Hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out learning to write metal riffs that are more melodic/doomy. Not exactly a popular genre but oh well, stuff kinda like swallow the sun etc. Anyone whos any good with doom metal please help me out, thanx.
Step 1: Learn your favorite melodic doom metal riffs.
Step 2: Find out what makes them sound good to you.
Step 3: Based on what you found out, write your own.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!
Quote by Blackritual0
this isn't /b/ wrong website lol

Sometimes the difference is vague. At least in the Pit; and that sometimes leaks everywhere else.

I suggest you listen to the songs with the sound you want to mimic, get tabs for them and basically deconstruct the song. Find out what musically is happening. If you do that you should see the basic elements of the style and be able to write within it.
Yeah... pretty much... but Cyberbob said it in a cooler musicianish way.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
ha yeah the main problem is that pretty much no one listens to this kind of music, hence there's not really alot of tabs to be found... i did some by ear but it's kinda hard to figure it out
Melodic doom metal... Is that like Candlemass and shizz?
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
eh yeah, pretty much. Haven't gotten the chance to actually listen to them yet but i've heard they r...
Ha, if not a lot of people listen to it and therefore there are not a lot of tabs of it, how could you expect there to be someone who has carefully analyzed doom metal on this forum who is also willing to explain it all to you? Regardless, timeconsumer09's original post would be the correct answer for any genre. Sorry :/
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Cyberbob
Sometimes the difference is vague. At least in the Pit; and that sometimes leaks everywhere else.

If you think the pit is ANYTHING like /b/, than youve obviously never been to /b/ and are talking out your ass.