Page 1 of 3
So what do you all think of it?

What are it's pros and cons?

Is it a good thing in society or bad? Is it both in different contexts?

Personally, I think it's bunch of shit. Nationalistic pride can really annoy me. I don't understand how someone can take pride in something somebody else did that they had nothing to do with just because they were born within the same space on a map. Also I find these same people hardly take responsibility for the bad things their country does, and even if they do, it's still illogical. But hey, this is just an observation and i'm open to different opinions. Go!
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Nothing wrong with some kind of national pride, but the belief that one nation > another is bullshit. As is doing horrible things for your country, most laughable thing I've ever heard.
nationalism, IMO, is loving your heritage, no matter where it is or what your country's done. because the way I see it, if you're not proud of where you came from, you're not really proud of yourself.
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”

“Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.”

Pretty much sum it up for me.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Nothing wrong with pride, but I believe there IS something wrong with feeling superior because of your country.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I love my country, wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. What is wrong with national pride? The fact that I was born with freedoms, and given the opportunity to make something of myself is amazing... A large percentage of people are stuck in their country sewing shoes for nike or working the fields. I'd rather study at university than starve in the African Desert. I'd rather eat apple pie on the 4th of July than sewing shoes in Honduras.

I apologize for annoying you with the love for my country.
Quote by Gibson06
I love my country, wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. What is wrong with national pride? The fact that I was born with freedoms, and given the opportunity to make something of myself is amazing... A large percentage of people are stuck in their country sewing shoes for nike or working the fields. I'd rather study at university than starve in the African Desert. I'd rather eat apple pie on the 4th of July than sewing shoes in Honduras.

I apologize for annoying you with the love for my country.

i think you'd like sweden.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
I'm by no means a nationalist, this country continues to fail me since childhood.
There are certain things great about Japan that exceed other countries, but overall I HATE the cultural comformity and the lack of independence among the people.
Basically, if you try to express your opinions in this country, others will think you're nuts.
I can't stand that pile of bull****.

So I won't be offended by any Japanese/Asian jokes or mocks, they're always funny.

But I don't think it's wrong. It's just dangerous when it gets into your blood and you start hatin' on other nationalities, cultures, and ethnicities because patriotism reached the point of national supremacy inside you.
That's when the mudslinging starts, so yeah it is a type of desiese.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Nationalism and racial pride are both ridiculous. Why should you be proud of something you have no influence over?
Quote by eoieanoifeiojpi

Funny you should post that, because that's one of this things that got me thinking about it. Other than just general observations in life and other comedians/social critics.

This too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQEcMTSgg5w
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Quote by nakki
There it is. *ching-ching-ching*

That tells it perfectly.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.
Quote by nakki
There it is. *ching-ching-ching*

That tells it perfectly.

It's funny that I don't know any Japanese variant of the American stereotype of the Chinese language.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
it's alright, just don't take it too far.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
it's alright, just don't take it too far.

I know it's kinda bias and I don't support affirmative action, but I think there are a handful of cultures that you should never joke about and a handful that are just funny.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Patriotism can be annoying at times, but is generally alright.
Nationalism is down right wrong.
I am a globalist (if that is a term)
I feel a citizin of the world,
not so much a dutchman
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I am a globalist (if that is a term)
I feel a citizin of the world,
not so much a dutchman

This. I don't consider myself a Pole or an Englishman, but more just a human.
Quote by Gibson06
I'd rather eat apple pie on the 4th of July than sewing shoes in Honduras.

Who sew shoes as a direct result of your country's actions in South America. Just saying.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by radomu
I'm by no means a nationalist, this country continues to fail me since childhood.
There are certain things great about Japan that exceed other countries, but overall I HATE the cultural comformity and the lack of independence among the people.
Basically, if you try to express your opinions in this country, others will think you're nuts.
I can't stand that pile of bull****.

