hey guys. me and my friends have just started a metalcore/ melodic death metal band and we need some serious help writing riffs. there are 2 guitarist in this band (me and someone else) and we just have no ideas. do you guys have any tips on how to write some good riffs? thanks
For metalcore (most of the time generic metalcore like Avenged Sevenfold, BFMV and stuff), learn the D minor scale, and play in drop D. Palm mute on the d-string, and play notes of the D minor scale on the a-string alternating... For example: Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold uses this technique.

For more technical shizz; try to find a nice, original sounding rythm and search for interesting notes to fit to it...
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
i always thought you should make the band after you feel you have the ability/inspiration to actually go somewhere with it, not the other way around.

listen to more music?

also, don't always just search for interesting notes when writing music. have a vision for how the entire phrase, section, melody, song, etc. should go. hum some tunes in the shower.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

also, don't always just search for interesting notes when writing music. have a vision for how the entire phrase, section, melody, song, etc. should go. hum some tunes in the shower.

I reckon he's not that far into being able to write his own music...
Quote by Jaymz2K

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
I don't think the world needs another as i lay dying. hah. every metalcore riff has been played on every metalcore/melodic death album at least 11 times
Yeah, that's what I tell our rythym-guitarist all the time. He sucks at being original... I'm always the one who comes up with the Mastodon-ish riffs. He's always the As I Lay Dying-guy.
Quote by Jaymz2K

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Bowe
haha yeah I hate those AILD guys. the formula is always:

-pedal/palm mute the low c string and insert notes from the c minor scale in between palm mutes
-then, pedal at the 8th fret of the low c string, and hit more notes in the c minor scale in between
-here's where you can get REALLY creative, you have the option from pedaling at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, or 10th fret of the low c string, with some notes of the c minor scale thrown in between
-repeat from the beginning, with major/minor 3rd harmonies

And they dont seem to have the ability to write anything else?
hah
I LOL'd out of recognition. :') It's exactly how his riffs are composed.
Quote by Jaymz2K

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Bowe
Quote by Craterocks
hey guys. me and my friends have just started a metalcore/ melodic death metal band and we need some serious help writing riffs. there are 2 guitarist in this band (me and someone else) and we just have no ideas. do you guys have any tips on how to write some good riffs? thanks

Well since its death metal hit random notes and scream LOL
srry just had to be done
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i always thought you should make the band after you feel you have the ability/inspiration to actually go somewhere with it, not the other way around.

listen to more music?

Well when we started out, we had tons of riffs and we already have two song but now i have no ideas