So, I am just about to buy myself Final Cut Express 4 for Mac and this camcorder, which saves to an SD card in MPEG2 file format: http://www.dixons.co.uk:80/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2129503380.1247523707@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadehkefjejlcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined&sku=122589&category_oid=-28583

My question to you guys, is will this file type (MPEG2) be compatible for editing in Final Cut Express 4? Will it be as simple as plugging my camcorder into my computer's USB port (or plugging the SD card into an SD reader into the USB) and dragging the files into Final Cut for editing, or is it more complicated than that, and will I need some video converting software? I think it should be fine, but just wanted the go ahead before I make my purchase

Thanks in advance, Dan.
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

*Shameless bump*

Can anybody help me?
Quote by tubetime86

I would highly recommend getting a dv-tape based camcorder instead as MPEG2 is shite, but final cut will be able to utilise it if you really have your heart set on it.

In final cut you either:

Connect your camera with whatever cable it has and then use the 'log and capture' tool to capture the footage from the camera into the project.

or

Drag and drop the files from the card onto your computer and then use the 'import' tool to import the files into the project.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Last edited by Blackbullet at Jul 13, 2009,
Ok, thanks for the help. Yeh, I understand the quality will be inferior, but I am new to recording anyway, and my videos will only be used to go on Youtube, so I think it's all that I need at the moment. The main reason I am opting for an SD based camcorder is convenience: I don't want to have to wait in real time for my videos to transer into Final Cut

One day I'll upgrade to a better camcorder, but this should be fine for my current needs and just to get me started. Thanks again, mate
Quote by tubetime86

No problem, have fun
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。