Page 1 of 2
So I've finally paid in full for my Ibanez Fireman Custom and will now start saving for a head so I can actually put my orange 2x12 to use.

I'm split between these two amps, here are my favorite bands. If I had to describe the tone I want in two words it'd be tight and raw

Muse
Racer X
Paul Gilbert
SRV
Hendrix
Queen
Guns & Roses

Powerball http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/76312

+ Great low end
+ Saturated
+ Tight

- Compressed tone (hear this from Mark G a lot)
- Inferior cleans
- Might completely fail at SRV/Hendrix

Orange Rockerverb http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/771

+ British Tone
+ Raw
+ Great cleans
+ Should be able to do Hendrix/ SRV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-l6plJXpE

- Not tight enough (my main concern, I want it to be this tight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g )
- Enough gain for the likes of muse/Racer X ?

I haven't tried wither of these amps out but I will do in the future just thought I'd hear some opinions here first.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jul 13, 2009,
I think you should go with the Powerball. It sounds like you're more concerned with heavier tones than anything else. Personally, I didn't think the cleans on the Powerball were bad at all. I thought they were actually quite good! Also, the good thing about the clean channel is that it has its own gain knob despite the fact that it shares the EQ with the Crunch channel.

Also, regarding your desire of getting a "tighter" tone results from a few factors I've noticed; picking technique, the amp itself and certain features on a guitar (I noticed I get tighter bass response on a guitar with an ebony fingerboard).
Last edited by punker_7970 at Jul 13, 2009,
I don't think either of these will do what you want it to do based on the bands you listed. They might both sound a little too modern for the kind of sound you want and the Orange may just not have the voicing you want for Hendrix or SRV. I wouldn't consider either one to be "raw" sounding.

For the sounds you want, I would really suggest a hot rod Marshall plexi style head, maybe something along the lines of a Splawn QR or Competition. Splawn is one of the better values in terms of boutique amps.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 13, 2009,
I think you'd need a different amp to be honest. Try Randall MTS series. You can choose so many different tones with all the different modules. Listen Here.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Or

Try Baron custom amps. There around that price range too. You can get them made and modified to what you want for about 1400-1800

Edit: If you need more info about the MTS, me and Shinozoku on these forums are pretty informative about them.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jul 13, 2009,
Hmm thanks for the suggestions guys.

Another plus to the orange is that it takes to pedals well whereas the Powerball really doesn't.

I'd be boosting the orange with a fulltone ocd.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
They are both equally nice amps. The Powerball has too much compression for my tastes, but the Rockerverb isn't a whole better, to be honest.

The Powerball is a little too modern sounding, as mentioned, to suit Paul Gilbert and Hendrix. So out of those two, I'd go for the Orange. Plus, I reckon it has a more suitable balance of tone in a band situation. i.e. the mids are not quite as distant and the highs and lows are not nearly as showy.

That said, for essentially the same price as the Powerball, you could get this
http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/1985-diezel_einstein_50_watt_guitar_amplifier

This has a far more raw edge to it than either amps. It's tight and aggressive, but responds really well to playing styles and approaches. So SRV and Hendrix will be covered.
+1^
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
The Rockerverb has a much ballsier drive going on, especially when you crank it up a bit. Racer X can easily be had out of the Rockerverb, whereas the Powerball would be too deep and rounded IMO.
RV50 all the way.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The Rockerverb has a much ballsier drive going on, especially when you crank it up a bit. Racer X can easily be had out of the Rockerverb, whereas the Powerball would be too deep and rounded IMO.

I'd have though the Powerball would have excelled at Racer X specifically

Check here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhbQxCuszE
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
I'd have though the Powerball would have excelled at Racer X specifically

Check here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhbQxCuszE
there is nothing that says one cannot tweak an amp to sound like paul gilbert in the way that they see fit. you won't be able to entirely copy paul gilbert anyway, as the studio produces and engineers his tone to his requests.
he used laney amps at one time. i'm not sure which model, but i imagine it was either a gh100l, tt100h or a vh100r. so maybe that is something you could look into. they are all great amps.

really, it depends on how you hear them. don't try and think about it on paper. play them and then decide.
I'm not trying to copy Gilbert's sound. I have a Laney VC50 and used to have a GH100L

I'm just giving an example of tight/saturated I'd like it.

My local store have a powerball in but the rockerverb is out of stock, I'll check it out some time.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Any more opinions guys? Would be great to get some sound clips from anyone who has a rockerverb
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
because my vc50 sounds better
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Really? I thought the GH100L would work better than the Orange and ENGL for the bands you have listed. What in particular was wrong with it?
The VC50 is in essence the combo form of the GH100L with better cleans and reverb

Nothing wrong with it but I have a orange 2x12 here with no head on top

I'd like to own a head as well as combo so I can Jam with a mate here without him having to drag his amp along. It's nice to have 2 amps too in case one picks up a fault
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by Say Ocean
oh my god... rockerverb or thunderverb by a mile. God I hate the powerball.. compressed and a horrible voicing with not enough mids and too much highs and saturation... does not cut at all..

Exactly what I've heard

Guess the rockerverb would look like sex on my orange cab
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Say Ocean
Rockerverbs are awesome. If you reaalllyy need it tighter, boost it. But it is a kick ass amp.

It seems to be pretty much everything I want.

I'm being ridiculous asking for a tight saturated British sounding amp. They don't really exist
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
That description puts a smile on my face
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I agree with whoever said Splawn.

Too bad you live in the UK...the Randall MTS is a great alternative for you though. Has the tones and the versatility. What about the older VHT's or newer Freyettes?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I agree with whoever said Splawn.

Too bad you live in the UK...the Randall MTS is a great alternative for you though. Has the tones and the versatility. What about the older VHT's or newer Freyettes?

I would call VHT/Fryettes anything but saturated. Much more on the dry side.
Quote by al112987
I don't think either of these will do what you want it to do based on the bands you listed. They might both sound a little too modern for the kind of sound you want and the Orange may just not have the voicing you want for Hendrix or SRV. I wouldn't consider either one to be "raw" sounding.

For the sounds you want, I would really suggest a hot rod Marshall plexi style head, maybe something along the lines of a Splawn QR or Competition. Splawn is one of the better values in terms of boutique amps.

This.

PS: I played the Rockerverb a week or so ago. It's raw, and can be tight I suppose but I agree with al112987 - it's not for Hendrix and SRV. Really nice amp though.

I have zero experience with Engls. I own a Quick Rod. Build quality and tone are excellent. See my PM

PSS - A guy just bumped the Splawn Amp Thread stating that he needs to get rid of his QRod for financial reasons and he's in Europe somewhere.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 14, 2009,
For that kind of music I don't really know, compare them side by side?
I know from experience that the Powerball will do Hendrix and SRV quite fine, when you put on the clean channel with full gain, and some volume you'll have a nice natural distortion for that kind of stuff, but you will have to be fairly loud though, not enough distortion to my likes. The crunch channel can do it aswell, it sounds kind of Dirty while still remaining tight.
For Raw and Tight I'd definatly say the Powerball, but for the softer stuff, I don't know, haven't played the Rockerverb a lot. The Rockerverb does take pedals well, but the powerball doesn't really.
I'd say, try both side by side and see what you like better.

Edit: Also, the ENGL Powerball cuts trough a mix really nice in my opinion, I think whoever said it doesn't hasn't tested it on stage, but it is one of the things that amazed me most of the amp, it really cuts like a knife trough butter.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Jul 14, 2009,
go for the rockerverb, that pushed with an od should be perfect

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

A lot of people, including me, are instantly gravitated towards the Orange because of how it looks. Obviously it sounds amazing, and I bought one accordingly, but just keep in mind that everybody hears with their eyes. Go try out both, and a few other amps and see what you like.

EDIT:

Also, the Rockerverb cuts through like it's nobody's business. My other guitarist runs a Krank Revolution, which cuts well as it is, and people always tell him to turn up, even though I could be quieter than him, just cutting through more. It's a fantastic amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by pinguinpanic

Edit: Also, the ENGL Powerball cuts trough a mix really nice in my opinion, I think whoever said it doesn't hasn't tested it on stage, but it is one of the things that amazed me most of the amp, it really cuts like a knife trough butter.

Bull****.

I own a powerball, and even with the mids cranked on focused it doesn't cut through well at all. My 2nd guitarists bugera 6260 cuts through a hell of a lot easier.

Hence why i'm tempted to sell and upgrade. It sounds great on it's own, but not in a band situation. It just gets lost in the mix.

I've had a sound engineer tell me "your amps pushing a lot of air, not music".
The low end on the thing is just too big, not enough mids.

At most venues I've had this trouble, i always find people saying i wasn't loud enough after the gig. It wasn't because i wasn't loud enough. It just doesn't cut through with a band. This is with metal chugging btw.

Hmm orange rockerverb or splawn quickrod :P
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Any more opinions guys? Would be great to get some sound clips from anyone who has a rockerverb

I agree w/ the guys who say you won't get raw & tight out of either of those amps. A plexi style amp can be really tight & raw, but non-master volume amps can be a pain unless you re-amp them. I'm surprised no one suggested a Bogner Uberschall. I played one side by side with a Rockerverb 100 & a 5150 III, & wound up buying a 5150 III (which has ALREADY been sold ). The Orange sounded so loose & muddy by comparison (don't get me wrong, here...I love the tone of the Orange Rocker series amps, but they're not for metal IMO. Just too loose). The 5150 III was considerably tighter, but still maybe not as tight as Megadeth or Metallica, but close.
The Uberschall can be dialed pretty tight, but can get a bit boomy & loose on the low end if not EQ'd right, but this is just my opinion. Before you spend huge money, try as many of those high end amps as you can!!

Edit: If you want an amp that cuts through any mix, try a Soldano SLO 100.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jul 14, 2009,
Consider an ENGL Savage 120, its my current favorite amp when it comes to tight and raw. It isn't as compressed as the powerball, making it a more versatile choise. VHT is cool too, but might be a bit dry. Other options are the Uberschall which might be a bit too boomy for your liking, and the Diezel herbert which is potentially a better jack of all trades but not as great when it comes to all out raw metal.

All imo ofcourse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTkzGZox_c

Quote by riffhog

Edit: If you want an amp that cuts through any mix, try a Soldano SLO 100.

Yes that amp cuts like a mother*****, but I always found it to be more trash oriented. Other options to consider are the Mesa roadster and Mark V. All apples and oranges though, not sure which flavor suits you best. Try before you buy
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jul 14, 2009,
mesa stiletto
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by sharpant
Hmm orange rockerverb or splawn quickrod :P
I haven't played the Splawn, but from the video/sound clips and reviews of it, it may be more suited for your needs.
You can pick them up easier in the States second-hand as well, if that is where you are.
Page 1 of 2