im looking to buy my first electric guitar

do you guys have any good recommendations? im looking for something under/around 400 bucks that would be very versatile for what i wanna play. i was looking at the epiphone les paul 100. but i figured i should get other opinions. thanks for the help
Quote by BlastedCorpse
very versatile for what i wanna play.

Would help if we knew that. I would stay away from low end Epiphones. Is $400 for guitar and amp or just guitar? Are you willing to buy used? Are there any shapes you prefer?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Reference bands?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
interpol,the strokes, queens of the stone age, stuff like that.

well just the guitar for now. i am willing to buy used(ive been lurking craigslist).

i'm kinda hooked on the les paul shape.
You would probably be better off saving a bit and buying an Epiphone Les Paul standard.

Or get an extra $100 and get http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-1956-Goldtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=518320. Free Epi LP Hardcase valued at $140.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jul 13, 2009,
theres nthin wrong with an epi lp 100, i had 1 for a couple of years and it was solid sa, stayed in tune, sonded decent, if you get it set for 10-46 it blazes!its the epi specials that you orta stay away from.
Quote by Dr.feelgud
theres nthin wrong with an epi lp 100, i had 1 for a couple of years and it was solid sa, stayed in tune, sonded decent, if you get it set for 10-46 it blazes!its the epi specials that you orta stay away from.

what does 10-46 mean?
Quote by BlastedCorpse
what does 10-46 mean?

String thickness.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Dr.feelgud

There's nothing wrong with the LP 100, but there's nothing great about it either.
The Washburn I linked has the Buzz Feiten tuning system, Grover 18:1 tuners, and a great mahogany body.
That's hard to find in a sub$400 guitar.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
There's nothing wrong with the LP 100, but there's nothing great about it either.
The Washburn I linked has the Buzz Feiten tuning system, Grover 18:1 tuners, and a great mahogany body.

what exactly does that all mean?
Quote by BlastedCorpse
what exactly does that all mean?

It means you have great tuners (Locking, with an incredibly good gear ratio), you have a great nut (The Buzz Feiten makes it practically impossible to have bad intonation), and you've got a great piece of wood, for the meaty thick sound of an LP.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel

You also get an actual les paul shape with grover tuners if you buy an Epi LP standard/studio.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
But they aren't 18:1 locking.
it's all coming back

How often do you need ultra high quality locking tuners on a hardtail? Unless you enjoy raping your guitar.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
The locking bit doesn't matter too much, but can make a huge difference in tuning stability. The 18:1 bit makes a huge difference in tuning. That's how accurately the tuners tune. They won't be jerky like Epiphone's tuners. They'll feel smooth, and be very responsive.
it's all coming back

+1 to the guy who said the Agile AL-3100. There aren't much brands which are selling guitars for well below their actual value imo.

Agiles are incredible.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG