I've been playing guitar now for about 1 1/2-2 years and don't think I'm advancing as much as I should so I 've decided to learn theory. I had a teacher for the first few months and he taught me all the notes up and down the fret board and about timing and rhythm before he moved.

Mostly since then I've been learning songs that I like but no lead stuff because my fingers aren't fluid and fast enough. So I have decided to learn scales to limber my fingers up but I haven't found any sites that help me since I'm more of a hands on learner. So I would like to know what scales are and how they are constructed.

Also if you know any good finger strengthening exercises that would help that would be good. All help appreciated. Thanks. I mean how am I supposed to learn with just this(sorry 'bout the huge pic .):
GEAR

Fender Telecaster Standard
Ibanez GAX75
Takamine Jasmine
i recommend buy a book called guitar exercises for dummies. that book and the bassists grimoire have really helped me expand my knowledge of scales. guitar exercises for dummies, in my opinion, is one of the greatest books that has been made because it teaches you all of the different positions and its great to help improve your left hand speed and dexterity.
The crusade articles and http://all-guitar-chords.com/ are a great start for learning theory.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane