So im looking to buy a new laptop for university and also for gaming. So im thinking of spending a grand possibly more. Any good suggestions for a nice powerful machine? i dont really want a large laptop.
I'd suggest a desktop for gaming. And if you really want to game on a laptop, either be prepared to sell a kidney, or buy a big laptop; high-performance laptops tend to have serious heat issues.
You can get a machine with 4gb ram and a good processor for way under a grand. Just make sure it doesn't have an integrated graphics chipset.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If you get a Toshiba your adapter WILL fail and you'll have to get a new one. Toshiba adapters ALWAYS fail.
Quote by skaterskagg1
If you get a Toshiba your adapter WILL fail and you'll have to get a new one. Toshiba adapters ALWAYS fail.

I have a Toshiba and my adapter hasn't failed!

..I broke it before it had a chance to fail.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
+1^^

I would also recommend ACERs. They are cheap, but you can get decent stuff for little money.

Also, thought about Apple? MacBookPro has a dedicated graphics card, and you get the added bonus of Leopard OS, AND you can put windows on it. Which you can't do vice versa.

Although I'm slightly biased as I have a MacBook.

P.s. it's great.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Last edited by Dawginator at Jul 13, 2009,
ibuypower.com ...but be carefull with laptops like the guy above me said, youll suffer from heat issues. i have to deal with them all the time, im already looking into getting a desktop
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
Quote by Dawginator
+1^^

I would also recommend ACERs. They are cheap, but you can get decent stuff for little money.

Also, thought about Apple? MacBookPro has a dedicated graphics card, and you get the added bonus of Leopard OS, AND you can put windows on it. Which you can't do vice versa.

Although I'm slightly biased as I have a MacBook.

P.s. it's great.

the partition is very cheap and easy to do... my brother uses it on his iBook and it works like a dream... on a MacBook Pro... that would be slick
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by EvilMonkeySG3
ibuypower.com ...but be carefull with laptops like the guy above me said, youll suffer from heat issues. i have to deal with them all the time, im already looking into getting a desktop

I believe that Alienware and whatnot (higher end laptops) have better cooling systems in them, more powerful fans, that kind of thing, but yeah, like this guy said, watch out for heat. Read loads of reviews of like, a shortlist, if you've made one.

If you gave us some ideal specs as well we could look more thoroughly.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE. They are complete pieces of shit. They do NOT have good cooling systems. They are also more expensive than the usual Windows laptop because they try to price themselves out of the market to seem better/more luxurious, but don't have the quality to back it up.

I'd either get a higher end Asus laptop or a Macbook Pro.

Asus is generally pretty good in quality and price, but the Macbook Pro is smaller/lighter and more efficient.

Asus is offering the new GTX000 series but most of them are lower end. Get the ones with 9600/9800GT's in them. However, I am not sure how good the cooling system is for Asus, but I haven't heard too many problems.

If you're looking at Macbook Pros, get the one with the 9600GT in it. Its advantage is that it doesn't use the dedicated 9600 card when there is nothing graphic intensive, which saves battery power by using the onboard 9400. Before you say "but I can't play games on a Mac": yes you can. Just install Windows like any other computer.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Mac it up baby.. they're awesome.. I don't have one, but they're awesome..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..