I decided it would be a good idea to get a head start on building a pedal board for the pedals I will soon be getting (see sig) so I started looking around the house for something to use, when I came across this shelf from my closet (sorry in advance for bad picture quality, I took the pictures with my cell phone)

And the convenient thing about it is that its already slanted when it lays on the ground.

I approximated how much room the 3 pedals and a chromatic tuner would take up by using my FBV Foot Controller, my Ibanez Tubescreamer, and the tuner and I'm guessing that they will take up about 3/4 of the bottom half of the board, so there's plenty of room if I ever decide to get a chorus pedal, delay, etc. etc.

I think I'm gonna spraypaint it red, black, or orange (three favorite colors) and to connect the pedals, I'll run the cable from one pedal down through one of the slots and bring it up through another slot and connect it to another pedal, which should hopefully give it a more organized look.

The only down part about it, is that the shelf is metal, but its not like steel or anything, so when I step on a pedal to turn it on, the shelf bends a little bit. but otherwise its very durable and not very heavy either.

Also, I don't know whether to put the powerstrip on top like this:

Or put it behind it like this:

Any other opinions on what else would be a good idea to do would be great, thanks

EDIT: Also, I'd like to add that the slots are only like 3/4" wide, so the pedals won't be like, off balance or anything. I set my Ibanez Tubescreamer on it and it fits perfectly on 3 of the rod-things.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 13, 2009,
It all depends on what you want. It may be difficult to put velcrow on that though to stick the pedals on.

Just go to home depot and get a piece of ply wood.
Or, you could get some plywood under the shelf to reinforce it. I like the idea of using that shelf though, cause you could attach the pedals using something like zip-ties or whatever. It might not be the best looking pedal board. But you definitely have lots of possibilities with that thing.
Quote by Chaosinborn
It all depends on what you want. It may be difficult to put velcrow on that though to stick the pedals on.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I don't know how well zip ties would work considering how thick (as in wide and tall) the pedals are. But hopefully they will.

Just go to home depot and get a piece of ply wood.

I'm trying to spend as little money as possible though

I have a piece of plywood here at my house, and its a perfect size, so if this shelf doesn't work out I'll use that.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 13, 2009,
You could zip-tie two zip-ties together. (Or more)
Dude I'm from Texas, you're lucky I'm not suggesting Duct Tape. :P
Quote by borunda32
You could zip-tie two zip-ties together. (Or more)
Dude I'm from Texas, you're lucky I'm not suggesting Duct Tape. :P

that would be so rad if I duct taped my pedals down
I'd rather place my pedals on the floor than have to look at that silly metal thing....but if you dig the look - more power to you.
That thing looks kinda flimsy.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I took all of your advice and I went and found some wood to use for my pedal board. I had to glue 2 pieces together.

It's the same size as the metal shelf I was gonna use, except its maybe 3 or 4 inches shorter. Ironically it was already black I think it used to be part of a desk or something. Tomorrow I'll probably work on getting it to slant, since that's really all there is left to do. I'm not getting the Big Muff or the Vox V847 Wah until after I get my new amp, so about another month or so, so its technically not gonna be completely finished until then. I've already got all the velcro bought and I went out and bought some paint, so I may end up giving it another paint job.