Ok guys, would someone mind recommending me a camera for use with Final Cut Studio? My budget is £150, I can maybe stretch a little higher, but would prefer it to be lower if possible, and I am looking for the best quality for my money. I have no experience with camcorders, to a degree in which i don't even know what file type i need them to save to, all I know is that I'll be needing the videos to be easily compatible with Final Cut Studio and that they should be simple to transfer for a novice

If the camera has a Firewire output, that would be great too, but not a necessity. It is more important for me to get a camera which will record me decent quality video for editing in Final Cut, but Firewire compatibility would be useful if possible.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance in this field, any recommendations/advice welcome
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Quote by sweatymonkey
wat so you can film 10 years olds

No...

But judging by your sig, I'm sure you must do it all the time. Also, you've only been on these forums for less than a month, so I struggle to see how you can justify a title such as "UG's most random guy"...

Thanks for the recommendation anyway, symba, have had a quick look at them and they look pretty cool. Any other suggestions are welcome
Quote by tubetime86

A mini DV camera will give you the best quality over a HDD or SD card camera, also it goes through firewire, and they're generally under £150 since thery're considered old tech now.
Since you're new and probably don't know/care about manual settings then pretty much any one by a known brand should do. if it's for taping your guitar playing or something though, I'd look for one with an external mic socket.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
A mini DV camera will give you the best quality over a HDD or SD card camera, also it goes through firewire, and they're generally under £150 since thery're considered old tech now.
Since you're new and probably don't know/care about manual settings then pretty much any one by a known brand should do. if it's for taping your guitar playing or something though, I'd look for one with an external mic socket.

Thanks mate, really helpful

Well my plan to record audio was to mic my amp and record that into Garageband simultaneously as I record the video, then mix the audio from the mic on my amp with the audio from my camera microphone together in Final Cut. To synchronise the two tracks of audio, my plan was to clap at the start of the vid, giving me a spike on both sets of audio which I would use to align the two tracks. If I plugged the mic directly into the camera, I would then only be getting the sound from my amp mic, and not the sound from the mic built into my camera also (i need both tracks of audio to capture my voice when i speak as well as the amp, captured through the seperate mic). Is this correct, or is it possible to have both tracks of audio running through my camera if I get one with an external mic socket?

Also, how do you transfer video captured on the camera onto your computer? Could somebody go over this briefly for me, I would be very appreciative? As I mentioned, the video editing software I will be using will be Final Cut Studio 4.

Thanks again, Dan.
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by Stearner

Well my plan to record audio was to mic my amp and record that into Garageband simultaneously as I record the video, then mix the audio from the mic on my amp with the audio from my camera microphone together in Final Cut. To synchronise the two tracks of audio, my plan was to clap at the start of the vid, giving me a spike on both sets of audio which I would use to align the two tracks. If I plugged the mic directly into the camera, I would then only be getting the sound from my amp mic, and not the sound from the mic built into my camera also (i need both tracks of audio to capture my voice when i speak as well as the amp, captured through the seperate mic). Is this correct, or is it possible to have both tracks of audio running through my camera if I get one with an external mic socket?

yeah, that works.

Quote by Stearner
Also, how do you transfer video captured on the camera onto your computer?

with a miniDV camera, you should rewind the tape, then plug the camera in, and in final cut there should be a selection like "capture from camera" or something like that, use that, it should play through the tape, and save the movie files onto your computer.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
^^So you have to wait in real time whilst the video saves to your computer?

Also, when you're recording to a miniDV, you record one continuous video of data, opposed to seperate clips, yes? If I were to choose a camera with SD/HDD based recording, could I save individual clips to the camera, then just drag them into Final Cut and not have to wait in real time/ find the parts of the video i want, in order to transfer the data? I know the quality is reduced, but this sounds like a far easier and quicker method to transfer the movies...
Quote by tubetime86

Quote by sweatymonkey
wat so you can film 10 years olds

Jesus, pit jokes just get worse..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Stearner
Thanks mate, really helpful

That works, it's exactly what I do to record my videos.
Quote by Stearner
^^So you have to wait in real time whilst the video saves to your computer?

Also, when you're recording to a miniDV, you record one continuous video of data, opposed to seperate clips, yes? If I were to choose a camera with SD/HDD based recording, could I save individual clips to the camera, then just drag them into Final Cut and not have to wait in real time/ find the parts of the video i want, in order to transfer the data? I know the quality is reduced, but this sounds like a far easier and quicker method to transfer the movies...

yeah, but it 'knows' when you've pressed stop/pause so it splits up the clips based on that. SD/HDD would probably be easier, but the quality isn't so great much of the time.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
yeah, but it 'knows' when you've pressed stop/pause so it splits up the clips based on that. SD/HDD would probably be easier, but the quality isn't so great much of the time.

Ok, but for a beginner like me, I probably won't realise the difference. I am considering getting one of these:

http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0015928701.1247504125@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadehkefjejlcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined&sku=907920&category_oid=-28583#productInformationSection

http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0015928701.1247504125@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadehkefjejlcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined&sku=624068&category_oid=-28583

The Sony is a little above what I was hoping to pay, but it has a 60GB HDD and 60X optical zoom, so I suppose it's worth it. Meanwhile, the Panasonic is an SD based camcorder, so it's cheaper, but I don't think the quality would match the Sony, plus the Sony has all that memory. So would you, or anyone who wants to help, advise getting the Sony over the Panasonic?

Additionally, what will the video quality of both these cameras be like compared to a cheaper miniDV style camcorder, maybe around £130? I don't think I could justify spending more than that on a miniDV when it's going to be wasting so much of my time compared to an SD or HDD based camera, unless of course the quality will be significantly better on the cheaper miniDV camera than the more expensive HDD/SD cameras.
Quote by tubetime86

The sony one seems better. I'd go for that, if your videos are just going on youtube or whatever, they don't need to be that great quality anyway.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
Yeh, exactly. Thanks for your help mate
Quote by tubetime86