My band has been around for at least 8 months the best way to describe us is basically Pink Floyd with the guy from Incubus singing. It's fun and I like the music, but the problem is it's not great music, just good music. I also feel that a member doesn't want to progress and just wants to play root notes and keep in 4/4 for every song. We have an ok following and we really work hard and spend most of our paychecks on the band and band related things, but this isn't music I'd love to make. Should I just quit before we get "bigger" (small tour, small cd) or stick around for the hell of it?
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Don't do it if you don't like it. Simple as that. Why stick with it if you don't love it? Maybe voice your opinions to the band members.
I've always felt this way with anything I've wrote with any band. The thing is, every musician feels the need to expand. That's, at least, every musician with the right thinking. Talk to your band and tell them that you'd like to try more with the music you folks write, and see if they feel the same. If not, just say you're going to find something else you'd feel better with. You shouldn't be bored or restricted when you have the potential to be better.

So yeah, talk to your bandmates good luck!
Thanks, will do.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
You said you liked it and it was good. If you're about progression then talk to them about it
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
good music is better than no music, the main thing to consider is changing your sound a bit and experimenting. like timeconsumer said, talk to your band mates about it and see what they think about it
Discuss possible options with the band. Not to sound selfish, but the first person you should look out for as a musician is yourself. If you aren't happy in a band, your musicianship will dim. If you have to quit, quit.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin