i've got a few questions regarding smoke damage and guitars

i like to take my guitar with me everywhere i go (some people don't recognize me without my guitar ). occasionally i do end up near people that are smoking cigarettes. how bad is this exactly? i am normally outside, and i dont spend alot of time near them; if i know theyre not going to move within a minute or so i move to somewhere else.

also, what are the characteristics of smoke damage? is the damage repairable? is it only cigarette smoke that is dangerous or is it other types as well (i.e. car exhaust/smog, barbeque smoke, etc.)?

Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 13, 2009,
you might get a bit of yellow staining but if you keep on top of it shouldn`t be a problem, hasn`t affected my guitars.

i thought your house had caught fire and your axe was almost melted.
:O the dangers of passive smoking are ever more relevant ,thanks ts!
you are stood near people smoking this will do NOTHING! what a stupid thread.
if you were a smoker who smoked inside where your guitars were i could understand your question.
Obviousely not planning on playing any gigs....TONS of smoke there...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Guitars don't have lungs.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Basically, what I think everyone is saying is...

The casual exposure to smoke = No big deal
Long term constant exposure = smoke stains

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
you know, i was worried about smoke damage to one of my guitars (it's a gibson les paul vintage mahogany with no laquer so the wood is exposed to the elements) which is still in the shop as i haven't paid for it in full yet, and a nearby chemical factory exploded and the whole of that little town had to be evacuated due to toxic smoke... and you're worried about cigarette smoke?!?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you might get a bit of yellow staining but if you keep on top of it shouldn`t be a problem, hasn`t affected my guitars.

i thought your house had caught fire and your axe was almost melted.

ok, should i just buy some guitar cleaning supplies and ill be alright?

Quote by Vlasco
Do you just wear it around on a strap all day? What a badass.

is that sarcasm or are you being serious 0.0

cause yeah thats exactly what i do
yeah im worried about cigarette smoke...i dont want anything bad to happen to my guitar.

why so many flames from just a simple question? my guess is the flamers are all smokers?
Damn, I really want to carry my guitar with me everywhere now. I just don´t think it would be possible unless I didn´t go to school and had no job.
if i know theyre not going to move within a minute or so i move to somewhere else

I think my point about not planning any gigs was a very relevant point, and not just flaming....

If you move away from someone who smokes after just a minute or so, You wouldn't be able to get through a whole song on a stage. Those bar rooms are filled with smoke.

But seriousely, like someone else suggested, just keep on top of it. If you take it somewhere and people are smoking, don't worry about it at that moment. It's fine.
Just give it a good wipe down when you get it home that night.

The only real danger of smoke damage is if you smoke in the same area you keep your guitar. And that is kept up for several years.

have you ever been to a smokers house and looked behind a picture haning on a white wall?? That's what happens after YEARS of exposure, not a few minutes or hours or even days. Any more than a week or so, then you can start worrying.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by SpeedLives
yeah im worried about cigarette smoke...i dont want anything bad to happen to my guitar.

why so many flames from just a simple question? my guess is the flamers are all smokers?

where there's smoke...
Quote by pak1351
where there's smoke...

There are mirrors!

IT'S A TRAP!
Quote by Vlasco
Damn, I really want to carry my guitar with me everywhere now. I just don´t think it would be possible unless I didn´t go to school and had no job.

True that...
Will the smoke stains look cool in anyway?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by Twisted1
You should pull the truss rod and inspect it for neck cancer...

ROTFLMAO !!!!

Will the smoke stains look cool in anyway?

Interesting thought....
They do make Tobacco Sunburst Finsihes, so somebody must think smoke is cool...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I think they look cool, but I like the aged look on guitars anyway. I think I'm going to bring it out with me when I play cards and bar-b-q/smoke cigars and purposefully try to smoke it up a little bit. Maybe it'll even smell like bar-b-que when all's said and done