Poll: GIBSON FLYING V FADED WC vs. FENDER AMERICAN HIGHWAY 1 STRATOCASTER HSS
Poll Options
View poll results: GIBSON FLYING V FADED WC vs. FENDER AMERICAN HIGHWAY 1 STRATOCASTER HSS
GIBSON FLYING V FADED WC
28 44%
FENDER AMERICAN HIGHWAY 1 STRATOCASTER HSS
35 56%
Voters: 63.
They are about the same price.
I play Classic Rock, Metal and Blues.

I don't really like the red ones but...

LIGHTNING
Last edited by | Lightning | at Jul 13, 2009,
It would be kickass to own both guitars in the same color
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

that gibby will sounds great with all those styles. i'd get that
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
v. it is awesome. gibson Vs just look like the eat cool and shit awesome

set neck > bolt on IMO
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Last edited by skwelcher at Jul 13, 2009,
Try them both out and see for yourself
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Flying V. Better for metal and a lot of classic rock, and decent for blues 'cause it's still sporting Gibby p'ups. Also is set-neck and looks nicer, I think. Strat will be more comfortable to play (If you're like me and find V's awkward sitting) and better for blues, but V is overall a better guitar IMO.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

I would avoid the gibson. I own it and it just sits in the gig bag nowadays. Ive had a lot of issues with tuning, intonation, and wiring. Its not that great for metal in my opinion. My Schecter Damien 6 owns it in every way possible. Never played the fender but im not a fan in general. I hate their rosewood.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Try them both out and see for yourself

I can't try them. I'll have to buy online.
LIGHTNING
Quote by | Lightning |
I can't try them. I'll have to buy online.

imo way too risky to buy a guitar based solely on internet reviews without at least trying a form of either guitars.
Dude, turn off the caps lock. You're not Billy Mays. *Is still sad about the Ad King's death. Moreso than Jacko as well*

Ayyway, strat. On the one hand Kirk Hammett used Flying V's at one point and Metallica is metal(I know there others, but he fits my second example for metal), and Albert King did Blues on one. Both are suitable for rock so I won't go there. On the other hand, Kirk Hammett again is now playing a 25.5" scale alder-bodied guitar with a humbucker in the bridge. And don't get me started on strats + Blues.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Strat

Both can do Rock, Blues and Metal very well - there's no real difference, but the strat has two single coils which would probably give a better clean tone IMO.

Other then that, it depends on which is most comfortable to play.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i think people understate the versatility of a flying V quite a lot. it will be fantastic for classic rock and blues, perhaps metal although i wouldn't be so sure of that - it should do it quite well though. On the other hand, the strat will probably be fantastic for classic rock and it will be just as good but very different for blues - it depends on the shade of blues you're looking for as there's a lot of neck-pickup leads in blues and the V will offer a sweet soaring smooth tone whereas the strat will have a bit more dynamic response and a clearer crisper sound - i think any guitar is a good blues guitar and it's all a matter of taste. Also strats and metal are an aquired taste as they do maintain a bit of a twang even with a bridge humbucker as they are twangy by nature.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ +1 Speaks the truth.

Either way, you need to get a feel for these, because even if they sound great, you may hate the way they play. Strats aren't awkward shaped, so that wouldn't be a problem I would think, but I prefer the Flying V neck over a Strat neck any day. Is there any way you could go to a GC or something to try one?
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

almost all I play is blues so strat. but I guess for you the v would be more fitting. When it comes to blues, albert king is probably the only one who used a v and unless you're planning on playing it upside down and tuning it down a million steps you aren't getting his tone, that's for sure. For metal does malmsteen or jeff beck count? Of course strats are good for classic rock too. Look at hendrix, eric clapton, ritchie blackmore and a bunch of others for blues like buddy guy, stevie ray, robert cray and a lot more.
Last edited by acoustielectric at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by CaparisonCore
^ +1 Speaks the truth.

Either way, you need to get a feel for these, because even if they sound great, you may hate the way they play. Strats aren't awkward shaped, so that wouldn't be a problem I would think, but I prefer the Flying V neck over a Strat neck any day. Is there any way you could go to a GC or something to try one?

Which Strat neck?
Strats have many different necks - unless you're referring to the specific neck of that model?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
get the V, more versitile imo.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Simsimius
Which Strat neck?
Strats have many different necks - unless you're referring to the specific neck of that model?

I've found most the Fender Strat necks to be pretty similar. Strat to Tele is diferent, but I personally can't tell that much between a Strat and a Strat.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by CaparisonCore
I've found most the Fender Strat necks to be pretty similar. Strat to Tele is diferent, but I personally can't tell that much between a Strat and a Strat.

Really?
I have a V neck, and it's much different [shape, and probably radius] to a C necked Fender.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by CaparisonCore
^ +1 Speaks the truth.

There is no GC in Portugal

Sure, there are many guitar shops in Portugal but in the city where I live there isn't any big shop with many gitars.
LIGHTNING
Quote by minchew
I would avoid the gibson. I own it and it just sits in the gig bag nowadays. Ive had a lot of issues with tuning, intonation, and wiring. Its not that great for metal in my opinion. My Schecter Damien 6 owns it in every way possible. Never played the fender but im not a fan in general. I hate their rosewood.

I know it's all up to personal preference, but if you think a Damian 6 owns the V in every way, well I don't know what to tell you.

I just got a Faded V, and it has changed my whole perception of the faded line. I wouldn't doubt they are fairly "hit or miss", maybe I just really lucky.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

That sounds like a safer more versatile guitar to buy. Also if you chose to you will have few problems selling it to change to another guitar.
Quote by | Lightning |
ok, I'm going to buy the strat
Good choice. I love my HWY One Strat. The stock bridge pickup is actually pretty good. Very similar sounding to my SD JB in another guitar. The Strat is so comfortable to play, sitting on the couch, standing, or rocking out on stage. The HWY One necks are also C-shaped, which is very easy to hold and play.

IMO, the Faded Gibsons are dissapointing. I've played Epiphones that looked, played and sounded better.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Necrobump!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?