2 Years ago I bought a Dean from Hell ML. Gorgeous. Played beautifully and really caught the crowds attention.

One day I leaned it against my bed and it got knocked, fell forward straight onto my distortion pedal and snapped the neck...

I was distraught, but I claimed house insurance on it and went and bought a Schecter Blackjack ATX.

Now, today I opened up the case and looked at my ML today, took a few pictures and im asking you guys if you think this is fixable and if so how much can you estimate. I live in the UK so if you can give me a price in £'s that'd be very helpful.

Thanks Guys.
ugh sry for your loss but i think its a tad beyonf repair, its all the way to the fretboard
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Sure it is fixable but it won´t be cheap. Is the fretboard cracked through also?
It's repairable. Wood glue and clamps would do.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm

I wouldn't suggest you to do it yourself, but a little info for you would be helpful. A shop would charge you £30 to £150 depending on severity.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
You could always buy a new neck.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
similar sort of thing happened to this guy I know's les paul - this guitar tech managed to fix it up for him
Gear:
Gibson SG
B.C. Rich Warlock
Squire stagemaster

Marshall Tsl 100
Marshall 1960A

Zoom G9.2tt
Quote by gstacey1
You could always buy a new neck.

Not on a neck through.

If the fretboard is not cracked at all then it is a surprisingly easy fix. If it is cracked through then it is hard to get the angles right again.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 13, 2009,
The Fretboard is unaffected, although it does come close.

Here is some more pictures.

The same exact thing happened to a friend of mine. He took it to a luither and the thing came out good as new. Thats your best bet mate.
put a band-aid on it. and if that doesnt work, try wood glue
Always Rock!
Quote by s12k17
put a band-aid on it. and if that doesnt work, try wood glue

this is no laughing matter. <peter griffin>hehehehehehehehehe</peter griffin>

sorry for your lost. but congrats on the schecter blackjack atx. put some pics up of that if u get the chance.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by Vlasco
Not on a neck through.

If the fretboard is not cracked at all then it is a surprisingly easy fix. If it is cracked
through then it is hard to get the angles right again.

ur guitar is a set neck man, not a neck through
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by devit
ur guitar is a set neck man, not a neck through

It isn´t my guitar. A set neck would be nearly as hard to replace considering I don´t think Dean sells their set neck necks seperately.
No I dont think they do. Plus that would be pricier than fixing it myself.

On a lighter note! Requested pictures of my Blackjack

Last edited by Trivium_666 at Jul 13, 2009,
...And why do you need the Dean when you've got that smexy beast?

Seriously, though- take it to a good luthier and it should be doable, but expensive.
Assuming the fretboard is intact:

1) The pics are fairly useless in determining where the crack is, but try and remove any burrs and splinters of wood for either side of the crack, just carefully pick away at it with a knife/small screwdriver. The idea here is to make sure the wood locks together as closely as possible.
2) Get some wood glue (any standard stuff will do) into the crack. Apply it however you feel is best. Don't skimp on it, just enough to evenly coat all of the exposed wood.
3) Get some G clamps (I got a set of four for £1) , and clamp the join tightly. Put something soft under the clamps so it doesn't leave marks. Have tissue handy to mop up the excess that'll be squeezed out of the crack.
4) To play it safe, give the glue three or four days to set. Release a tiny bit of tension on the clamps after a day or so.
5) Once the clamps are off, if the neck appears solid you can sand down any rough bits. If it's more comfortable, you could sand the entire back of the neck to get a smoother feel, though this will obviously remove the finish. Consider using a little oil or spray polyurethene as a finish to protect the wood.

Repairing my acoustic's snapped-off headstock cost me about £3.50 in total and took about 10 minutes of work. A luthier would have charged me around £120
Beacuse your break appears to be right in the middle of the neck (new photos would help btw) it might be a little trickier, but it should be do-able.

Funny enough, my favourite acoustic has just come out of the clamps again this morning, I'm about to go out and get some strings. The unlucky thing got knocked headstock-first against the edge of a solid stone fireplace and the previous glue join split neatly under the pressure. Even a decent repair can't withstand a direct hit of that much force!
Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 13, 2009,
I think it would be fixable but VERY expensive.. bad loss mate..
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
it would probably cost a lot to repair that....
my music teacher(at school).....had an Gibson Les Pual and a grade 3 kid came picked up his guitar and dropped it........so when he went to go repair it he said they could replace the which cost $700 or they could jus sand it and glue the pieces which cost $700 too.......so he just went for the new neck.......but go to ur local music store an see what they can do
That's why i don't like set necks... It does look fixable though so ask around in the shops.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
I'm really suprised the Anti-Dean bandwagon hasn't attacked this thread yet. Be preparred though, I can already hear Dean quality issues coming up in the next few posts...

At first I thought the headstock cracked which a lot of Vintage Deans have had this repaired. But this one is a little more serious. It is repairable and it's not hard to do as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. I've reset a few Gibson SG necks and repaired a few Dean headstocks but this is a first.

Pretty much follow the directions from above about regluing, but with one note: Don't sand/pick the inside of the break cleanly. Pick out anything that will stick out of the neck or anything that gives you trouble though. The goal is to get the wood fibers to mesh together in the glue joint as close as they were before the break occured.

After it's all said and done the resulting glue joint will be stronger than the wood was before
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
You can either take it to a shop, or do it yourself which isn't really that difficult.

It helps to have another pair of hands during this.

You'll want to make sure nothing will stick out or give you difficulties, as Flux'D said.
Seeing as the split runs pretty far down the neck, i'd recommend drilling some very tiny holes in the wood and use a syringe or something similar to get as much glue in and spread it as much as possible. You may not like the idea but it won't make much of a difference with the neck and will really help distribute the glue.

After the glue is in you want to set the neck as best as possible. This is where another set of hands comes in handy, so one pair can hold the neck while the other wipes away excess glue.

Once you have it set, put a few clamps on there with something under them so they don't mark the guitar. Make them tight, but not overly-tight. That second pair of hands comes in handy here as well since one person can hold the neck while the other person puts on the clamps and wipes off the excess glue that comes out after doing so.

After it sits for a few days- you may want to even give it like a week or so just to be sure, check that everything is in order and sand down any odd spots. Give it some stress testing just by tugging on it a bit at first. If it seems solid, you can try stringing it and see what happens.

Also i might add that the Dean from Hell was probably the worst playing guitar i've gotten my hands on.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jul 13, 2009,
You've obviously never tried a BC Rich Bronze Series guitar :P

I find mine was good to play, the action on it was super low however the licensed floyd rose was of real low quality.

But thank you very much for the help!