Okay, I found these things, called "UFO magnets", and what you're SUPPOSED to do with them is throw them up in the air and they clash together and make this trippy noise.

What I decided to use them for was to take one, and run it down the strings on the neck. The result is AMAZING. It's like you're fretting the note except no strumming required!

Has anyone else tried something like this?

On another note, will it mess up my pickups if I use it and get too close to them?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

In a nutshell, yes.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Explanation: An electric current goes through the strings, which makes them magnetic, picking a string causes a fluxchange, the pickups picks up the change and converts it to an electric current again, and your amp turns it into a sound. So your magnet causes fluxchange and you get the sound.

Depending on how strong the magnet is, it can fu ck up your pickups
Last edited by Anonymoos at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by Anonymoos
Explanation: An electric current goes through the strings, which makes them magnetic, picking a string causes a fluxchange, the pickups picks up the change and converts it to an electric current again, and your amp turns it into a sound. So your magnet causes fluxchange and you get the sound.

Depending on how strong the magnet is, it can fu ck up your pickups

Not quite.
If an electric current went through the strings, you'd be electrocuted.

The pickup are bar magnets. They produce a magnet field which goes around the strings.

When the strings are plucked, they vibrate at different frequencies. This frequency "upsets" the magnetic field which inturn creates a tiny electrical current. This is then amplified.
Been away, am back
I think Pickups are elctro-magnets so all of their force is made from a power source. There isn't any real magnet to mess up. If they were natural magnets then you could mess with them and permanently change how they work.
Quote by Zmatt
I think Pickups are elctro-magnets so all of their force is made from a power source. There isn't any real magnet to mess up. If they were natural magnets then you could mess with them and permanently change how they work.

nope, just normal bar-magnets.
Unless you use active pickups.
Been away, am back
Quote by MRavioli
They're called ferromagnets, the things you're talking about

I know what ferromagnets are. I just thought that pickups were electromagnets. I know some pickups are piezoelectric.