i have just sanded down the bass to what i believe is the sanding sealer ( right before the wood) now i a stuck on what to do its the my first guitar painting. do i need to wipe it down with anything to remove oils? will paint thinner on any common household alcohol based agents work? after that comes primer i belive although i saw some movie on a preson painting right onto the sanding sealer. i went the the store and bought the only primer they had it was Dupli color sandable primer. i saw that i needed to stay away from enamel primer and look for acrylic primers. although the spray can did not say either. the link is http://www.duplicolor.com/products/premium.html its called Premium Sandable Primer parts number DAP 1689. can i use this or do i need to buy something else? if so be specific on what i need link would be nice to.
Thanks ill be back with more questions when i lacquer it.
yes, it will work. just follow the instructions on the can. on the refinishing thread, there is a link to a video about this. all of duplicolor's stuff are acrylic. the can does say it, but it's kinda hard to find.

EDIT: by the way, what are you using as your paint? duplicolor? that's what i would recomend unless you have some sort of professional machine
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Ya. I just used Duplicolor SP yesterday and ALMOST everything turned out great. (Though the mistake I made was with the paint not primer)
yea i am using dupli color spray paint my first guitar so kinda iffy on what exactly to do. should i wipe it down with anything before i prime it? something that might be common in a house? only 16 and cant drive to the hardware store yet.
Quote by hellar
yea i am using dupli color spray paint my first guitar so kinda iffy on what exactly to do. should i wipe it down with anything before i prime it? something that might be common in a house? only 16 and cant drive to the hardware store yet.

yea, that's all you should have to do. you don't have to do anything special to it, just make sure that A) there arent any dust particles and B) it's dry. don't worry man, it pretty easy. just take it slow so you dont have any runs. take as along as it needs for it to be done right.

if you want a confidence booster, watch that duplicolor video in the refinishing thread. it'll show you how easy it is.

good luck!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by hellar

Do you have any Acetone in the house?

You can use that to wipe it down. The main thing you want to do, is while wiping it down, don't touch the guitar after that with bare skin.

Fix a handle to your (masked) neck pocket, and something you can hang it from.

Wipe the guitar down with acetone or something alcohol based (vodka?!) and while it is still wet, wipe it off with a different cloth.

Spray around the edges first, then do the front and the back, try and overlap each pass by about 50%.

How good do you want the finish to be?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
just put my first coat of primer on. some paint covered the wood completely and some part you could still see some wood though the mist of white. should i wet sand it after every coat then re aply? and use like 3 coats of primer?
Quote by hellar
just put my first coat of primer on. some paint covered the wood completely and some part you could still see some wood though the mist of white. should i wet sand it after every coat then re aply? and use like 3 coats of primer?

ok...i didnt wet sand at any point and my finish turned out pretty freaking awesome IMO. personally, if i were to wet sand, it would be after the last coat of clear coat had completely dried.

but

it seems that the rest of the forum would indeed wetsand after each coat. so
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by hellar

If you really want to know, then you need to be in the Finishing Thread.

If you ask for my advice, you will get it, but do not question it ("do I really HAVE to....?")

You may of course ask questions

Read this, follow the painting guide link.

Quote by Skeet UK
Cool. Reason I ask is, because otherwise I write out a long post explaining what needs to be done and the first response is; "that seems like a lot of effort" or "do I really need to do this and this". Which irritates me, because if it wasn't necessary, I would not have said it or would have said it is optional.

Don't worry too much about reading guitar refinishing tutorials, because none of the ones I have ever seen are very good, when it comes to paint.

Read this one:

Painting Tutorial

Then watch all 3 of these videos on Youtube.
The guy is Ed Hubbs, painting legend. The design he is doing is not like yours, but what he does will show you how to use masking (transfer paper) the right way, in the right order to get what you want. He also shows you how to correct mis-tapes (areas where the masking hasn't fully covered what was intended).

Part 1

Another guide to using masking (not video)

You need to think about what order to paint and what to paint over what and you need to make sure that you guitar is prepared properly to the primer stage, before you think about colour.

If you sprayed the whole thing black, then the reds and yellows will be darker when you spray them over it.

So you could spray it all black, apply mask right over, then cut out your inner area of the design (the larger bit) then spray several white coats over it, to help keep the colour up.

Then stick your mask back in carefully and then cut out the red area only, leaving the inner yellow area masked (so it should be, from out to in:Mask, paint, mask).

Spray the red area.

Then stick the mask back in and cut out your yellow area, remove that area only, then spray your yellow.

Then you can peel it all off and see what you have.

An alternative would be to use fine line tape for the design, with regular masking tape outside of that.

I would use a spray gun (you can use a spray can) for the larger areas and then an airbrush for the design areas.

Touch up an mis-tapes.

Clear the whole thing with at least 3 good coats of clear, then wet sand that to P600 and then another 3 coats of clear, then you could think about wet sanding with P1200.

All sanding should be done with a block wherever possible and by hand, very carefully on any edges. Go over the edges |||||| rather than long the edges ______.

If you want ongoing advice, PM me.

I suggest looking at youtube (maybe Ed's other videos) for guides as to using masking etc.

What you want to do, is not going to be easy, even I would have to think about it, but you CAN make it look better than the image you posted if you want to be clever, with drop shadows or even chrome edges etc.

The main thing you want to look at, is the Painting Guide I linked to. near the top of the quote.

As for primer. You want an even coverage of a minimum of two coats, probably 3 with spray cans, so teh guitar is all one colour, then you want to use a guide coat.

You MUST, get the primer stage right, before you do anything else. This is where the work is.

If you don't, it will show when you have finished and you will have wasted your time.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!