So, I got a new bass about 2 weeks ago. I actually showed it off in a thread here. Recently, I began to notice my action was a little high.

After close inspection, I noticed my neck was curving upwards, like it was warped.

I immediately loosened the tension on all the strings.
Without the tension, the neck goes back to being perfectly straight, no curve at all.

Now, im assuming the neck is NOT warped, since it returns to being straight after the tension on the strings is loosened. Could the problem be either:
A) Maybe the string gauge is too much? Its only medium gauge strings
B) My trust rod needs adjustment

Anyone have any ideas of whats wrong?
Best option is to take the bass down to a shop and get them to set it up, it'll solve pretty much all these problems. It's the truss rod that needs adjusting from the sound of things but unless you know what you're doing I'd suggest just taking it to a shop.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
The neck should have a slight curve to it, induced from the strings. The truss rod is to stop excessive movement.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Ya, I had no plans of doing it myself, I just wanted to know if it was deff the truss rod before I spend the money to get it set up.
having a slight bow in the neck is normal. a warped neck is when the neck is twisted.
as mentioned, you should get a "pro" set-up at least once, then maintain those adjustments. here is a place to learn about your "set-up".
www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup
good luck!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
having a slight bow in the neck is normal. a warped neck is when the neck is twisted.
as mentioned, you should get a "pro" set-up at least once, then maintain those adjustments. here is a place to learn about your "set-up".
www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup
good luck!

Like the man said.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Just took it to get set up.
Even if the bow is normal, the action was pretty high anyway.
It was relatively cheap anyway, 40 dollars including the new strings.
Quote by watchingmefall
Basses HAVE to have a slight bow, but not too much. Take it to a luthier and get a set-up.

not necessarily, my washburn is as as straight as an arrow, low action all the way up and no fretbuzz. As far as I'm concerned a well designed bass shouldn't need to have bow
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
not necessarily, my washburn is as as straight as an arrow, low action all the way up and no fretbuzz. As far as I'm concerned a well designed bass shouldn't need to have bow
True but a very slight inward bow is standard practice and recommended when carrying out a setup.
With fret wear a flat neck will soon start to incur fret buzz that would appear much later on a neck with a slight bow.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I don't mind a slight bow, but I recently went to guitar center and played a VM Squire, couple Ibanez's and a musicman and check out the necks on all of them. None had a bow as big as mind did. The action was just too high.

Atleast the wood didn't stay bowed when I took the tension off the strings. It went straight as an arrow.

Im gonna pick it up today and find out how it went. Im assuming it should all be fixed.