I just bought a new amp head and cabinet. The head has two inputs for 8 ohm and 16 ohm.
As for the cab, it has 2 speakers rated for 8 ohms. This whole head/cab thing is new to me. So which should I be connecting to?
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
How many ohms is the cab? It's probably 16 in which case you'd wanna plug it into the 16 ohms jack on the amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm guessing you mean in has an 8 ohm speaker output and a 16 ohm output as well?

Anyway, always match your ohms 8 ohm output --> 8 ohm cab, 16 ohm output --> 16ohm cab. If you can't match the ohms try and use a lower setting than the cab is wired for. I've read you can get away with using a higher ohm output than your cab, but I wouldn't personally do it.
That's the thing. I don't really know. It was a used Avatar vintage 2x12 cab. The speakers say 8 ohms on them. They're of the Eminence brand and thats about all I know.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
Get a multimeter and test the resistance of the cab.

Or look and see how they're wired

If it's + -> - then it's gonna be a 16 ohms cab

If it's + -> + or - -> - then it's a 4 ohm cab

It's more likely that it a 16 ohm cab, they're more common.

Or take some hi res pics with close ups and I'll tell you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 13, 2009,
Well, I attempted to look at the + to -, only to find that each speaker goes to its own input.
So would that mean I should set the amp to 8ohm?
Good lord this is confusing.
Should've just stuck with my combo.

Edit: Ignore that. They're attached. Give me a minute and I'll see what's connected where.
Last edited by Born A Fool at Jul 13, 2009,
Ok, the speakers each have the wires from the + and - running to separate inputs, and then one cable connects the inputs. According to the Avatar site there are two inputs for the sake of daisy chaining cabs.
Alright, lets try this again. I took the back off and took a look inside. Where the inputs are, the + is then connected to the - of the other speaker.

Edit: So that would make it a 16 ohm amp?
If so, thank you very much for helping out Kevin. Thanks to you I can finally enjoy the tone of my new rig.
Last edited by Born A Fool at Jul 13, 2009,
I'm glad this guy figured out his rig but honestly is doesn't really matter that much. A speaker rated at 8 ohms doesn't always measure 8 ohms in all cases. It depends on frequency and temperature, and speakers do heat up. If you have a 16 ohm cab the 16 ohm output is just a suggestion. In theory your tubes may last longer but iit's ok to try the 8 ohm tap too and if it sounds better....