i dont really ever come in the pit but i thought this was the only appropriate place.
apologies if it's not.

i am about to embark on a long summer holiday in august
i'll need some reading to keep me entertained.

i'm a big collector of comic books, in particular, super hero comic books. ive been collecting several titles of marvel comics for 8 years as well as occasionally venturing into DC publishings.
i'm looking if anyone could suggest some lengthy titles/graphic novels worth checking out to take on my holidays?

please take into account the likely-hood of whether its worth suggesting. yes, i have heard of watchmen and yes i have read it.

thanks guys
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

Read the Bible. As far as fiction goes, there's some great stories in there!
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Read the Bilbe. As far as fiction goes, there's some great stories in there!

you mean the bilbo?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
ive read that already ^_^

(not religious, but i studied religion at college)

theGentleSquid

august is summer in britain.

summer = june, july, august

theGentleSquid

Quote by destöroyah
august is summer in britain.

summer = june, july, august

What I meant was, you are starting a summer holiday in August. A bit late, isn't it?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
A summer holiday in august?

I always read your username as MetalGCSE

Bored Of The Rings and the Soddit

oh wait not really comics but good fun
Quote by Chilli 3000
I always read your username as MetalGCSE

Bored Of The Rings and the Soddit

oh wait not really comics but good fun

It's better than MetalGeese, as someone called me the other day.

Edit: You should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_Days_of_Night

I've never read it, but it's a graphic novel, at least.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 13, 2009,
I don't know if you're a video game fan, but the Halo graphic novel was pretty amazing IMO.
I have an idea, use your vacation time to actually go on vacation instead of spending it reading comics and graphic novels! Oh wait...that makes no sense now does it? Do you fap to these comics? Maybe you should find a girl!?!? I'm confused as to why you would want to spend a summer vacation indoors reading ****ing comics.

/rant
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
It's not a comic book, but just read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
Quote by crackhutch
I have an idea, use your vacation time to actually go on vacation instead of spending it reading comics and graphic novels! Oh wait...that makes no sense now does it? Do you fap to these comics? Maybe you should find a girl!?!? I'm confused as to why you would want to spend a summer vacation indoors reading ****ing comics.

/rant

im looking for a point? i dont see one.

theGentleSquid

If you liked Watchmen, I suggest V for Vendetta or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
"I want the theatre without the drama. I want the opera without the soap."

Is this the part where I say I'm a girl?
i read them.
any thing by alan moore can generally be assumed to be awesome.

theGentleSquid

Everyone is suggesting alan moore, the only comics i have ever read are V for Vendetta and watchmen, as im one of those people who like to compare the book vs film. Otherwise i dont like to read comics.
The only other comic i have read is The Invisibles - Grant Morrison.
I only read a bit of it, as it was lent to me but i enjoyed it and it is on par with V and watchmen.

For a book reccomendation you could also try reading the book that inspired the invisibles, - RObert Anton Wilson - The Illuminatus Trilogy.
It was my summer reading a few years ago and was perfect for it.
Its kind of a sci-fi based novel and is very comic-book like, its full of conspiracies, jokes, satire, philosphy, etc
It might be best to read one of RAW's non-fiction books first to understand his philosophys to get the most out of the novel, prometheus rising is the best and easy to find a PDF on the web.
And then read about the book to know what you're getting into, as it does have an unusual writing style, but it is well worth it, it gets a lot easier once you get 100 pages into it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminatus_trilogy

In fact, i reccommend this above the Invisibles, this should be at the top of my post.