I've wanted to start recording myself with my non-electric-acoustic guitar, so I've been trying to find a decent microphone to buy at a pretty cheap cost. I think I found one which is the Blue Microphones' Snowball USB Microphone. Does anyone recommend this or should I try for something else?

Also how can I make the most ideal recording area in my environment? Unfortunately I don't have any access to any recording studio or anything of that sort, so what are some things I can do to improve the recording in a room of an average household? I've heard of things like looking for rooms that are smaller or covering walls and windows with blankets to improve the sound that the microphone obtains, but I would really like to hear from someone who's experienced in these kinda things.
if you're picky enough about how it sounds to worry about the room you're recording in, dont get a USB mic. those are made for things like podcasting. your best bet is a decent condenser with an interface.
i would also worry more about getting the right mic now than getting a good sounding room (which will run off with your money if you want it to sound right)
what's your budget? i can toss out a few suggestions if you let me know.
word for recording rooms if you have a room thats perfectly rectangle. your ****ed, so what you do is go to lows or homedepot, get 4 8x8 and put em at the opposite of each wall so like

w
a
l
l
l
LWalllllllllllllllllllll

and cover those 2 walls. with an 8x8 about 1 foot slouching so it looks like a ramp. on to your wall

with that being said you just fixed your standing wave problem aka, (why does my room sound like ****)

Quote by sandyman323
if you're picky enough about how it sounds to worry about the room you're recording in, dont get a USB mic. those are made for things like podcasting. your best bet is a decent condenser with an interface.
i would also worry more about getting the right mic now than getting a good sounding room (which will run off with your money if you want it to sound right)
what's your budget? i can toss out a few suggestions if you let me know.

Basically around $100 for the mic. Unfortunately I don't have too much money to spare at the moment. I'm just trying to get the best sound quality possible at a pretty low budget.

And the reason why I listed the Snowball mic is because it was suggested as a cheap recording device that could be used for music on Acoustic Guitar Magazine. Not sure whether to trust them or not since I've never heard anyone record music on it.
Last edited by ItsTheMatthias at Jul 14, 2009,
you CAN record using a USB mic, but the reason i advised against it is if you ever want to upgrade anything (which you will as your ear gets better), that mic becomes worthless as you'd have to buy a separate interface and mic after that. i always suggest the interface and mic because you can expand on that. you can buy any mic and use it right away without buying anything else. suppose you want a dynamic mic to mix with your condenser, or even use two or more condensers, you cant do that with one USB mic.
i suggest that only because in the future, you save money and can expand whenever you want. however i do understand the value of getting started soon and small and working your way up.

you can get an interface for not a whole lot
M Audio's Fast Track - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606
which only give's you one input, but still better than USB as you can buy new mics and run them through it one at a time.

or one of these http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MobilePre-USB-Portable-Audio-Interface?sku=701368
costs more, but gives you more inputs.

a mic will run you between 50-100+ for a starter condenser.

CatharsisStudio, that will do next to nothing to a room. the vast majority of problem sound waves will go straight through that. to really take care of the standing waves problem, a few properly built and placed bass traps will do the job much better.
Yeah no, cause then you just made your room not rectangular=)

oznimbus from the sneap forum has proably got some of the best drum sounds ever..and i know alot of people who have tried it, and it works very well very very well

what you are doing is changing your room from squiare to something that has more angles to reflect the waves, but yeah bass traps will do get rid of it too, any acoustic treatment actually. But if your tracking drums, i recomend that you do this if you can't afford nice treatment