Hey guys, I have to audition for LESSONS this coming fall for college. Lessons?
But anyway. I already have a contemporary piece that I am preparing for my audition, but I also need a contrasting...I guess classical styled solo, classical guitar piece.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm not the best classical guitar player yet, I mean I'm decent, but I'm much better at electric. I was looking for something of moderate to short length that wouldn't be too challenging that I could learn for my "audition." I know a lot of Carcassi, so I'm not really interested in that, but anything else would be great.

I'd prefer GP5 or even standard notation if it was available.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
are they going to let you do more than one song? if so, why not play to your strengths and give them a couple different styles of music that you're best at playing rather than trying to learn something you're not as good at?
Quote by patticake
are they going to let you do more than one song? if so, why not play to your strengths and give them a couple different styles of music that you're best at playing rather than trying to learn something you're not as good at?

Well, it's two songs of contrasting period and difficulty.

I'd love to whip out my electric guitar, but I'm auditioning for classical lessons as I want to work on classical guitar more.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
capricho arabe. pretty short piece, only five minutes long, not too difficult, and very fun to play, especially when messing around with dynamics.

bach's bourree in b minor partita for violin solo no.1. im working on that right now, and that is a bit more difficult, in my opinion at least. but if you can tackle it, also fun to do.

if you're in the mood for epic, asturias is recommended. takes me about 7 and a half minutes, but then i don't play it the fastest. ana vidovic does it in 5 and a half, john williams in 6 and a half, segovia in 8.
Quote by masterp666
capricho arabe. pretty short piece, only five minutes long, not too difficult, and very fun to play, especially when messing around with dynamics.

bach's bourree in b minor partita for violin solo no.1. im working on that right now, and that is a bit more difficult, in my opinion at least. but if you can tackle it, also fun to do.

if you're in the mood for epic, asturias is recommended. takes me about 7 and a half minutes, but then i don't play it the fastest. ana vidovic does it in 5 and a half, john williams in 6 and a half, segovia in 8.

I really like Capricho Arabe, thanks for that one.
I love asturias as well, but I can't play it on my current classical guitar, when I get a new one though I should be able to.

By the way, I also really like that Villa lobos. Thanks for those.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 14, 2009,
Hey, I second Villa-Lobos, he was actually who I was going to recommend,

BUT, I was going to say the Prelude No. 4, from his 5 Preludes for Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJXSDTFfGY

The problem is that the piece is REALLY easy to butcher, it takes a good deal of mastery to give the melody enough attention and the arpeggios enough quietude.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Hey, I second Villa-Lobos, he was actually who I was going to recommend,

BUT, I was going to say the Prelude No. 4, from his 5 Preludes for Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJXSDTFfGY

The problem is that the piece is REALLY easy to butcher, it takes a good deal of mastery to give the melody enough attention and the arpeggios enough quietude.

Man, I would love to learn that. But some of those runs are way beyond me.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
There is artistic interpretation, you know,

The speed some performers reach in that section is not necessarily the standard.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
There is artistic interpretation, you know,

The speed some performers reach in that section is not necessarily the standard.

Ah, good point, I might give that a shot then. It's just mind blowing watching John Williams play it haha.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Go with Villa Lobos or Tarrega, any of the suite espanola (albeniz) is probably too advanced.
I play Marieta by Tarrega, its only 3 1/2 minutes. Its not technically hard (Carcassi focuses alot on technique) but it has so much room for making music.
Villa lobos is probably my favorite composer at the moment, so id recommend anything by him.

Or you could even go renaissance and play "Guardame Las Vacas" or a Sarabande or something.