I'm looking for a pedal to give a clean boost to my MESA Roadster combo so I can drive the tubes a bit more and get a decent tube distortion while keeping the volume at reasonable bedroom levels and without coloring the tone. I really like the tone I get from the Roadster when it's cranked, but when I dial back the volume a bit the distortion kinda dies out and goes flat. So I'm looking for a pedal that is rather transparent that will just slightly push the tubes to breakup.

I know common suggestions are to use a decent OD pedal like the Metal Muff or Bad Monkey as a clean boost by cranking the level and dialing everything else to 0. But I'm worried that an OD pedal may not be transparent enough and it would color my tone slightly. So I was thinking that maybe the best option in my case would be to buy an actual Clean Boost pedal. Specifically I was thinking something like the Keeley Katana or LovePedal Mini Valve. The only issue with this of course being the price of the Katana ($200). Would going for an actual clean boost pedal be the better option for me? And if so, which pedal would give me the best bang for my buck?

All suggestions welcome.
The Ibanez Tubescreamer is a quite transparant overdrive. It gives a slight mid-boost, but you could EQ that out. It runs for about 100 dollars I think, or you could build one yourself for about 50.
For my clean boostin needs I always fall back on my good ole Modded Bad Monkey. Transparent and enough boost to choke a horse..

I've done a few side by sides and its holds its own in that territory. But falls flat on its face as an actual OD..
you could look into the boosta grande by BBE; I think you could pick one up under $100. I would go to a music shop with your amp or to a shop that has your amp and try out a couple petals and try an OD and crank the level with everything set to 0 as you stated before.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Visual Sound True Tone Clean Boost. fairly new pedal. havent had a chance to try this one out, but I havent used a single dissapointing visual sound pedal. especially for the price of all of their pedals. its $100 new on musicians friend

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/guitar_effects_pedals/v2_truetone
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Get an Ibanez Tubeking and replace the 12AX7 with a 5751 to get less gain but more boost and drive.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

will a clean boost really do that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try an XOTiC RC or AC Booster. It's like your tone with more gain/volume.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Dave_Mc

No

TS, a clean boost won't help you at all. If you like the tone cranked, then you need to crank the amp, end of story.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
No

TS, a clean boost won't help you at all. If you like the tone cranked, then you need to crank the amp, end of story.

that's what i thought. my clean boost lets you get a little more dirt at very slightly lower volume levels. It's not going to make an amp at 1 on the volume knob sound like an amp at 10.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kevin Saale
No

+1

Threadstarter, if you want more OD at lower levels of volume, buy an OD pedal.
Yes it will add clipping. But some OD pedals are quite transparent.

I have a Danelectro Transparent OD, it's a clone of a Paul Cochrane Timmy - and it keeps the fundamental character of your tone. May unload it...so PM me if you want a good, cheap pedal.
*coughattentuatorcough*
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Not all that transparent. Not for bringing it down bedroom levels. If you want to use it to bring down your volume a few decibels at a gig, so you can crank you amp more...But it's not the answer for a bedroom guitarist.

Agreed, 100 percent.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
No

Says a reamping disciple. Blasphemy.
Quote by Dave_Mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DlnB37Y_k

0:54

Quote by Kevin Saale

Quote by Dave_Mc
that's what i thought. my clean boost lets you get a little more dirt at very slightly lower volume levels. It's not going to make an amp at 1 on the volume knob sound like an amp at 10.

I suppose "cranked" was a poor choice of words. I don't actually "crank" the volume, it just sounds that way because it's so loud.

Essentially, I get the tone I want when the Output is dialed to 10 o'clock, but I would prefer the volume level of 9 o'clock. Somewhere betwen 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock is when the tubes start to break up. A clean boost would achieve this, similar to how you can get an OD to act as a "clean boost" by dialing everything to zero. The reason I want to go with an actual clean boost over an OD is because it would provide better transparancy.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
^But not for getting a fatter, more overdriven tone at bedroom levels...

Huh? In that video that I posted that's EXACTLY what happens...
No, it gets noticeably louder.

