I have a GSR200 with some broken tuners and I was going to fix eventually but decided to convert it in to a fretless since I've been wanting one for a while. I was planning on using the soldering iron method but I'd like to see any other useful guides. and is it very hard to do? I have pliers that MIGHT work but I'm not sure if they're small enough. halp
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So I just email the guy and I get a PDF? I don't want to pay for it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Casketcreep
I actually have an e-book manuel of how to de-fret a bass.
I think it's on the pirate bay actually.

But ye, there are god awful amounts of guides online.

Now that's what I'm looking for Thank ye

I hope it turns out well because if it doesn't I'll have to buy a fretless neck.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
go to stewmac and get some radius blocks for leveling the fingerboard..i use the cheap rubber ones and they work fine for me. and after makeing my own blocks by hand for years i can tell they are worth every penny.
Quote by jhaymon
go to stewmac and get some radius blocks for leveling the fingerboard..i use the cheap rubber ones and they work fine for me. and after makeing my own blocks by hand for years i can tell they are worth every penny.

I will. How would their black fretboard stain affect rosewood since it's meant for ebony? Would it make it black or just darken it?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Necrobump but I have a question. I took the strings off and was conditioning the fretboard with lemon oil and I noticed how smooth the fretboard was. My girlfriend said it didn't even feel like fretboard wood to her (She's only played on rosewood) then I thought....Could it be plastic? I didn't think Ibanez did plastic fretboard but I'm curious now.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The Ibanez website says it's rosewood but your might be an older model .

stratkat
Quote by EuBoat
The Ibanez website says it's rosewood but your might be an older model .

It's only two or three years old. I was almost positive that Ibanez said it was rosewood. It's really ****ing smooth though. I guess it won't hurt with a fretless....

I'm getting my fret pullers, dye and radius block pretty soon.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I wanna do this. I'm probably going to use fret filler, any tips you guys have for me?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
I wanna do this. I'm probably going to use fret filler, any tips you guys have for me?

Use gloves if you're dyeing your fretboard.

Does anyone know if enamel is ok to use on a fretboard? I want to clearcoat it to protect the dye and keep the fretboard nice but all I have is enamel.

Once I replace some broken tuners I'll buy some flatwounds and string this bitch up.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
ahhh dude great idea! i did the same thing not too long ago. i just used a screwdriver and popped the frets out (not the best method ill admit) then i filled the cracks in with wood puddy (you can get it at your local hardware store) then i sanded everything down and repuddied about 4 times. note: looking back i wish i used a hand plane on the neck before i stained so the neck was even. so do that too. then i stained everything with some sedona red minwax stain. 2 coats. then used kryolon cleasr cloat (in the spray can) did about 4 caots, then wet snaded it down, then put on 2 more coats. it has a beautiful glossy finish and a real nice feel to it. i wanna strip it and plane it but decided its too much work. so deffinetly plane it before you stain! good luck. oh and i have pics and a better description in the thread "defretted success" just search it and itll help a lot. seeing how i have the same bass doing the same thing.

p.s. make sure you get "stainable putty" i got a certain color putty so you can still see the lines and what not in it. ah well. good luck. you can pm me if you need any more help
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
ahhh dude great idea! i did the same thing not too long ago. i just used a screwdriver and popped the frets out (not the best method ill admit) then i filled the cracks in with wood puddy (you can get it at your local hardware store) then i sanded everything down and repuddied about 4 times. note: looking back i wish i used a hand plane on the neck before i stained so the neck was even. so do that too. then i stained everything with some sedona red minwax stain. 2 coats. then used kryolon cleasr cloat (in the spray can) did about 4 caots, then wet snaded it down, then put on 2 more coats. it has a beautiful glossy finish and a real nice feel to it. i wanna strip it and plane it but decided its too much work. so deffinetly plane it before you stain! good luck. oh and i have pics and a better description in the thread "defretted success" just search it and itll help a lot. seeing how i have the same bass doing the same thing.

p.s. make sure you get "stainable putty" i got a certain color putty so you can still see the lines and what not in it. ah well. good luck. you can pm me if you need any more help

I'm not sure what clear coat to use and I really don't want to buy more spray paint. I have like 6 cans now. Would enamel work?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm not sure what clear coat to use and I really don't want to buy more spray paint. I have like 6 cans now. Would enamel work?

if you can get some poly, that would be best, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
hmm i suppose you could use enamel. technically it is the same thing.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by the humanity
if you can get some poly, that would be best, IMO.

That's what I've heard. I just have so much damn paint since I'm already in the process of painting a guitar and I'm not 18 so I have to have a parent get it for me. I'll see what I can do.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I used a screwdriver, wood fill, sandpaper, and some weird wood covering

it took well under an hour if you don't count the coats drying.

I destroyed that bass though, so it doesn't matter (literally, it doesn't exist)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Through the painting thread, I realized something. If I poly it, wouldn't it start looking bad after playing on it for a while?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by the humanity
naw.

Well, that's all the explanation I need.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
poly is pretty tough.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Do think I'd need it if I was playing on flats? I'm mostly worried about the dye because it comes off really easy when I condition the fretboard. It could be excess but I wouldn't want my dye to wear off really quick.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
if you're getting flats, you'll need it like blind people need paintings.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

One less thing to worry about. Once I get the new tuners I'll string it up and take pictures.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It is complete. I'm enjoying it and learned Face of Melinda by Opeth as soon as I got it tuned up.

Needs refinished but that's for another day.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Nice work...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by bolivardogman
looks sweet. was it alot of work?

Not really. I kind of half assed it anyway. You just have to be patient with taking out the frets and the tool Stewmac sells was really helpful.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls