What effects/ EQ do you use while shredding? especially sweeping.? And whats one piece of equipment in your arsenal that gives you your sweeping tonality? peace
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
my chain goes like this for sweeping:

lefthand->righthand->pick->Guitar->amp

you cant improve technique with any sort of effect.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
lol. im not saying to replace technique. but something to spice up the sweeps..
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
a touch of reverb, and in special cases some weird delays for that continuous sound
LOADS of distortion (If im using my practice amp, the boss ML-2 with distortion on max, low and high at 2 o'clock), switch to a neck humbucker. Does it for me. Gets that nice blurry sound when sweeping/shredding fast.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by uptheirons17
lol. im not saying to replace technique. but something to spice up the sweeps..

the best way to spice it up is with your hands. but if you are asking what settings make sweeping sound best, i'd say lots of gain, warm eq settings, some delay. but it all starts with the fingers.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i always wondered about using a wah while sweeping but my skill probably wouldnt create something gnarly.
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by pigeonmafia
LOADS of distortion (If im using my practice amp, the boss ML-2 with distortion on max, low and high at 2 o'clock), switch to a neck humbucker. Does it for me. Gets that nice blurry sound when sweeping/shredding fast.

I have an ML-2 and if i turn the gain anywhere past about 2 o'clock it gets obnoxiously distorted and anything past 3 it just turns to buzzy fuzz and feedbacks like nothing else.
I like a little reverb
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by Pac_man0123
I have an ML-2 and if i turn the gain anywhere past about 2 o'clock it gets obnoxiously distorted and anything past 3 it just turns to buzzy fuzz and feedbacks like nothing else.

Works fine on mine: I had it on max to get my left and right hand muting up to scratch, as even the smallest sound possible rings out like hell on max. And I just never turned it down really, unless I'm doing full songs. What guitar and amp do you have?
left and right hand muting. now theres somehting i need to work on.. any tips?
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Am I the only one who sweeps with a totally clean signal? I feel like a loser. I rarely sweep when playing with lots of gain. But I can't imagine them sounding like anything but mud with a BOSS ML-2 with the gain all the way up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
you gotta practice clean to get the picking dynamics right. after that, distortion is useful to hear incorrect muting.

And it sounds like mud for rythm when on max, which is why i turn it down for full song lol
Quote by mmolteratx
Am I the only one who sweeps with a totally clean signal? I feel like a loser. I rarely sweep when playing with lots of gain. But I can't imagine them sounding like anything but mud with a BOSS ML-2 with the gain all the way up.

actually, i sweep with a clean tone all the time. actually, lately all my playing has been with a clean tone, it really makes the dynamics sweeter.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by stephen_rettie
onto the neck p/u and sweep, thats all.

+1 I always sweep with the neck pup
Quote by guitarsftw
actually, i sweep with a clean tone all the time. actually, lately all my playing has been with a clean tone, it really makes the dynamics sweeter.

I'm a jazzer so I can't use much gain if any at all. But it really does. I find I can get alot more emotion with varying pick attack and the like into my playing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by metalcorefan
+1 I always sweep with the neck pup

the neck p/u really??!!!? i'm always using my bridge, and it sounds way better...
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
I always use the neck pickup...sometimes a touch of reverb or delay...but nothing beats a clean, articulate sweep
Quote by uptheirons17
the neck p/u really??!!!? i'm always using my bridge, and it sounds way better...

Yea, its personal preference I just think it sounds the best on the neck pup
TS, were you talkin about actual effects like a flanger or phaser? is so, i occasionally use the flanger on my amp and then set the tempo to my sweeping speed. it didn't sound too bad, IMO.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"