Page 1 of 2
Right, I've been shopping and playing around and I have come up with the final (I promise) list of possible basses and amps. Your opinions please:

Basses:
Ibanez ATK
Rockbass Corvette Fretless

Amps:
Fender Rumble 60
Kustom KBA 65x
Laney RB4
Ashdown 515

I promise I shall not make any more threads on this subject and I will stop constantly changing my mind
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 20, 2009,
MIM classic p bass, i hear nothing but good things about them, and they look really amazing.

But really this seems to be a big thing for you so go and play them all. And see what you like best and then get the bass that suits you. And get the KBA not the rumble
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Ahhh! What finish is that ATK? I love the ATK series. Smooth and fast neck coupled with a sexxy look. Oh and it sounds real nice too
Quote by Spaz91
Right, I've been shopping and playing around and I have come up with the final (I promise) list of possible basses and amps. Your opinions please:

Basses:
Fender Precision MIM
Ibanez ATK300
Ibanez BTB808
Rockbass Fortress
Rockbass Corvette Fretless (I played this in a shop and the only thing stopping me getting it was possible difficulties fitting it in with my music style.)

Amps:
Fender Rumble 60
Kustom KBA 65x
Laney RB4
Ashdown 515

I promise I shall not make any more threads on this subject and I will stop constantly changing my mind

Can you please post a link to the Fender MIM?
Quote by Royal Celebi
Ahhh! What finish is that ATK? I love the ATK series. Smooth and fast neck coupled with a sexxy look. Oh and it sounds real nice too

Looks aren't too important for me at the moment, however if I have a choice and if I get the ATK then I'll get Tobacco Sunburst.

Quote by navarreguitaris
Can you please post a link to the Fender MIM?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/79196 Good price?

(You might have guessed my bass budget is <£400 and for amps is <£200, I'd rather I didn't have to sell my Squier.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Spaz91
Looks aren't too important for me at the moment, however if I have a choice and if I get the ATK then I'll get Tobacco Sunburst.

Favorite finish of mine.

Anyway, like I said before, the neck is real small (not Jazz small but substantially smaller than most). Medium size frets iirc and not too long of a neck. Good upper fret access. 3-way pickup selector (I believe the guy helping me said they were humbucker-esque).

Hope I helped a bit.
Quote by Spaz91
Rockbass Corvette Fretless (I played this in a shop and the only thing stopping me getting it was possible difficulties fitting it in with my music style.)

What part doesn't fit? Warwicks in general can fit any style, from reggae (P-Nut) to slap (Ryan Martinie, P-Nut again) to black metal (that dude from Satyricon). Single Coils can work just fine in any genre (see: Fender Jazz Bass). And don't let the fretless thing hold you back. You can find fretless bassists in any genre, not just jazz. Check out Steve Digiorgio. He uses a fretless and he plays OMG BR00TAL METALZ!!!11!1!!oneone!!11 If you like it, get it and don't take **** from anyone about it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
What part doesn't fit? Warwicks in general can fit any style, from reggae (P-Nut) to slap (Ryan Martinie, P-Nut again) to black metal (that dude from Satyricon). Single Coils can work just fine in any genre (see: Fender Jazz Bass). And don't let the fretless thing hold you back. You can find fretless bassists in any genre, not just jazz. Check out Steve Digiorgio. He uses a fretless and he plays OMG BR00TAL METALZ!!!11!1!!oneone!!11 If you like it, get it and don't take **** from anyone about it.

Noted. But my main problem is that I didn't like it because it was a fretless but because of the tone (it was strung with roundwounds), I'm not a fretless player and my playing style tends to rely on speed and precision (similar to Wolstenholme) and I thought a fretless would hinder that somewhat.

Edit: Just to clear it up, I don't play teh br00t4l metals, I play Stoner/Grunge Rock, Prog Rock and Pop Punk (in bands that is, in practise I play everything.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 15, 2009,
Out of the ones you mentioned I'd get the ATK.
The neck is pretty thick, so you should test it first, some people like it, some don't.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
The atk is very punchy, very musicman-esque. I love mine.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Spaz91
Noted. But my main problem is that I didn't like it because it was a fretless but because of the tone (it was strung with roundwounds), I'm not a fretless player and my playing style tends to rely on speed and precision (similar to Wolstenholme) and I thought a fretless would hinder that somewhat.

Edit: Just to clear it up, I don't play teh br00t4l metals, I play Stoner/Grunge Rock, Prog Rock and Pop Punk (in bands that is, in practise I play everything.)

