playing.

Don't look like plywood to me

I know.... this thread is over. As in, we've come to the end. The mystery has been solved. It's Agathis. :P Thanks for playing.