Sorry if this is the wrong place for this didnt know where to post anyway, ive been learning electric for a couple months been mostly getting lessons except atm im trying to sort out a teacher. Anyway with my prior teacher lessons were mostly focused on technique and such didnt really learn any songs just a couple riffs here or there used as picking exercises and what not.

To get to the point my mates wanted to see what i could play thing is i dont really have much to show so im wondering if anyone could suggest a few good metal bands or songs from metal bands for a beginner to learn from start to finish pretty much i havent learnt any solos yet so if a song has a very basic solo i guess that would be a good start. Bands im into Trivium, COB, Metallica, Megadeth if that helps, Cheers.
Try Breaking the Law by Judas Priest for one. There's no solo in the studio version and I've never seen a tab for the live version that has a solo, and the song is very simple and straightforward. You could also try singing along with it if you like.

The first two Black Sabbath albums are pretty simple on guitar and have awesome riffs. Try Black Sabbath, N.I.B., War Pigs, and Paranoid. For songs on Master of Reality and after that, you'll have to tune down to C# to play along with the recordings, and if you don't feel comfortable with doing this don't bother.

As far as more recent metal, I can't think of anything at the moment that you would be able to play all the way through if you just started a few months ago. You could try Megadeth's A Tout le Monde. The solos in it aren't TOO tough.
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Master of Puppets - Metallica

The riffs are hard not because they are complex, but because they are really fast. Just start off super super slow and build up your speed.
Enter sandman?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Blackened- Metallica. I'm joking, after practicing this today a lot, my arms feel like they are going to fall off. Remember to downpick all of the rhythm parts of Master of Puppets.
Reccomendations-
Seek and Destroy-Metallica
Iron Man- Black Sabbath
One-Metallica
Motorbreath-Metallica
Holier than thou-Metallica
Stay away from Megadeth if you know whats good for you- its very technical. Wait until you have more experience.
GEAR:
Vox AD30VT XL
Jackson DK2M Dinky Trans. Black
Fender G-Dec
Razorback DB Black
EHX Metal Muff
Originally Posted by Kaasflipje
Metallica. I don't get what's so awesome about Master of Puppets.

he's awesome because he pulls strings
Black sunshine - White Zombie

Good warm up song too.
Last edited by Guit-FiddleMan at Jul 14, 2009,
Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden is one of my first metal songs,it's easier than it might seem.
ACDC - Shook Me All Night
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

The rhythm part of Enter Sandman is fun, but I'd leave the solo for a few months yet.

All pretty simple minor pentatonic solos. Just don't try and play them up to speed until you're ready.
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Seek and Destroy
Enter Sandman
Wherever i May roam

Mind you, if you have been only been playing a couple of months, don't expect it to sound perfect, you will have to improve your string noise muting, palm muting, downpicking etc before it sounds close to 100%, but those songs are a good start. I remember before i used to palm mute and before i kept string noise to a mimimum it sounded terrible, but the sooner you work on it the better.

To the guy that mentioned Master Of Puppets... come on man. I've been playing that song from day one, and 11 months in i still can't nail it 100%(close though, not including the main solo). The riffs may not be complex, but the speed, coordination and dexterity needed are far beyond someone who has been playing a few months.
uhm the coolest thing to do when you just pick up a guitar is playing riffs and cool things from song 'cause you repeat things very often in songs. and crazy train? the intro is awesome!

and uhm... maybe a bit offtopic but how do i change that picture left?
Last edited by Ibanez4life777 at Jul 14, 2009,
lol... In the upper left corner: Control Panel
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Cheers for the suggestion guys might start working on a couple of them getting frustratin practicin just scales and picking exercises etc.
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Fade to Black - Metallica
ESP Kirk Hammett 3
To tame a land- Iron maiden (simple but cool)
orion- metallica (simple and forgotten)
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Kirk said himself that he uses alternate picking in MoP to play at tempo
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, the first song I learned all the way through, it's also got a solo that sounds great but isn't difficult.

Also any other Black Sabbath stuff.

Metallica - Enter Sandman is pretty easy as well.

Also even though AC/DC isn't really metal, all their stuff sounds great, but it's easy to play.

Songs like Back In Black, Highway to Hell, TNT, and You Shook Me All Night Long
Last edited by Luigiman124 at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by TechnoLp
Kirk said himself that he uses alternate picking in MoP to play at tempo

Where?
Just pick any song and play real slow until you reach speed,
Mix and match, you'll get there,
(Angel of death sounds REAL weird slow though )
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Quote by HannibalX

(Angel of death sounds REAL weird slow though )

haha true though I found Season in the Abyss and South of Heaven more fun to play when I started...Good ol' tab book is still lying somewhere in the dust ^^
Quote by dNWaKE
Where?

yh where?.. i seen them live and he downpicks... ok fair enough he may alternate pick in the solo to get the tempo
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
Quote by Hagbard Celine
haha true though I found Season in the Abyss and South of Heaven more fun to play when I started...Good ol' tab book is still lying somewhere in the dust ^^

+666, i used that as a watermark when i was an utter newbie to gauge my playing.
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
So the opening riff on MOP is all downpicking to clarify? Also how bout the little riff before the solo where he picks out the chords that starts out Em then goes to D or just pick it however feels most comfortable as i was just using these more as exercises than to play.
Never mind i reread it. he does alternate pick in the song but the intro is all downnotes.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Crystal Mountain - Death
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.