Page 1 of 3
So, I have 12 dollars, and at my local bookstore Atlas Shrugged costs 10. I bought Anthem, also by Ayn Rand, and it was pretty good, actually I thought it was amazing. is AS better than Anthem? Is it worth 10 dollars?
I am
Immortal

I have inside me

Only if you want the evil within to melt the eyeballs right out of your face.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Ayn Rand is a twit.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Ayn Rand is a stupid bitch. Basically, imagine Sarah Palin trying to write a novel.
kill all humans
Quote by UnintendedBliss
...Kay...reasoning for either of those statements...?

She's evil?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Stop bashing her! She was a brilliant writer and also one of the few advocates of free thinking, individualism, and self worth. Not like any of you would know about those things.
Atlas Shrugged is a very good work as a whole, however it's EXTREMELY long and hard to get through at times. Overall it's good, I mean who wouldn't want that kind of society that's established in the novel? Oh yeah...those ^^ guys.
The ideology behind it is pretty skewed. Look up "Objectivism." It's basically a rationalization for doing whatever you want.
If you like Anthem and that weird way she writes, the you would probably like AS. I would buy it for ten bucks . Even if you don't like the book, it does look somewhat classy if you have it sitting in your room or house.
Quote by Meths
She's evil?

My dad recently told me that in his college days, three of his friends read The Fountainhead and started acting really weird, not talking to any of their friends, not interacting with anyone or acknowledging anyone. Just being complete morons. They did that for three of their four years, all because of that dumb bitch. It was their own fault for taking that stuff seriously, but that's how a lot of people are. They will be easily swayed by such bull.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I like how no one has really given any logical reason as to why Ayn Rand sucks

I actually would like to hear it. I know nothing of her.
Quote by MercyfulFate505

Go read about Objectivism.
Quote by MercyfulFate505

If you ever played Bioshock, the society of Rapture is (loosely) based on a sort of Ayn-Rand style "utopia".
I already know a little bit about objectivism, where your purpose in life is to pursue your own happiness

How does that relate to Ayn Rand?
And don't tell me to go read about something, I'd like to actually know if someone can give me a logical argument as to why Ayn Rand is a stupid, horrible person.
Quote by blake1221
Stop bashing her! She was a brilliant writer and also one of the few advocates of free thinking, individualism, and self worth. Not like any of you would know about those things.
Atlas Shrugged is a very good work as a whole, however it's EXTREMELY long and hard to get through at times. Overall it's good, I mean who wouldn't want that kind of society that's established in the novel? Oh yeah...those ^^ guys.

Did you get paid to write that?

TS, why didn't you take this to the lit/books thread?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by MercyfulFate505
I already know a little bit about objectivism, where your purpose in life is to pursue your own happiness

How does that relate to Ayn Rand?
And don't tell me to go read about something, I'd like to actually know if someone can give me a logical argument as to why Ayn Rand is a stupid, horrible person.

She "invented" it. It's the main reason why I disagree with her, so I wanted to see if you would feel the same way. Her literary skills themselves aren't terrible or anything, so I'm not going to criticize her further, I just present my view of Objectivism as being dumb to you as my argument.
Quote by MercyfulFate505

I very very very very very much dislike Ayn Rand, and I've read Atlas Shrugged all the way through. It's her philosophy of objectivism that gives me a hard time. It's an extremist version of libertarianism. Essentially, it's about individual rights being greater than collective rights. It's a moralistic philosophy. That is to say, Ms. Rand believes it is a moral imperative that everyone acts according to total self-interest, and that charity, selflessness, and a sacrifice are concepts that are a disease to humanity.

On a practical, political level, it's a very pro-corporation, pro-globalization, pro-total laissez-faire market view. Any government regulation of corporate expenditure, labor laws, etc., would be (in most cases) a direct violation of what Ayn Rand views as moral.

That's why people either love her or hate her.

Personally, I'm with the latter camp. I find her philosophy as a giant rationalization of selfishness. For instance, if Ayn Rand had her way, no one would ever donate money to charitable organizations.
Exhibit A,

Objectivists think they're superior to everyone else and no doubt they'd be rich if the ignorant masses would just get outta the way. I'm sure.

Exhibit B,

That book's got a 50+ page speech on why it's okay to be a self-absorbed prick and when her editor asked her to trim it down, Ayn Rand asked if he would trim down "a direct quote from God"

Exhibit C,

Her fans include such societal luminaries as Rush Limbaugh, Clarence Thomas, and Reagan.

Exhibit D,

Nice haircut bitch.

Last edited by blackflag49 at Jul 13, 2009,
Well I agree with working to make yourself happy and not being forced to work to make others happy, so I agree with it in a sense. What I don't agree with is that you and only you matter, like that story posted above about those guys who read Rand and abandoned their friends. If you want to work for others, go ahead.

...I'm probably completely missing something here.
Last edited by MercyfulFate505 at Jul 13, 2009,
But it is just fiction, and you can enjoy a fictional book without entirely conforming and excepting to the philosophy behind it.
I am
Immortal

I have inside me

If it's anything like the Fountainhead, skip it. It's not worth your time.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Grindar
She "invented" it. It's the main reason why I disagree with her, so I wanted to see if you would feel the same way. Her literary skills themselves aren't terrible or anything, so I'm not going to criticize her further, I just present my view of Objectivism as being dumb to you as my argument.

