So I tried listening to this avantgardyness, and, uh....

The hardest part of being a music fan is keeping a straight face. Someone will hand you music that is misbegotten, tell you it's good and that many people really dig it. Your job is then to keep from laughing or crying until they're out of the room. Isis "Wavering Radiant" falls into the category of "I hope it's satire."

Read on for full review:
Isis - Wavering Radiant (2009)

It really isn't my thing. Anyone else like this?
Did you ever consider that Isis is a popular band and they have their own big thread?

And just so you know, you fail. Isis is the megatits.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by darkstar2466
Did you ever consider that Isis is a popular band and they have their own big thread?

That's interesting. It doesn't show up on the first page of hits from the search box. Wonder why?
Quote by diminishedtobme
Good stuff.

Judging from your signature, I'd say your opinion on music is invalid.
I've met ducks which can write better reviews than that.

Oh, and maybe I should start a load of useless threads linking off to my reviews
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 14, 2009,
Aw man, I just bought Wavering Radiant, it's all ruined now.

Quote by Dr Shipman

Hey, back off! Billy Mays was a great singer.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Dr Shipman

No one puts down diminishedtobme and gets away with it.

Chaaaaarge!!!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by ..NEM..
Aw man, I just bought Wavering Radiant, it's all ruined now.

It's one of the best albums of 2009 so far, don't listen to that guy.

Ever.
Quote by Conservationist
That's OK; not every duck can tell the difference between good writing and bad, and the same goes for humans.

It's not that it's poorly written, it's just dripping with pretentiousness and an over-inflated sense of superiority for not enjoying an album. If whoever wrote it calmed down a little with the "metal of insincere people" and "poseurs" garbage, it would be fine.

This reviewer somehow thinks he's some authority on what real metalheads should like when really, there's no such thing. I love Isis, and I don't think Isis has ever claimed to be, or tried to be a metal band.

People should be free to listen to whatever they want and enjoy whatever they want without coming under scrutiny and being called fake because they don't conform to the views of someone who thinks they know it all. It completely ruins this review.
I take issue with this part:

I guess that's what floors me most: how little "different" is going on here, and how much of well-camouflaged "same" is present. There are periodic indie metal riffs, meaning they're not twisty phrases of interest like death metal but a lot of strumming with sudden breaks.

But it's different, you see, because it's all mixed together, and even though everything else is made of mixed-together stuff, this mix is different. The clean singing reminds me of Christian rock bands. The melodies are jazzy pop but stay localized in different parts of each song, making the whole thing an incoherent salad of bits that try so hard to be like a style that they end up being stylish but having no distinct voice of their own.

The fact that "the mix is different" does, in fact, make it different. It's not so much different now, because there's tons of bands doing the style, but Isis were one of the first. Like you said, everything else is made of mixed-together stuff; the differences, then, are in the ingredients. They have a distinct voice of their own because they were doing it before pretty much everyone else.
Quote by ..NEM..
Hey, back off! Billy Mays was a great singer.
With a lot more hair around the head, I'd probably mistake him for Glen Benton.
Aaron Turner is a sonic genius on every level, and his latest release with ISIS is an amazing aural masterpiece.

Your misconceptions about his genius are only rooted in your misinformed nature of the style, and your lack of post-enlightenment in the magical ways of post-metal.

[/stereotypical fanboy answer]

But, yeah, why not post your own thoughts? I swear, any time I see you post a thread about a band, you quote an article or review, and don't really comment your own views onto the album.

If it's not your thing, I can understand, but at least explain in your own words.

*moves on*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20