Gain IS Volume. So if you pump more gain into an amp, looking to get more overdrive, you WILL increase the volume.
I would think increasing the volume isn't what we're looking to do, if you're looking for bedroom tones.

Add clipping with an OD pedal to keep the volume manageable.
Quote by Erkekjetter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DlnB37Y_k

0:54

I suppose "cranked" was a poor choice of words. I don't actually "crank" the volume, it just sounds that way because it's so loud.

Essentially, I get the tone I want when the Output is dialed to 10 o'clock, but I would prefer the volume level of 9 o'clock. Somewhere betwen 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock is when the tubes start to break up. A clean boost would achieve this, similar to how you can get an OD to act as a "clean boost" by dialing everything to zero. The reason I want to go with an actual clean boost over an OD is because it would provide better transparancy.

i've got a clean boost, i know how it works. It might do what you want... but it might not. It also depends on what type of tone you're running into, if you're running it into an already overdriven amp tone (say you're using preamp gain), it'll increase gain more than volume.

notice how in that link, they say, "louder and fatter". also, according to that link, the katana contains some clipping stages too- so it'll be acting more like an overdrive at some settings (maybe when you pull out the push-pull knob?).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Will increase the output of your guitar - i think - meaning that it will be louder.
***Short Sig***
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've got a clean boost, i know how it works. It might do what you want... but it might not. It also depends on what type of tone you're running into, if you're running it into an already overdriven amp tone (say you're using preamp gain), it'll increase gain more than volume.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. My amp has PLENTY of gain on tap, it's just that it doesn't really break up until I increase the volume to just above my prefered volume level. I want a clean boost so I can push the tubes to give me a little bit more "dirt" or "grit" to my natural overdriven tone without dialing up the volume on my amp. The overdrive is there, I just need a little bit more of it.
Well dialing up the volume on your amp results in more power valve overdrive, whereas running a clean boost into your amp will result in more preamp valve drive. Which might be what you're looking for, but I would definitely try a clean boost out before you buy to understand if it's the right tool for you.
Quote by Erkekjetter
That's exactly what I'm looking to do. My amp has PLENTY of gain on tap, it's just that it doesn't really break up until I increase the volume to just above my prefered volume level. I want a clean boost so I can push the tubes to give me a little bit more "dirt" or "grit" to my natural overdriven tone without dialing up the volume on my amp. The overdrive is there, I just need a little bit more of it.

Using the clean boost WILL drive up the volume on your amp.
I use clean boosts for solo boosts at gigs.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well dialing up the volume on your amp results in more power valve overdrive, whereas running a clean boost into your amp will result in more preamp valve drive. Which might be what you're looking for, but I would definitely try a clean boost out before you buy to understand if it's the right tool for you.

agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael

This. Think of it like cranking up the volume control on your guitar.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Excellent. That sounds about right. The Katana is on backorder at my local store, so I won't be able to tr it out for a while. Maybe I'll see if they have another clean boost avaialble that I can test drive to see if it at least delivers the desired effect.

Quote by forsaknazrael

Yes, I know. But from the samples I've heard the volume increase was negligible compared to the preamp boost that I'd get (don't require much). It would still be considerably quieter than adjusting my amp volume to the level required to achieve my desired overdrive levels. I barely touch the knob and it goes from comfortable bedroom levels to blaringly loud yet the overdrive only thickens up just slightly. It's definitely not a linear increase. Those MESAs are quite the touchy things I tell ya.
You can't judge the volume increase based on the videos you've seen. You have no idea what kind of compression or how the mic-ing situation is.

I dunno, I still think a transparent OD is your best bet. Like the Timmy/Danelectro TOD/Fulltone OCD.

They'll add some more clipping, without changing the fundamental character of your tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can't judge the volume increase based on the videos you've seen. You have no idea what kind of compression or how the mic-ing situation is.

Again, I know. That's why I always test pedals extensively before I buy them. But it seems to be consistent across all samples, so for me that's good enough of an indication to consider trying it out for myself.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Jul 17, 2009,