Hi,
I love Joe Bonamassa and his tone. Apparently he never takes his DD-3 off his pedalboard, and you can really hear it, how it really enhances everything, and I've noticed this is common with alot of artists.
1. What setting does Bonamassa use? I've seen and heard alot about it all being at 12 o' clock, but that would give a 600ms delay surely?

2. Which delay pedal should I get? What is the cheapest I can go? Considering I would be happy if it really was pretty much only able to do this kind of extra edge, reverb-y, Bonamassa type thing. Budget is not specific, but I want to buy second hand and I don't want to pay more than £50 really. The cheaper the better.

3. Would this work:
Guitar, Pedalboard ----> Amp ---->
Effects Loop send ----> Delay Wet signal----->effects loop return
Delay Dry signal -----> effects loop return of different amp (same model)

So basically, split the signal at the delay and have a delay-ed on one side and a non-delayed on the other.
It is two of the same amp: Marshall AVT50 (I think-it is provided by the venue)

Thank You all for your help on any of the issues

PS: I don't think I want the Danelectro FAB 4 echo.
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Last edited by Cachao at Jul 14, 2009,
Good question. To me personally he's perhaps the finest guitarist alive - with the tone to match...

Here's some tips on delay from the man himself:

Quote by Joe Bonamassa

Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive. ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble.. Those are the two I use.. One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav. Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus. Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe... So delay on one side reverb on the other. This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house.. Next is the most imortant thing. The Delay must be run through the effects loop.. Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle. It runs away from you and its hard to control. The effects loop is the only answer.. Now as far as effects loops are concerned. Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best.. Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988. Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out. Thanks Joe

I don't think I can really add anything to that!

As for pedals, I'm actually very happy with the Marshall Echohead - it's a surprisingly decent, well-built and transparent delay.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 13, 2009,
What Joe does with his rig is he has an amp splitter run like this.

Splitter
Keeley DD-3 A/B/C Box
Silver Jubilee Twinkleland Carol Ann JB JB100 (or Ecstacy)
Keeley DD-3 in loop

All DD-3s are set with all knobs at noon like you said. The direct out puts out only a delay and when it is in use the output puts out a pure clean.

EDIT: My diagram got screwed up but ^ that explains it better anyways.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, but I looked at a picture of the DD-3 on the google images, and surely all at 12 would give me a 600ms delay? And from demos that's not what it seems like...

Regarding the first reply, it's cool how he does it and that's kinda what I'm trying to achieve through my No.3 but I'm not sure that'll work for some reason...will it?

Thanks for the responses. By the way, I saw Joe on Saturday at GuilFest, he was sensational, he's come so far! He's a real talent and that was one awesome performance, if anyone ever gets an opportunity to see him, take it, it's worth it.
Quote by SLonergan

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by Cachao
Yeah, but I looked at a picture of the DD-3 on the google images, and surely all at 12 would give me a 600ms delay? And from demos that's not what it seems like...

Regarding the first reply, it's cool how he does it and that's kinda what I'm trying to achieve through my No.3 but I'm not sure that'll work for some reason...will it?

Thanks for the responses. By the way, I saw Joe on Saturday at GuilFest, he was sensational, he's come so far! He's a real talent and that was one awesome performance, if anyone ever gets an opportunity to see him, take it, it's worth it.

Caught Joe twice so far, including the Albert Hall, and I'm on the guest list for a show in November

He's a very down-to-earth bloke too.

As for the advice on the delay, the best bet from what I can gather is to try your Loop send>pedal>loop return plan and see how it works out.

Run one amp with the AVT's onboard reverb as your wet amp and the other as your delay amp. This should work unless the AVT's reverb comes before the preamp section - only way to find out is to test it. You're essentially only using the second amp as a power amp, but that's fine.

If you don't have your own sound engineer, make sure you buy the house soundman a beer or two, in exchange for you being a fussy ba$tard!
delay doesn't go in the effects loop. get a dd-3 if you want a good budget dealay. i have a dd-7 and the only modes i really use are 800ms at half (so i guess it's about 400 ms) and the analog sometimes when i don't want my repeated sound sounding to precise, if that makes sense. point is, dd-3 is all you really need. i never really understood modulation delay, the point of it i mean, and reverse is just fun for tricks.
Quote by dbl93100
delay doesn't go in the effects loop. get a dd-3 if you want a good budget dealay. i have a dd-7 and the only modes i really use are 800ms at half (so i guess it's about 400 ms) and the analog sometimes when i don't want my repeated sound sounding to precise, if that makes sense. point is, dd-3 is all you really need. i never really understood modulation delay, the point of it i mean, and reverse is just fun for tricks.

Delay should ONLY go in the FX loop if you're using preamp gain. If you're using power amp saturation, it should either be run through a mixer when micing it or when using a lineout into a seperate power amp. The only time it sounds good in front of the amp is when using a completely clean signal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, I thought so too-and yes I will make friendly with the sound man!

I'm looking at delay pedals cheaper than the DD-3. What should I be looking out for and what should I avoid?

Anyone get anything definite on the two amp idea yet?

I'm going to Denmark Street in London this saturday if that means anything to anyone.
Quote by SLonergan

Quote by Cachao
Yeah, I thought so too-and yes I will make friendly with the sound man!

I'm looking at delay pedals cheaper than the DD-3. What should I be looking out for and what should I avoid?

Anyone get anything definite on the two amp idea yet?

I'm going to Denmark Street in London this saturday if that means anything to anyone.

Seriously, give the Marshall Echohead a try - it's quite decent!
OK, Echohead *makes note*

Anyone got any ideas about settings? My amp effects loop idea? Or any more suggest and avoid pedals?
Quote by SLonergan

Not even any more which pedal ideas?
Quote by SLonergan

Ibanez DE-7
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
i just git boss gt10 pedal board..im finding all the delays seem to be behind the main signal.... im trying to get it to become more frontal....any tips on this one muchio gracio
Ringo

p/s iv toyed the obvious...using the effect output up high and direct in signal low but to no avail !