So it's not actually bad, you just don't like what she wrote about?

Kind of like if Stephen King wrote a children's book about pinatas?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by UnintendedBliss
But it is just fiction, and you can enjoy a fictional book without entirely conforming and excepting to the philosophy behind it.

Battlefield Earth was just a fictional book too.

Edit:

Kind of like if Stephen King wrote a children's book about pinatas?

Except he's a pop fiction writer, and not some crazy woman.
Quote by Grindar
Battlefield Earth was just a fictional book too.

That reference...I do not get.
I am
Immortal

I have inside me

Quote by darkstar2466
Ayn Rand is a twit.

This guy's got the right idea >.>

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Quote by UnintendedBliss
That reference...I do not get.

Battlefield Earth is by L. Ron Hubbard. He's the homie who created Scientology!
Quote by blackflag49
Exhibit A,

Objectivists think they're superior to everyone else and no doubt they'd be rich if the ignorant masses would just get outta the way. I'm sure.

Exhibit B,

That book's got a 50+ page speech on why it's okay to be a self-absorbed prick and when her editor asked her to trim it down, Ayn Rand asked if he would trim down "a direct quote from God"

Exhibit C,

Her fans include such societal luminaries as Rush Limbaugh, Clarence Thomas, and Reagan.

Exhibit D,

Nice haircut bitch.

2112 - is based on Anthem by Ayn Rand. If Rush likes it... I like it :P.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I haven't read Anthem yet but I loved Atlas Shrugged; I found it very inspiring. I find her philosophy of life vs death very interesting. lol at everyone calling her evil, I doubt they've even fully read Atlas Shrugged.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I haven't read Anthem yet but I loved Atlas Shrugged; I found it very inspiring. I find her philosophy of life vs death very interesting. lol at everyone calling her evil, I doubt they've even fully read Atlas Shrugged.

No, I'm sorry, I didn't help my brother write his PhD thesis on it or anything.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
...but I loved Atlas Shrugged; I found it very inspiring. I find her philosophy of life vs death very interesting. lol at everyone calling her evil, I doubt they've even fully read Atlas Shrugged.

I'll give you that her philosophies on life and death are interesting, but really, do you honestly think something like Galt's Gulch could ever be anything but a massive, dystopian failure?
i've read it, and its a good book...long, but good

its been awhile since i read it, but i sort of remember it showing how all of the governments restrictions and fairness policies killed many industries and businesses...something along those lines

but definitely read it
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Clutch32192
i've read it, and its a good book...long, but good

its been awhile since i read it, but i sort of remember it showing how all of the governments restrictions and fairness policies killed many industries and businesses...something along those lines

I'm not picking at you in particular, just using what you said as an example: It pisses me right the hell off when people put the interests of industries, businesses, and that faceless human creation called the "Economy" above the interests of people. Dammit, governments have to regulate things to keep them honest.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Some of the stuff she writes is completely right an relevent. Some is cap. And the woman herself is a cult leader.
Quote by guybrush122
I'll give you that her philosophies on life and death are interesting, but really, do you honestly think something like Galt's Gulch could ever be anything but a massive, dystopian failure?

Not when inhabited by the characters portrayed in the novel. Anyone who doesn't meet the criteria to live of his own accord can go do so or rather not do so elsewhere.

Quote by Grindar
No, I'm sorry, I didn't help my brother write his PhD thesis on it or anything.

I believe you called her retarded not evil. Remember that by her reasoning, making mistakes is not evil as long as you are willing to remedy them. Thus being retarded =/= being evil. You're entitled to your difference of opinion but while she has presented her reasoning to back her philosophy I have yet to understand any reasoning to support the claim that she is evil.

Quote by SteveHouse
I'm not picking at you in particular, just using what you said as an example: It pisses me right the hell off when people put the interests of industries, businesses, and that faceless human creation called the "Economy" above the interests of people. Dammit, governments have to regulate things to keep them honest.

We live by means of production. The economy IS in the people's interest and it auto-regulates itself according to supply and demand.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by guybrush122
I very very very very very much dislike Ayn Rand, and I've read Atlas Shrugged all the way through. It's her philosophy of objectivism that gives me a hard time. It's an extremist version of libertarianism. Essentially, it's about individual rights being greater than collective rights. It's a moralistic philosophy. That is to say, Ms. Rand believes it is a moral imperative that everyone acts according to total self-interest, and that charity, selflessness, and a sacrifice are concepts that are a disease to humanity.

On a practical, political level, it's a very pro-corporation, pro-globalization, pro-total laissez-faire market view. Any government regulation of corporate expenditure, labor laws, etc., would be (in most cases) a direct violation of what Ayn Rand views as moral.

That's why people either love her or hate her.

Personally, I'm with the latter camp. I find her philosophy as a giant rationalization of selfishness. For instance, if Ayn Rand had her way, no one would ever donate money to charitable organizations.

Well put. Good job
I sort-of read it 2 years ago. I gave up on it cause it's boring, not as well-written as most critics would lead you to believe and incredibly self-indulgent.
Page 1 of 3