I see alot of todays bassists playing with a pick, and they aren't even playing a line, they're just playing one note 8 times, then switching to the next, and sometimes that seems the best way to put it in a song. But I mean they do it in the whole bands set! Have they no talent OR soul? No offense to all pick bassists, but Im thinking they could at least play with their fingers, because its pretty much like guitar but you aren't even playing chords, I mean come ON! is there no creativity?

I personally think these guys should look at the guy who plays for Rise Against. (damn, I forgot his name.) At least he puts a bass line in some of the songs.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
A lot do it because it serves the music best. Using a pick is a preference, and a lot do it for tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sometimes a song calls for 8th root notes.
I know creativity has been down lately but simplicity isn't always bad. E.g. listens to Starlight by Muse. Simple bassline but its what the song needed.

Those inde bassists can go die though
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 13, 2009,
I dunno, heres an example, youre playing a C 8 times, then goin down to G, making a 4th, now it would make the music better if they just hit that A on the way down to G. BAM! There is a very simple line that fits with all kinds of music. But they dont do that.

and Spaz, I agree 100%
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

Last edited by theamericandj at Jul 13, 2009,
The pick doesn't have much to do with it, but yeah.
I can't stand boring music.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Because they judged it unnecessary. Simple as. Lots of music doesn't have prominent bass, and having some super funky bass line is not needed or wanted. Filling out the low end serves the needed purpose.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Because they judged it unnecessary. Simple as. Lots of music doesn't have prominent bass, and having some super funky bass line is not needed or wanted. Filling out the low end serves the needed purpose.

+ 1

And what's wrong with using a pick? Just a diff sound. Same as using pick or fingers on guitar, I know people who can shred finger style. Just makes diff sounds
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
<< Pick bassist (suits my band's music and personal preference)

But I do agree that it's hard to imagine they haven't learned to throw in some fills or something.. I always wondered about a guy like Mark Hoppus because if you play music that long, you're going to develop.. yet his basslines are root notes almost exclusively. Maybe it's because he sings? I don't know. I suppose if a band really wants its guitar work and/or drums to stand out.. the bass may intentionally take a back seat.
monoslang.bandcamp.com

reverbnation.com/monoslang
Well it doesn't have to be a super funky thing, it just needs a few extra notes to keep it more lively. And maybe I went overboard with the pick, so lets just forget that.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

Quote by gm jack

+1

Music doesnt all need to be super complex and virtuoso. sometimes simplicity is what works best
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
This is getting closed because its been done to death in the forum and frankly, the opening salvo is thinly veiled trolling. No warning but kudos to all who've taken the high road in their answers in the thread.
There's nothing wrong with rootnote bashing. At all. The great thing about music is that you can write bloody great songs no matter the level of technical competency on an instrument. Blink 182's stuff doesn't need to be technical- it's simple, and it's fun. I think anything beyond that would ruin the music.

And anyways, don't get so caught up in what "everyone else" is doing and concentrate on your own sh*t.