might be noob question. I hear talk that the original boss pedals made in japan were better than the new ones made in the usa. ie- ds1. However im just wondering as to whether or not this is just some stupid urban legend.lol As far as circuitry goes.... circuitry is circuitry. regardless of where they are made. arent they pretty much exactly the same? My ds-1 is a made in usa. does it matter?

srry if its a stupid question
There's a difference between USA and Russian EHX Big Muff Pi pedals, because the different factories had to use different component models; or the blueprint changed between factory changes.
i thought newer ds-1s were made in china or somewhere like that?
could be wrong tho
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
i thought newer ds-1s were made in china or somewhere like that?
could be wrong tho

generally, Boss is made in Taiwan.
In either case, there is by no means the sort of difference that exists between the Russian Muff and the NYC Muff. The workmanship might be better on one, but that should be it.
did you mean Japan vs Taiwan, TS ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
did you mean Japan vs Taiwan, TS ?

+1, as far I as know boss has never made pedals in the US, especially not new ones.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It's Japan and Taiwan TS. It's not just location. They changed the circuits on many pedals and continue to change them all the time. They also switched to cheaper parts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
It's Japan and Taiwan TS. It's not just location. They changed the circuits on many pedals and continue to change them all the time. They also switched to cheaper parts.

Not, true the pedals that were made originaly that are still made didn't change much at all as far as circuit goes, just cheaper workmanship and cheaper components. Also, most of their newer designs aren't very good, and that's another reason why poeple say Boss pedals were better when they were made in Japan. But like I said, a SD 1 from 1980 will have identical circuits to the newer ones, but will be more cheaply made.
Older Boss stuff is made in Japan, newer stuff is made in Taiwan. Roland/Boss is a Japanese company, not American.

And like the others said, cheaper parts.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Sguit
Not, true the pedals that were made originaly that are still made didn't change much at all as far as circuit goes, just cheaper workmanship and cheaper components. Also, most of their newer designs aren't very good, and that's another reason why poeple say Boss pedals were better when they were made in Japan. But like I said, a SD 1 from 1980 will have identical circuits to the newer ones, but will be more cheaply made.

It depends on the pedal. I'm pretty sure the DS-1 had a major circuit change at one point with tweaks every now and then, I'll have to look up a schematic for the MIJ. The DD-3's only change is related to having to change chips and like you said, the SD-1 hasn't changed at all. But also like you said, the components have become crappier and that's what I believe to be the biggest factor as I think when they redesigned the circuit in the DS-1, they attempted to capture the sound of the previous design with a cost saving circuit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

thanks :-) all very good responses. Does this mean an old boss from the 80's would be worth more then a new one from today? I recently purchased a ds-1 for $80 AU(billy hyde), but b4 a purchased it another dude tried to sell me his old 80's ds-1 for $100AU.... and his reason for having it so much higher then the billy hyde retail price was bcuz "its better circuitry" - overall i think an excuse like that is bs.
The 80s DS-1s are much better than the new ones but still aren't all that good. They are worth quite a bit more on the used market here though. You got screwed on the DS-1. They're like $40 new here and you can get em for half that used.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ in case you didn't notice, he's an Aussie. which would mean the price is jacked to hell for him.
Yea, that's why I said he got screwed. All Aussie's get screwed in terms of gear.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah, they do. shame really. just looking over the prices of a few things on billy hyde makes me cringe.
billy hyde is the greatest theif known to man - more so than robi nhood and his jolly outlaws.... the workers at billy hydes are never even jolly haha. Ok all thanks for the help
TS,my DS-2 was $75 AUD second hand.ALWAYS go second hand TS,always.
Australia has insanely high prices on gear,especially amps.
Think about it this way.If I had bought my epiphone Tony Iommi new here,I would probably been able to buy an SG standard in the U.S
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Aren't Roland a japanese company and boss is like an off-shoot of roland? they don't make pedals in america anyway afaik.

the new boss pedals are made in taiwan - most are the same but the DS-1 has gone through a few changes since they were made in japan and as a result the newer models sound a lot cheaper than the MIJs. they replaced the opamp chip several times so the newer DS-1s have very dry colourless distortion and a very treble edged sound with little bass output making a balanced tone quite difficult to achieve with some amplifiers, and also making it pretty much useless for anything other than boosting a tube amp. The older MIJs by contrast sounded smoother - still quite harsh as that's the whole point of the DS-1, and still a bit sterile, but they had a more balanced output making it more usable as a stand-alone distortion unit. The newer DS-2s are said to be closer to the sound of the MIJ DS-1s and according to guitargeek.com the MIT DS-2s are no different from the old MIJs along with most other boss pedals.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.