So im working on my partcaster this summer and i had a custom neck made, so i needed a new nut. i took my neck to the shop and the guy there found me a graphite nut to put in it. He says it fits width wise which it does, but its too long on both sides and really high. (like 1/16-1/8 of an inch). Now, should i just sand it down on the sides or the bottom too. I have never done work like this before on my guitar and i figure its time to learn so... Also, is just generic wood glue good for attaching the neck with screws (its a typical fender strat joint) and nut or some special wood glue. Thanks for any response
~Defiant~
First off, just bolt the neck on. there isn't enough surface area for a set neck.

Second: He may have given you a 1 11/16" long nut and you have a 1 5/8" neck. That's an easy fix. I'd slot my own nut though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
First off, just bolt the neck on. there isn't enough surface area for a set neck. .

for this i just meant should i glue the neck when bolting it or will that cause problems

Quote by oneblackened

Second: He may have given you a 1 11/16" long nut and you have a 1 5/8" neck. That's an easy fix. I'd slot my own nut though.

and the nut he gave me is an 1 11/16 or 1 49/64 close enough. do i sand just the sides or do i sand the bottom too. what im trying to get at is how high off the fretboard should the nut be... or is that just personal prefrence and it wont matter as long as its level.
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
for this i just meant should i glue the neck when bolting it or will that cause problems
Nah. Gluing won't improve the joint much on a bolt neck design. And it makes it impossible to remove. Screws only.

Quote by Aurex
and the nut he gave me is an 1 11/16 or 1 49/64 close enough. do i sand just the sides or do i sand the bottom too. what im trying to get at is how high off the fretboard should the nut be... or is that just personal prefrence and it wont matter as long as its level.
The bottom of the nut slots should be in a straight line extended from the top of the frets.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Nah. Gluing won't improve the joint much on a bolt neck design. And it makes it impossible to remove. Screws only.

The bottom of the nut slots should be in a straight line extended from the top of the frets.

ok so the nut i have is this
http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/prod_img/g/graphtech_pt-5010-00.jpg
and your saying it should be to the bottom of the low e string's saddle?

and ty rjackson i thought it was lulzy and somone might look at the thread if it was so.
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Jul 13, 2009,
Hi SYK! It's been a while

But to the TS, if you glue on the nut, use Elmer's glue so it's easy to remove afterwards.
Quote by Aurex
ok so the nut i have is this
http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/prod_img/g/graphtech_pt-5010-00.jpg
and your saying it should be to the bottom of the low e string's saddle?
No, I'm saying if you drew a straight line across the top of your frets it would point at the bottom of the nut slot.

Quote by minichibi
Hi SYK! It's been a while

But to the TS, if you glue on the nut, use Elmer's glue so it's easy to remove afterwards.
Hey sweetie! too long. stop by the jim thread and say hello to the boys, eh?

I like the idea of something weak like Elmers. There really isn't need for much strength. Just enough to keep the nut from shifting and vibrating.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.