I know how you feel. I hate the way nationalistic pride over here involves drinking yourself ****less, puking over your girlfriend and waking up in a gutter. It's just plain stupid. I have to admire the french - they're the only people who routinely slag off their national anthem for being bloodthirsty radicalist bull I love that!
In my country they wanted to make it compulsory for schoolkids to say a pledge (to the country) everyday at school. (kinda like in America i think-not sure). Thats bullshi*. I have no problem with someone been a patriot-its a good thing, but forcing it upon others annoys me. How can you make a pledge compulsory?
Some people love their country and some people are indifferent-and there is nothing wrong with that.
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Quote by Union Of V
I know how you feel. I hate the way nationalistic pride over here involves drinking yourself ****less, puking over your girlfriend and waking up in a gutter. It's just plain stupid. I have to admire the french - they're the only people who routinely slag off their national anthem for being bloodthirsty radicalist bull I love that!

We have something similar here.

In Japanese society, the elder generation is always right.
Japanese freshmen in college are constantly pressured by the Seniors and the Juniors to drink a pint of alcohol without stopping, and it's rude to refuse for the younger.
A lot of them are dying from this by getting heart attacks, and this kind of bull**** and that pisses me off.
When the older people, even if they're like a year older, abuse their privaledge over the younger, that's completely missing the point.

So I openly said that this tradition of "respecting" the elder is stupid in my class.
Everyone else was shocked as if I just said "Satan is God".
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I don't like nationalism

Patriotism is just nationalism with a fake moustache they found in a joke shope
Quote by thewho65
Patriotism - Good

Nationalism - Not so good... be careful

Jingoism - Nazi Germany

That is all.

Jingoism is the BEST.
All of you deserve to be ruled under America
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I think, that to a degree, everyone should support their country. That doesn't mean giving your 100% affection and following the leaders blindly, but giving an amount of respect that you would give, say a colleague at your job or a cousin that you haven't ever met.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I think, that to a degree, everyone should support their country. That doesn't mean giving your 100% affection and following the leaders blindly, but giving an amount of respect that you would give, say a colleague at your job or a cousin that you haven't ever met
How about no
MY country (like a lot of countries) was built on nationalism Not necassarily the racisty, superiority complex nationalism, but nationalism nontheless.
Quote by Jacek.W
In my country they wanted to make it compulsory for schoolkids to say a pledge (to the country) everyday at school. (kinda like in America i think-not sure). Thats bullshi*. I have no problem with someone been a patriot-its a good thing, but forcing it upon others annoys me. How can you make a pledge compulsory?
Some people love their country and some people are indifferent-and there is nothing wrong with that.

Constitutionally you should be able to repeal that...

Jingoism - Nazi Germany

You do realise jingoism was practically invented by the British?
Quote by Union Of V
Constitutionally you should be able to repeal that...

You do realise jingoism was practically invented by the British?

Actually, Jingoism was promoted by the Americans, no one really invented it.
It's concept existed throughout history, from the Isrealites conquering the Levant region.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Bull**** for weak people who have to take pride in their country cause they can't take any in themselves.
Quote by webbtje
Nothing wrong with some kind of national pride, but the belief that one nation > another is bullshit. As is doing horrible things for your country, most laughable thing I've ever heard.

Not really laughable, since they're horrible, amirite? But basically this. But I believe that the nations of the world should unite, to form the nation called earth.
Last edited by jimmyled at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by radomu
Actually, Jingoism was promoted by the Americans, no one really invented it.
It's concept existed throughout history, from the Isrealites conquering the Levant region.

The concept was embodied in a British pre-WWI song, so it's considered originarily British ("We don't want to fight, but by Jingo if we do, we've got the ships, we've got the guns..." something like that). Of course it's cropped up here and there, but not been called "Jingoism".
It's killed a whole lot of people. Personally, I'm not a fan.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
It's the worst when people use the bible to justify the superiority of their country.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Page 1 of 3