Now this is a guitar I want, body of first image, neck of last. - Headstock of a usual SG.

An SG style body, with a, what I call, seaburst finish.
Kiskae mockup:

It'd be a mahogany body with a quilt maple veneer on top, the veneer finished in blue, and the rest of the guitar in black.

Aswell as the neck/fingerboard of this:

A random fingerboard design I did a while ago on some guitar designs I lost in a reformat... It'd be a 3pc fingerboard: 25% Ebony, 25% Maple, 50% Ebony. With ebony dots on the maple at the usual places. The neck would either be Mahogany, or Maple.

How much would you guys expect to be payed if you were to make this, and have it routed for the usual SG, however with a hole for a 2.5mm jack for a piezo bridge pickup. - set neck btw.

I'm a student with only 9p in the bank atm, so it's all just to give me an idea of how much I'd have to save to have it done in the future.
Last edited by RJackson at Jul 13, 2009,
For that kind of work, you're looking at upwards of $900 for most inexpensive builders, but way, way more for professional builders.

Talk to some of the members on this site, who I'm sure will post in this thread.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Back at my shop that'd be somewhere in the range of 900-1000 before electronics and hardware. The biggest issue really would be the neck. The body alone (before finishing) would run you about 300ish (depending, of course, on the figuring on the maple veneer), maybe 400 finished with everything except the pickups. It's really the unusual neck that's gonna screw you. What sort of base wood would you want for the neck? I've never used ebony outside of the fingerboard, but if that's what you really want, it won't be easy. It'd be significantly cheaper to have the neck made of maple or mahogany or hell, even koa would be cheaper (never thought I'd say that), and then have the maple and ebony fingerboard. That I could do from anywhere between 200 and 400, maybe a bit cheaper if you settled for imitation ebony for the inlays. The routing in the body would be no problem, and having a set neck is only marginally more expensive than a bolt-on, but that neck is gonna cost you.

The overall cost really depends on where you go, but yeah, back at a shop like mine expect to spend about $1,000 for something like that.
$2000 upwards for a decent builder.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
what program did u use to digitally create that guitar? does cost any money?
Don't steal.
The government hates competition.
Man, Fosite nailed it.

My input: That fretboard, the way you have it designed, would be 66.6666666666666... % Ebony and 33.3333333333333... % Maple.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Oh, I wasn't clear, the neck would probably be mahogany to match the body, or maple as most necks are... It'd just be the fingerboard with the 'fancy' detail.

I'll edit that into the main post.

In response as to how the render was created... The SG was done with Kiskae, the other one with Pro/Desktop (now sold as Pro/Engineer), and it costs money, unless you look at the right areas of the internets.
Wait... I see it now. 25 - 25 - 50, in that order... ok...

My bad, homie slizzle.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by Copaman
Man, Fosite nailed it.

My input: That fretboard, the way you have it designed, would be 66.6666666666666... % Ebony and 33.3333333333333... % Maple.

huh? the maple strip isnt centered on the fretboard. if you divided the board into 1/4ths then the first 1/4th is ebony, the 2nd 1/4 is maple and then the last 2 1/4ths (the last 1/2) are ebony. its 25% maple 75% ebony.

edit: lol you posted correcting yourself at the same time
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
That's fretboard looks sick. I'd rather have it 1/3 ebony, 1/3 maple, and 1/3 ebony and put inlays in the maple or in between the maple and the ebony at the top. I think it would be easier if the neck was maple no? Then you just have to route for the two pieces of ebony and you can leave in the maple strip. Or you can do maple and maple the maple strip like flamed. That would look real awesome. Custom necks jobs are expensive. Like 500 bucks plus. Especially that one. I like the tone and feel of maple necks better than mahogany. Feels smoother and you don't have to coat it with laquer or anything. All you need it a bit of oil and it's the fastest neck ever. And because the top is going to be veneer, you can use a bit of maple in the guitar as veneers do virtually nothing for tone. Or you may want a mahogany neck because you dont want to sacrifice the warmth of mahogany by adding of a chunk of maple. Up to you.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I would say have an experienced builder do the neck and you build the body yourself. Saves money that way, no?
That multiwood fretboard is an awesome idea, I think I might have to steal it if I get around to doing a build.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
That multiwood fretboard is an awesome idea, I think I might have to steal it if I get around to doing a build.

Yeah feel free, I was hoping when designing it, it'd be something unique just for me. But I actually love seeing how other people interpret and expand upon my designs, so please do.
That fret board looks sick. Its gonna cost you unless you do it yourself... I think I may actually do it myself...
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
I'm stealing your fretboard idea. I would start by laminating ebony and maple like a neck blank. then resaw into fretboards. run it through a joiner and a planer. radius board. use ebony dots for the inlays.

BTW I have seen the maple ebony triangles on a fretboard before.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.