I've been playing guitar for about 3 years...I play a Strat w/ Custom Shop 69s into a bunch of pedals and into a Hot Rod Deluxe and I think that the reverb channel on the amp sounds beautiful at about 4. I read an extensive article by Bjorn Riis of Gilmourish.com regarding the use of reverb live and how it drowns out and ruins guitar tone. I highly regard Bjorn's extensive knowledge and opinions regarding guitar tone, and study his site regularly in my quest for knowledge about tone. Is this mainly an opinion regarding reverb, or is it something that should be taken as gospel? Many guitar players I admire use reverb constantly *John Mayer*, but others like David Gilmour, who I also admire, do not.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
tell you the truth, i think it is more opinion. I personally agree with him, i think everything sounds much better without it. But i've also never heard that before, so idk. Probably opinion though.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
I remember reading an interview with John Mayer where he said that he was trying to back off of his reverb use since he felt that it muddied up his tone as well.
I've always looked at guitar playing with effects like I would look at a woman; think about it using this metaphor.

Your talent on the fretboard, your individual technique, is like a girl's personality.
The effects you use to spice up that technique would be the girl's looks/body.

If you go by this thought process, obviously a girls needs to have a great personality for a relationship to really develop, but the looks are usually just as important.

Now, if I can tie that in to what you're saying; some guys are butt guys. Some are boob guys. Some are legs guys. Some guys like flanger. Some guys like chorus. Some guys would prefer a woman with a smaller chest, a bigger butt, and a more subtle Leslie effect. I know I would ; )

Anyway, what I'm saying is, effect choice is completely, 1000% opinion. He's not wrong, but he's definitely not right. I think some tones absolutely need reverb to carry their musical weight. But again, it's all opinion.

EDIT:
Quote by The Real Ming
Whoa!!! Look how many pedals you have. I feel that having that many is a waste. How do you decide which ones to use? Do you use them all at the same time?

Having more pedals is never as bad thing; just ask John Frusciante or Mike Einziger.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Last edited by Denthrare at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by The Real Ming
Whoa!!! Look how many pedals you have. I feel that having that many is a waste. How do you decide which ones to use? Do you use them all at the same time?

No I write pretty much all the original songs for my band Doomsday Arsenal, and I try to give each tune its own tone. Having three distortions may seem like overkill, but I think that it helps keep things interesting. I like to switch it up, too. On night song A will have chorus, song B will have phaser--another night song A will have phaser, song B will have chorus, or no effect at all, and so forth. I also do the same with distortions depending on my mood. We have a song called "War Crimes," which is my favorite and therefore I try to give each performance its own sonic flavor. The blues driver or tube screamer is used for a more modest sound, and the silicon fuzz is a far more aggressive, Hendrix-y barrage of sound.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe