Poll: Which first?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which first?
Vocal Melodies
18 53%
Lyrics
16 47%
Voters: 34.
Which makes it easier for you to write: writing the vocal melodies first and adapting them for the lyrics, or righting the lyrics first and creating vocal melodies to fit them?

So far I've found it easier to create vocal melodies if I thought of random phrases to go with them, so I think lyrics first would be a lot better. I'm mostly wondering what more experienced composers think.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by killerscorpion
Which ever one I think of first.

This, music should come out of what you feel fits.
Quote by killerscorpion
Which ever one I think of first.

This.

When I write it tends to come out in the form of melody first. I write music to my mood. When I finish the product I usually have an idea of what I want the lyrics to be like and how they fit to the song and I work on them.
I normally do a general melody first, then write the lyrics with the melody in mind but not strictly adhering to it, then I adapt the melody and the lyrics until I'm happy with it.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I do both at the same time when I write. I always switch between melody and lyrics instantly, comin gup with rhymes and stuff, as I hum the melody, and adjust the melody to fit the sentences I write down.
normally melody - though i do sometimes write lyrics first. When i'm writing melody first i often fill in totally random words about batteries or hangars or whatever i can see to get a feel for the sound before putting actually words and sentences in.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
For me it goes chords/riffs, then lyrics, then vocal melody, then all the final little details.
yeah, but how do you compose the melody? Fiddling with the guitar or does it just come to you?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
yeah, but how do you compose the melody? Fiddling with the guitar or does it just come to you?

I can generally 'feel' it. You get a kind of idea in your head, and you start humming along.