when you decided to get your second electric guitar? i know it varies from person to person, but i feel like i need a new guitar to advance my playing even though im not too great myself..my guitar doesnt stay in tune very well and often cuts out when i switch to the middle pickup (i play a fender starcaster)
No one deserves any certain level of guitar - just buy as good a setup as you can afford.
Quote by blue_strat
No one deserves any certain level of guitar - just buy as good a setup as you can afford.

i know, but im just wanting to see how long it took people to advance compared to me.
I played my first guitar for 3 years, then went to a Jay Turser after that, which was only $100 and only SLIGHTLY better. After a year of that guitar I bought an Epiphone Les Paul, but's that's only because I had just got my first job and got my first paycheck.

I just bought a new one today, and I had my Epiphone for 2 years.
It took me a while before I moved up to my Tele from my Ibanez GSA60... Three years I think? And then another four after that before I decided to start saving for my PRS.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
First guitar.

Learnt smoke on the water.

Seconds guitar...
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
I bought my Yngwie when I got as good as him. j/k

I got my Yngwie this past winter after about 4-5 years of playing. I'm pretty good, not to sound cocky, but you asked how good we were.
I knew the pentatonic scale and could play very basic lead guitar. I probably bought a new guitar too soon, but luckily I've kept playing and my investment wasn't wasted.
played my squier strat for about half a year (even though we had it for around 5 years) then got my dean razorback which is still good to me. Then my 3rd guitar a year later my kh-602.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
to me it's more about committment to playing than how good you are. the reason to get a cheap first guitar in the first place is so your not wasting your money if you quit playing for any reason.

if you're serious about playing than you should get a second guitar if your first is really low-end.

it took me a year btw.
Yeah, if you play a lot and enjoy it then get a good guitar, if you play occasionally and aren't very committed then don't bother. Just weigh up how much money's worth of playing you will do on it, I upgraded to a Korean Strat after 2 years.
I played for three years with my Fender Standard Fat Strat until the body developed a crack in the neck pocket.

that's when i got my first Jackson.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Don't worry about that, it's all about what you need to progress. I had a decent starter guitar, saved up a lot of money from work and bought an American Standard Strat. My playing definitely wasn't "good" enough for the guitar, but I bought it with my own money and learned to play far better on it. Just get what you want man.
My teacher actually secretly talked to my dad saying I needed a second guitar and that I was getting good in a short time.

So, I was beginner advanced (meaning I could play stuff that's on the easier side of advanced) when I got my first actual guitar, so about seven months into playing.
Quote by TheDissident
Don't worry about that, it's all about what you need to progress. I had a decent starter guitar, saved up a lot of money from work and bought an American Standard Strat. My playing definitely wasn't "good" enough for the guitar, but I bought it with my own money and learned to play far better on it. Just get what you want man.

Alright thanks for the response..im thinking of saving up for a MIM strat since ive heard its a HUGE leap up from my current guitar
i could play buckethead/paul gilbert licks (gilbert's 3 string "string skipping" arppegios and the lick that buckethead and paul always use.

however, i could also improvise WELL on blues and rock.

i know where your coming from tho. i based my second guitar on my skill level too.
well, i was given a vintage gibson sg custom with vibrola after i played for like 6 months if that counts... bought a gibson les paul not a year and half after i started playing.

all in all just buy whatever you can afford at the time whos to say when you need a upgrade except yourself man.
Quote by Dog--
I played my first guitar for 3 years, then went to a Jay Turser after that, which was only $100 and only SLIGHTLY better. After a year of that guitar I bought an Epiphone Les Paul, but's that's only because I had just got my first job and got my first paycheck.

I just bought a new one today, and I had my Epiphone for 2 years.

yur first job's first paycheck bought you a $400 guitar? piss, my first paycheck was like $100. unless yur first job was fulltime and not minimum wage, and not at price chopper.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
oh right, gotta post on topic. uh, i still sorta sucked when i got my second guitar. but i got good money for my birthday and had to get a new guitar, because that's me.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
I went from a yard sale harmony to a squier strat after a few months. I still sucked.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
im still looking for some Epiphone Les Paul Standard and i play acoustic guitar since 3 years and electric guitar since 1.5
today i learned "Master of Puppets" on 20 minutes so you can imagine my skills
i want a new guitar!!!
Hola.
i think you should be better to deserve a new piece of equipment... but at the same time, sometimes an old guitar can hold you back. who knows? maybe you need a wizard neck to hit your potential. or maybe you need a nice floyd rose to show what you can do. maybe you need a nice 4x12 amp?

anyway, when you think you're ready, you're ready.
Had my Schecter Damien 6 for about a year then I got an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul. Couple of months later got a Ibanez RG320 for the Floyd Rose. Then got a Fender Strat for my birthday about a year later. Since then I have built 1 guitar and got a couple of acoustics.

Kinda funny because I started playing when I was twelve and pretty much spent all of my money from my job on guitars for the next 3 years!
3-4 years then got second guitar
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
I got a squire for christmas and then four years later got my schecter. Then two years later I got my ibanez. Now i'm working towards a PRS...
But to answer your question, not very. In the years of playing my squire I was still back in my blink182/green day/tons of other punk/pop crap stage. I was just getting out of that and learning to play heavier and slightly more difficult stuff.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
i only had my first electric for about 6 months before i got my second. it wasnt anything about getting better, just about wanting one with a fixed bridge