Well... maybe it's not so urgent but i really need your help guys. I'm thinking of buying a laptop later today or tomorrow but realized i don't really know much about them.

So... i ask you if you have any particular brands/models to look into. My budget's $700 max and want something with at least 2ghz processor dual core processor, 3gigs ram (4 seems rather standard in my price range though), and more than 2 2.0 usb ports if possible. I'll mainly use it for browsing, storing music, streaming videos, and recording music (POD X3 Live into Audicity).

I was searching up and am thinking of maybe HP, Acer, Toshiba, or most likely an Asus.

Any particular comments?

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I expected some smoke and sparks...

I am dissapoint.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by lzcougarz3
Are Asus those small ones? My mom has one and I would not recommend that at all.

Why wouldn't you recommend them? Mind being specific?

And they're mainly these ones:

Asus X83Vb-X2
Asus U81A-RX05

Also forgot to mention that this will be my main computer too.

EDIT:take it to the computer thread. And don't be so urgent about it, take your time to reasearch then buy.
I've tried researching a bit but most specs are about the same and was mainly wondering if there's anything in particular to watch out for. Also, will go to the computer thread in a bit and try there.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 13, 2009,
centrino processors are a bit outdated, so don't get the Asus X83Vb-X2.*

*i lied, i don't fully know what i'm talking about
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by fluffpuff999
isn't 3 gigs RAM a lot?

you right, 3 gigs is a lot more than you need. if you buy a dell, you could customize it to what you want.
e-adopted to mdwallin and chaoticfables!
Quote by fluffpuff999
oh, i have 1gig, and it's more than enough for me

I don't know how you live.

I've got 6.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by fluffpuff999

depends on the OS, too.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
My bro got a sweet gateway for 699. 4 Gigs ram,2X2.0 duo core processor, 320 gb hd, good size screen etc etc.

Don't worry about the number of usb ports, you can buy a cable that runs 4 usb slots out of 1 usb slot. You need need need at least 2 gig to run vista.

Also make sure to ask if the battery is flush, my buddy bought bought a HP and it has a giant battery hanging out the back.
Quote by Fenderman21
you right, 3 gigs is a lot more than you need. if you buy a dell, you could customize it to what you want with a hammer after it drives you mad.

You can do that with pretty much anything now. Also, 3 GB RAM is pretty much essential to run Vista effectively. You can get away with 1 but you'll regret it every day.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by fluffpuff999

I have 8, but my computer is used for gaming.
Yeah, 3gb of ram is good, if you get 4gb or more, you will need Vista-64bit, and that MAY not go well with some recording programs.

You should watch for:
battery claims.
Take whatever they claim as battery life, and divide by 2. That is how long you should expect the battery to last.

Make sure it is wireless N internet connectivity, (it should also connect to G , and B in that case)

Also, when you get it, disable, and uninstall all the potential crapware that can be on it.

(HP has a bit of crap ware, Toshiba has more , I don't know about ASUS)
Quote by SteveHouse

You can do that with pretty much anything now. Also, 3 GB RAM is pretty much essential to run Vista effectively. You can get away with 1 but you'll regret it every day.

i got 2 and works fine with vista but lol at your fix
e-adopted to mdwallin and chaoticfables!
actually, i have no idea how much i have.
i just remember the worker at best buy saying something about 1 gig , so that's how much RAM i assumed i had. but i guess i have more, because i have Vista, and it runs fine.