learn every note on your guitar. should be a start.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
Probably the scales, major and minor and finding all the numbers like a 4th or a flat 5th, but this stuff should come with experience, so don't worry about it.
COLOURFUL SIGNATURE

compliment from fellow UGer
Yup every note helps. ex: 3rd fret on the A string is a C note.
Then lean what notes go together in keys. Like the key of D uses
D E F# G A B and C#. Then go onto chords that go in the key of D which are
D Em F#m G A Bm C#dim. Sorry if that was a bit much for you.
Well, I guess I know a LITTLE xD

I know the minor, major, blues, minor pent, major pent and almsot finished the harmonic minor scale. I know the notes on the E and A string. What should I do after i've learnted them on the other strings?
Quote by Power Metal Kid
Well, I guess I know a LITTLE xD

I know the minor, major, blues, minor pent, major pent and almsot finished the harmonic minor scale. I know the notes on the E and A string. What should I do after i've learnted them on the other strings?

Leaning about major scale harmony would probably a logical next step.

When you say you know them, make sure you know intervals of those scales, you know what sound they produce, and you can apply those intervals to any key around the entire fretboard. If you stick to scale shapes your progress might be slower than if you learned the theory behind the construction of those scales.
Being able to read music. knowing your intervals. knowing the major and natural minor scale (and key signatures). Knowing how to construct major/minor/diminished/augmented triads.

thats pretty much what we learnt in grade 1 music, if I can remember right.
Read "The Crusade" articles in the column section of this site. Great theory stuff for beginners.