Would you rather work doing something you like or something that earns alot of money?

Poll: What would you rather do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you rather do?
Do something I like
124 77%
Do something that guarantees steady income
38 23%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 2
I'm about to start my junior year of college and am desperately trying to make up my mind about which major I should choose. I really want to do Anthropology, as I am very interested in the study of different cultures, groups of people, etc.
Currently I have Marketing picked as my major and am having second thoughts. I know that having a Business Administration degree would be good for my job prospects but I don't think I would be happy doing it.
Your thoughts? Also I will add a poll in a second.
i'd say it's pretty important to make sure that the thing you get stuck for 50 years with is the thing you like to do.

enjoyability over all. you can still lead a good life without pots of money.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
With the current state of the job market it doesn't really matter, you're not getting a job anyway. Suppose if there was a course in claiming benefits that would be quite useful
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Do what you're interested in first, then get a masters in whoring yourself academically.
Quote by faultyy
With the current state of the job market it doesn't really matter, you're not getting a job anyway. Suppose if there was a course in claiming benefits that would be quite useful

If he's only just starting his junior year, then he won't be looking for a job for a while yet.
Do something you like, otherwise you'll end up as a miserable rich man.
DeVillains!
Talk to people in your school's anthro department about what you can do with that degree before you decide it's hopeless.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

you dont need money to enjoy life, although you do to buy guitars ... i guess there is some correlation there :/
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
do not do marketing

just take a look at all the inartistic brainwashing advertising schemes used in TV and elsewhere.

Do you really want a part in that?
If putting in the same hours daily, I'd probably go for what makes the most money, for two reasons.

1- When it comes time to support a family, who gives a **** if I'm happy with my job, I'm a provider now.
2- You may not like the job, but if you're not working constantly, you'll have the time AND money to pursue things you love in your own time.

"Son, when I go to work, I don't get mad. I get payed."
I'm with Ylasto on this one. You can always work your way up doing something you like to earn money.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
probably something i like, im not sure if what i like is well paid but id be happy to do what id love most untill retirment

id like to be in an awsome band but my fallback is being famous
e-adopted to mdwallin and chaoticfables!
Quote by ZoSo_bc89
do not do marketing

just take a look at all the inartistic brainwashing advertising schemes used in TV and elsewhere.

Do you really want a part in that?

Yes. I think it's extremely interesting.

And there are some clever marketing campaigns.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
I'm not voting because I would hate to do something that makes tons of money because that usually requires tons of work. On the other hand, what I like is risky, so none of that for me. So most money for least amount of work? Pharmacist or anesthesiologist. This way, you have tons of free time to partake in your hobbies and you can afford to partake in your hobbies.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I the end - money is for enjoyment, so doing a job you like gives you that without being bored during working hours. Although, if there was a 'both' option...

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Something I like would be earning me a lot of money, or I probably wouldn't like it.

EDIT: Actually - this.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Jul 13, 2009,
If you like it and enjoy it you are more likely to try hard and succeed and move up the career ladder. Good things come to those that wait.
Quote by apak
So most money for least amount of work? Pharmacist or anesthesiologist.

They get paid so much because it takes so much training, though, so it makes sense. You have to remember how much chem is involved in both

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

"If you love what you do, then you never worked a day in your life."
-Confucious

(I'm not sure if thats exactly how it goes)

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I wouldn't want to do something I really liked for a job. It'd make it seem like a chore instead of something I do to relax or enjoy myself.

Steady income all the way.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
I would rather have an entertaining job and live a simple lifestyle (no expensive electronics, no going out to the movies every single weekend, no vacations across the world, etc.) rather than having a job I hate with tons of money to spend.
Quote by RPExecutor
i'd say it's pretty important to make sure that the thing you get stuck for 50 years with is the thing you like to do.

enjoyability over all. you can still lead a good life without pots of money.

+1
Do something you like.
I'm lucky in that what I like will make me as much money as I reckon I need.

For me though making a positive difference to the world is the most important thing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by skaterskagg1
If you like it and enjoy it you are more likely to try hard and succeed and move up the career ladder. Good things come to those that wait.

This. If you really enjoy it, you will succeed in it.
I'd do both. Something I like that earns a living salary. But that's a bit of an "avoiding the question" answer, isn't it?

Anyway, something you enjoy. As a friend of mine put it, "If you're doing something you enjoy for a living, you're never working. If you're doing something you don't, you're a slave that gets green paper occasionally."
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
As much as I would love to do what I like, if the jobs aren't there and the income isn't there then I'd rather take a job with a steady income.

I can use my free time to do the things I enjoy with the income I get.
I'm sorry, but I gotta say money.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

How can most people vote "Do something I like"? What if that job pays ****. I voted the 2nd option. Money always matters more than anything.
get both degrees. do the one you like and you have marketing to fall back on if needed.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
chances are that id like whatever job made me alot of money, but if it was nothing major, id pick what i love.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Alright guys, unfortunately it's too late for me to apply for a Anthropology major this semester. I don't know how the universities work, (Community College kid here) can I take some basic Anthro courses and apply for the major next semester? Can someone enlighten me on how major changes work?
If you like Anthropology, Marketing only seems to make sense; they go hand-in-hand, in a way. I'd say go with Marketing. What other classes will you be taking?

Besides, you're more likely to succeed in something you like. Take music for example; a lot of people take an instrument for their first year of middle school (or at least they do around here), and quit, because they don't like the instruments they chose from. But, a lot of them will play an instrument they like much more. Now that I think about it, my entire band was that way. For school, in the first year, I (the bassist) took Euphonium, and quit, our drummer played Tuba, and quit, and our guitarist/vocalist also took Tuba, and quit. I can't speak for the drummer, but bass is really my passion, and, because I care about it, have gotten really far into it; I've only been playing for seven months, yet when people, even other musicians, hear me play, they ask how many YEARS I've been playing; they always seem shocked when I say seven months. Same with my guitarist; he chose an instrument he hated for school band, he quit. He chose guitar, and then became entirely devoted to it. So pick something you want to do; you'll almost always be more successful that way
Last edited by herby190 at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by yoojee-er
How can most people vote "Do something I like"? What if that job pays ****. I voted the 2nd option. Money always matters more than anything.

You probably wouldn't think that if you were waking up in the morning to go into a job you hate and spend most of your days doing something you don't want to do.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I would choose a steady income, because that means I could support myself and a potential family.

In an ideal world, something I enjoy+income, but you know, no such thing as a free lunch.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Do something I like. I don't care much about money.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Something i like, as it pays enough to take care of the bills. I lead a pretty simple life though so those aren't too high.

Quote by MoonBoots432
Yes. I think it's extremely interesting.

And there are some clever marketing campaigns.

I hate to admit it but i used to work at an ad company myself... it paid well and i liked it for a while, but then i realised that marketing is really mostly about selling other people's lies, tricking people into buying crap they don't need. Besides, the last thing our society needs is more advertising and blatant consumerism.

Not that the essence of marketing is inherently wrong, it's just that there's way too ****ing much of it already (ads are everywhere we look, do we really need more?) and also it's virtually impossible not to have to deal with selling stuff that really doesn't need to exist, or is even objectionable. It's not like you can tell your boss something like "you know, i think it's immoral to convince people to take loans even though they can't afford it so i'll just skip this order, please tell the client to go elsewhere".

My experience is that if you have a strong sense of morality and social responsibility, it's probably a bad career choice. Just my 2c.
Page 1 of 2