2 Years ago I bought a Dean from Hell ML. Gorgeous. Played beautifully and really caught the crowds attention.

One day I leaned it against my bed and it got knocked, fell forward straight onto my distortion pedal and snapped the neck...

I was distraught, but I claimed house insurance on it and went and bought a Schecter Blackjack ATX.

Now, today I opened up the case and looked at my ML today, took a few pictures and im asking you guys if you think this is fixable and if so how much can you estimate. I live in the UK so if you can give me a price in £'s that'd be very helpful.

Thanks Guys
Wood glue and clamp that bitch? whats the worst that can happen your not using it now anyway.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Yeah you have a lot of surface area since it's such a long break so clamping and gluing would be pretty straightforward.

I have a video somewhere of me woodgluing and clamping a Les Paul. It worked really well and I sold the guitar later because it looked so nice.

Please hold while I find this video.

EDIT: Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41stfp-NVQ
Last edited by minichibi at Jul 13, 2009,
In the other forum someone suggested I find a professional to do this for me, do you think this is a professionals job to fix or would I be perfectly capable doing it myself?
Is the break through the fretboard?
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
if you really dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, then take it to a professional. but the jobs not really that hard. but taking it to somebody will probably be at least $100usd. probably more like $200usd.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Trivium_666
It has not gone into the fretboard, its just the neck thats been cut.

Well if that's the case, finish the break and get all the pieces and titebond that mother back together. Be sure to clamp it down really good. Leave it for 24 hours then sand it smooth, repaint etc.
Quote by Invader Jim

Quote by Trivium_666
Finish the break!? O.O I dont know if I have the balls to do that to this beaut.

DON'T FINISH IT!
It can be re-set the way it is! It'll obviously need gluing & clamping.
Can you see your truss-rod channel route?
If you do this yourself, DON'T GET ANY ON IT!

It's honestly really simple to pull a break like this back into a perfect playing guitar, more often than not, they're stronger too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Well it's not much of beaut right now.

That's like calling someone with their head cut off beautiful.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Lol true. So my options are, DONT finish the break, just fill it up and clamp it nicely, or pay 150 bucks and go to a professional..

Hmmmm...
Quote by AntiG3
Well it's not much of beaut right now.

That's like calling someone with their head cut off beautiful.

Meh, depends on the body.

As for the neck problem, I've only fixed one neck similar to this and that had already been broken completely off (not through the fretboard surprisingly..)

To me, it would make more sense to break it before gluing.
Quote by Invader Jim

if you dont want to break it, i would think that a carefull hand amd a syringe full of glue should do the trick (and clamps ect)

you aint got nothing to lose if you allready got insurance and got a new guitar...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
if you dont want to break it, i would think that a carefull hand amd a syringe full of glue should do the trick (and clamps ect)

you aint got nothing to lose if you allready got insurance and got a new guitar...

If you choose to do it this way you still need to pull the split wider to inject the titebond. By breaking it off and gluing it you can ensure a good layer (lost for words at the moment). This could also help your glue avoid the truss route.

I guess if you were good with a syringe. I just know that I'd accidentally squeeze too hard or something and pump the truss rod with it.
Quote by Invader Jim

Last edited by shadow phoenix at Jul 13, 2009,
^ metal-matt.

you are right I have nothing to lose so I am just gonna go for it. I havent made up my mind on whether to break it or not but I will do this myself, save me alot of money.

Thank you guys.
DO NOT finish the break.
With a break this drastic and likely going into the truss route, I'd say that if you want to play it again, take it to a tech.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Oh nooo my plans are foiled. Ok what you said sounded like I could seriously screw up my guitar. Ill go to a tech lol.
If you feel REALLY confident, confident enough to not get any glue at all on the truss rod, the go for it. But it'll be tricky with that big of a crack.
Good luck!
it's all coming back

1. take it to a tech to fix it
2. dont post two threads on the same topic (i swear i saw another, may be wrong)
3. be nice to your guitars so this wont happen
4.???
5. PROFIT
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
^^^

1. I came here for everyones advice.
2. I posted in the guitar forum, and they directed me here.
3. Everybody makes mistakes and accidents.

Thank you for everyone who has been kind and helpful.
Don't finish the break. That would break the fretboard. Spread Titebond Original throughout the crack. Clap that sucker with as many clamps as you can. Real clamps, not trigger operated weak plastic ones. I would dowel the neck heel area. Let it dry for 2 days. Then I would probably refinish the whole guitar. You might not need to, but I would.
Of course, like Baby Joel said, you will have a hard time not ruining the truss rod cavity with glue.

Do a cost analysis. If you want this guitar (or a similar one) and the sum is greater than zero, it is mathematically worth it.
(cost of similar used guitar) - (repair cost + devaluation because it had to be repaired) = ???
or you chould sand the neck completely after glueing it which would make your crack flush with the neck and a lot of people feel they play faster on an unfinished neck.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by cedricsmods

(cost of similar used guitar) - (repair cost + devaluation because it had to be repaired) = ???

Personally, if that happened, I'd sell it to a guitar shop, it's not a severe break.

If not, I'd stick it on eBay as an unwanted gift or maybe even a blemished finish.
Most neck breaks are unseeable after a tech has had there hands on it, I know mine's like that, he is perfect at making it 'original' so to speak.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
What is the worst that could happen if the glue damages the truss rod.

So basically, I want none of the glue touching the rod? Why?
If the glue touches the truss rod, it means the truss rod will be glued to the wood. The glue you're using (Titebond original, or other wood glue) will dry and bond harder than wood. Basically, you'll not be able to use the truss rod.
it's all coming back

If you're confident:

1. Use a steam injector, or powerful steam iron and a scraper, to tease the fingerboard off.

2. Wiggle the truss rod and fillet out,

3. Fill the crack to hell with glue, then clamp.. with tape to prevent glue getting in the truss rod channel,

4. Glue the fingerboard back on.

You can't really just squeeze glue into it as it stands, because it WILL get into the truss rod channel, then foul your rod up. You also can't finish the break, because it would almost definitely damage your fingerboard.

Quote by Trivium_666
Ive never changed the tross rod, like ever. Never had problems with it and such.

You'd need to adjust it before and after a repair like this. Release it first, to take the strain off the neck, then set it up properly afterwards, because the strength of the neck would be different.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 13, 2009,
Your best bet would be to remove the fretboard, in the Electric Guitar forum I didn't even think about the truss rod channel. With the fretboard off and removing the truss rod (maybe) you could finish the break (if you want to) and use the flat edge where the fretboard was as a square side to clamp/rest/sit/etc against a table or other structure. After the glue is fully cured you could run a router or a carefully guided Dremel down through the channel to remove excess glue. Then install the truss rod again and mount the fretboard just like a build.

Also check your inbox.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Go to the top of the page, click the button in the upper right that says "My Profile." That will take you to your inbox
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Kinda similar, but this is at the nut:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Finishing that break will mean snapping the fretboard, so removing that first will be one million percenty necessary. It all depends on your confidence in your own handy repair skills, and also how much it means to you to get it back in playing contition. It can never hurt to ask a proper guy how much he'd charge for the fix.