Anyone who read this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20611986 knows of my issues with Danelectro pedals.

The good news is, I am never gonna touch another Danelectro mini pedal (I say that now, check back in a year).

On Sunday my youth pastor brought his old Ibanez SM7 to church and from the moment I turned the effect on, I loved it. It gets the lower ends that the Dano Grilled Cheese cut out real bad, and still drives the sound alot.

He said he bought it back before he used effects alot, and forgot he had it when he bought his Boss pedals.

I did read a recommendation in the thread for a Tube Screamer so I feel that Ibanez pedals are good, although nothing really can beat the Boss pedals.
...ok?
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
The tube screamer is a great pedal but it really shines as an OD not a distortion pedal. Its meant to modify your sound, not so much to be used for going from clean to distorded on a Line 6 Spider 3.

Of course no ones saying you can't use it for that, I'm just saying thats not really using it to its full potential.

For a nice pedal I would look at a Fulltone OCD for nice crunchy sounds, maybe even a Big Muff Pi.

OD's like the TS-9 will really just cause your amp to clip, which on a Spider 3 will sound.... well.... bad.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by travishayes89
although nothing really can beat the Boss pedals.

To each their own. Boss are good for some things but their are better pedals on the market for the most part.
Quote by Road Eyes
To each their own. Boss are good for some things but their are better pedals on the market for the most part.

Agreed. The are 3 good boss pedals, in my opinion, thats about it. Three sound great if you mod them.

The chorus ensemble, DD-3, DD-4, DS-1 (if its modded), MT-2 (if its modded)m and the Blues Driver (if its modded)
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Last edited by Ninja Penguin77 at Jul 13, 2009,
I'm not using a Tube Screamer...

I'm using the Smash Box.

And my comment about the Boss pedals was the name recognition, since almost everybody has heard of them.
Eh, boss pedals are give and take.

I use to have the SM7 and that thing has loads of gain.

After a while though, the stomp function ****s up intermittently. You step on it and nothing happens, but if you push right on the left corner edge it will work fine. Or at least in my case. About 50% of HC reviews agrees with me if I remember correctly.

Sounds pretty good. High gain. Reliability is iffy. I got fed up with the stomping function and ended out throwing it through a wall. That seemed to fix it for a couple of days, but then it started messing up again.
Well, I don't plan on "stomping" it, as it isn't mine, at least not yet...

Besides, I don't play heavy enough to necessitate heavy stomping.
Don't worry, "tapping" on it will eventually get it to screw up. Luckily they are inexpensive pedals.

Still, it lasted a while before any of that happened.

But the push in knobs to lock the settings are awesome. I really enjoyed the pedal while it worked. Then I went to an EHX metal muff which made the SM7 seem like ****. But once you get a good amp, all you will really need is an overdrive. A good amps distortion will put any dist pedal to shame imo.
I'm still about a year away from getting an amp of my own...

I'm considering getting a Vox Pathfinder 15R, since I know a place where I can get it at a wholesale price, and have a chance to look over it before I go with it.

EDIT: added "considering", sometimes my fingers actually move faster than my brain.
Last edited by travishayes89 at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by travishayes89
I'm still about a year away from getting an amp of my own...

I'm considering getting a Vox Pathfinder 15R, since I know a place where I can get it at a wholesale price, and have a chance to look over it before I go with it.

EDIT: added "considering", sometimes my fingers actually move faster than my brain.

That would be good (I figure you don't play metal much?). I see those go on my craigslist for $75. I would lean more towards a Vox VT15. So much more things to mess around with and the cleans are pretty damn good. But that's just preference. But for something simple that sounds quite decent, a pathfinder is not a bad choice at all.
Yeah, I don't play metal (at least not at the moment...), I'm more of a classic rock feel type guy.

I actually am known to use the intro riff to "You Shook Me All Night Long" as one of my "sound" riffs, as I have a good feel for the riff and have heard a couple "different" versions of it.

(By "sound riff" I mean something I use to adjust amps and pedals to...)

But yeah, anything would be better for a home amp than my current off-brand 15 watt four inch amp...
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
The tube screamer is a great pedal but it really shines as an OD not a distortion pedal. Its meant to modify your sound, not so much to be used for going from clean to distorded on a Line 6 Spider 3.

lol that's me except I do use it for overdrive

(although i am getting a new amp here pretty soon, so I won't have to live with the stinkin Spider anymore!)