I don't think it'd hinder speed/precision if you learn it properly. For example, Steve DiGiorgio.
you sound like you want a p-bass to me. maybe the atk. those 2. those 2 for sure.

you prefer clarity or a little spice?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Its pretty much neck and neck with the Corvette and the ATK. They're the same price and I want them equally but they're completely different.

GAH
then ATK.

and by clarity or spice I mean amps.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ Really? I'd go with Corvette.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
The Corvette is made of maple and alder, meaning its essentially a Jazz bass with MEC pickups and and active preamp. The Rockbasses Ive seen are very nicely built, and very versatile. Thats my recommendation.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Regarding the basses I'm just going to have to find a shop that sells both and do some careful comparison.

Any thoughts on the amp?
I wouldn't recommend the Laney, I have it, and it's good, it's just not great

I can get some decent sounds out of it, and to be fair I'm rubbish at EQing and the like but I can never really get it to make any really good or interesting tones.

Although like I say I'm crap with modifying my sound and it's possibly partially or mostly due to my bass which limits my tone
After reading reviews and looking at prices for the past few hours, I'm pretty certain I'm going to get the Ashdown. More wattage and cheaper. (The homage to The Ox is an added bonus.)

Also, is there any difference between the ATK300 and the ATK310? (Other than the 310 being dicontinued.)
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Spaz91

Also, is there any difference between the ATK300 and the ATK310? (Other than the 310 being dicontinued.)

The new 310 has got a rosewood fretboard, while the 300 got a maple fretboard.

The old ATK 310's got a maple fretboard but different colorschemes, if i remember correctly.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by kugelspot

well...

I'm more important, so there!!!

it's all personal choice, there aren't any big stinkers on your list, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

get the ATK its one of the best basses in that price range and for the amp get the ashdown
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by kugelspot

Wait... just realized its a rockbass corvette. DOH! Ya between the 2 choices, I'd go with the ATK on this one. But personally, I'd save up and get a Warwick Corvette. They are really worth saving up for, and not that expensive on CL (I think the cheapest I've seen was 600 or 700 for a corvette standard)
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Last edited by kugelspot at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by kugelspot
I'd save up and get a Warwick Corvette.

I wish that was an option, but A) I don't hav a job and B) Need new bass and amp quick.

Looks like ATK300 and Five Fifteen it is.
Interested in a Musicman SUB? I'm thinking of selling mine.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I'd say look out for used Corvettes and SUBs on Ebay and local classifieds. The Corvette standard has a ovangkol neck (and bubinga body on some models) and sounds better than the Rockbasses (Maple + Alder don't really give it the Warwick sound) IMO. Musicman SUBs are basically Stingrays without the gloss finish, made in USA and everything. They were discontinued because EBMM couldn't afford to make a bass in the USA for that price anymore.

If you're desperate to buy something now I'd go for the ATK too, which is a great bass.
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=19

your in the Uk thats for bass's, that are second hand, and there some great offers there

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=20

theres your amps, there was some really nice trace elliots a while back.

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54226&hl=peavey+tvx

know thats a great offer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
2nd hand isn't really an option for me. Basses doubly so. I have no means of transport so I can't easily go and play these things before I buy them, so my paranoia forbids it.
^ OK, ATK it is then. Trust me, the ATK will not make you disappoint, son.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
^ OK, ATK it is then. Trust me, the ATK will not make you disappoint, son.

Unlike the Warwick Rockbass Vampyre I tried (previously my first choice) which...

My final choice: Ibanez ATK with a Five Fifteen or an EB 180w (if I can get enough for my current bass.)

Thank you all for the help.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 17, 2009,
Get a train man, What your saying is your not willing to spend a bit of money on travel to go see a bass, the members on BC( i know i shouldnt be promoting other websites) are really great, and im sure they wont mind you coming and seeing instruments. You will get a better instrument for the same money and amp.

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45801&hl=ibanez+atk

look at that and theyll post thats the one with the single coil aswell, so its even better.
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41408&hl=ibanez+atk
http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14930&hl=ibanez+atk

theres 3 atks for cheaper than newIF you get a new atk when those are available and could spend more money on an amp i will do something.....
Bad.....
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Not only is it my decision it's my parents' decision as well, they're the ones with the money.
And i suppose they want to spend more money than they have to.

Im just saying, its what i would do.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Page 1 of 2